100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shaft too long.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Question Shaft too long.

I have a three wood but the shaft is too long. What are my options if I want to come back to 3 wood standard length?

Do I need to get a new shaft or is it possible to cut it without loosing the desired flex.

Specs:

Proforce 65 golf low torque S-flex.

Thanks
    Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The reality is that it will be very hard to get EXACTLY the same flex / feel in a shorter shaft of the same make.

Making it shorter will tend to make it stiffer, with a greater impact if you trim from the tip vs. the butt.

Unless it's more than 1", I suspect you won't notice a difference if you just take it off from the butt end.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    The reality is that it will be very hard to get EXACTLY the same flex / feel in a shorter shaft of the same make.
    Making it shorter will tend to make it stiffer, with a greater impact if you trim from the tip vs. the butt.
    Unless it's more than 1", I suspect you won't notice a difference if you just take it off from the butt end.
    When you buy a wood shaft, don’t they come in standard length and then you cut them down to the desired length? Doesn’t that change the specs of the shaft?

You are saying that if I take the grip off, cut the shaft from the handle (butt end of the club) and replace the grip I should not see a difference.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    When you buy a wood shaft, don’t they come in standard length and then you cut them down to the desired length? Doesn’t that change the specs of the shaft?
    There's no true standard for length or flex in a shaft. Each shaft comes with a set of trimming instructions but even these are just guidelines.

For example, most instructions say trim 1" from the tip of the shaft for a 3-W then trim from the butt end as required. There's nothing stopping you from only taking 1/2" off or 1 1/2" if you prefer. It all comes down to what you prefer.

Because the tip end of a shaft is less rigid than the butt end, if you take 1" off the tip the shaft will be stiffer than if you take 1" off the butt.

In terms of specs, if you measured the frequency of the shaft before and after trimming, you will see a difference.

You are saying that if I take the grip off, cut the shaft from the handle (butt end of the club) and replace the grip I should not see a difference.
    That's correct. You should remember that the swingweight of the club will also decrease as you make it shorter so you may notice a difference in feel from that but the overall flex will probably not be affected.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Choke down on the club and hit it for a while. See if you like it or feels different. Use a piece of masking tape as a reminder.

Thread Information