CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fivesomes?

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar

fivesomes?

I must admit I have never really heard of/seen them before today. I came across a course directory that has information on whether or not the course allows fivesomes. Some of the sites say that fivesomes are allowed based on the management's discretion.

My question is, what is the benefit of a fivesome? Is this something that is catching on to get more people on the course or simply to accomodate a larger group? Anyone see them on local courses?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

tecumseh

I see 5somes on this course all of the time. It is a semi-private course and on weekends especially if you want o play you need to get there early to avoid running into them. My experience has been that they let you through pretty quickly.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    It's mostly when two foursomes (or threesomes) have no-shows. Buddies like to stick together. They figure they're taking up less time than two separate groups. It's really pretty rare, but you do hear about it at times.

The fact is that a two and a three move faster than a five, and the time you save by eliminating a tee time is more than eaten up by the turn from the extra player.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Andru
    I've played in a group of five and we were done in 4 hours an 15 minutes. 3 pros and 2 single digit handicaps no one finished over 80. No searching for balls, No reloads.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    The fact is that a two and a three move faster than a five, and the time you save by eliminating a tee time is more than eaten up by the turn from the extra player.
    I played in a fivesome on Malone on Sunday (starter let us combine a twosome and threesome into one tee time), and did not find this to be the case. The course was busy so were often waiting a few minutes on every tee anyway - we had no problem keeping up with the foursome in front of us and the foursome behind us only caught us once because we were waiting on one particular tee for over 10 minutes. If we had split into two groups I'm sure the groups behind us would have been held up.
    Last edited by el tigre; 06-09-2005 at 12:07 PM.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

"Richard"
    We had a 4some and a 3 some booked last week. One of the 4's didn't show so we were left with a 3 and a 3 so when the lady found out we were all together she put us as 4 and 2. One of the guys in the 2 left after 9 holes and it was a good thing, he played his worst round ever mand had he stayed he most likely would have broke his clubs over his knee. So now we had a 4 and a 1. One of my idiot friends said lets just play 5. It will work out to the same thing since we are basically "deleting" one of the groups off the course and that will save the group behind is 15 minutes over the course. True.. but when they catch up and see a 5 some they will be pissed because no one thinks "hey we saved 15 minutes back there by not waiting so we don't care if we are stuck behind these guys now." Finally when he realized how stupid his idea was he said ok lets break into 2 and 3.. which obviously would piss the guy off behind us even more since it would be like adding a group right infront of him. Luckily the marshal came by and told us off and said one of you will have to leave and we nominated the smarty pants who's idea it was. We would have let them through but there was a group behind them as well and behind them. The rest of us felt really bad bad so wegave the cart lady $50 and told her to buy those guys a drink on the group ahead and sorry for the 5 somea nd the slow play.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I don't care how many are in your group as long as you're keeping up the pace of play. Just be ready when it's your turn whether you're in a two-some or a five-some. But, if you're falling behind the pace of the group in front of you, you'll have some ticked-off groups behind you, regardless of the size of your group. Tradition ettiquette states (where it states this I have no idea), that fivesomes are generally a no-no.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Finally when he realized how stupid his idea was he said ok lets break into 2 and 3.. which obviously would piss the guy off behind us even more since it would be like adding a group right infront of him. Luckily the marshal came by and told us off and said one of you will have to leave and we nominated the smarty pants who's idea it was.
    I can't see why ending up as two groups would cause a problem since that is how you started. The marshall actually told one of your guys to leave the course? Does not seem very fair. I would have been pretty pissed.

"Richard"
    yup, he said "how did you guys go from a booking of a 4 and a 3 to one 5 some? We explaned and he said "well the other groups have caught up and you are slowing them down now because you aren't keeping up with the group infront. He said we don't "own" the course and can't do what we want and that one of us would have to leave. So we all picked the retard to put us in that position. He wasn't to happy when we got to the club house and asked all of us to split his green free 4 ways and give him his money back. So since we got booted on the 13th we gave him back $3.47 each and never played with him again. We actually gave him $3.47, not even $3.50, that was my idea. I figured it would be funnier than giving him nothing and then we could run around telling people how cheap he was that he asked us for $3.47. We are so imature but after that I've been pretty good for the most part

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    yup, he said "how did you guys go from a booking of a 4 and a 3 to one 5 some? We explaned and he said "well the other groups have caught up and you are slowing them down now because you aren't keeping up with the group infront. He said we don't "own" the course and can't do what we want and that one of us would have to leave. So we all picked the retard to put us in that position. He wasn't to happy when we got to the club house and asked all of us to split his green free 4 ways and give him his money back. So since we got booted on the 13th we gave him back $3.47 each and never played with him again. We actually gave him $3.47, not even $3.50, that was my idea. I figured it would be funnier than giving him nothing and then we could run around telling people how cheap he was that he asked us for $3.47. We are so imature but after that I've been pretty good for the most part
    That is retarded, since you paid for 6 golfers and one left, no matter how you mix and match the remaining 5 you are still not going to hold up those behind more than if the 6th member had stayed. I feel bad for the guy you nominated to leave the course. All he did was make a suggestion to prevent one of your buddies playing alone.

The marshall sounds like a small man with a power trip.
    Last edited by Hank Hill; 06-09-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I've never had a problem playing more than 4 with my group of friends. Most of us are single digit caps, and though we like to beat each other, one quick look at a putt is usually all that is needed.

Like what was mentioned before, play when you are ready. The delays will come around the greens, so unless you are in anothers line, look at your putt while others are putting.

In a fivesome, common sense is a must. I like helping someone find their ball, but I won't do so if my ball is 75 yards away on the other side of the hole, that would just cause more delays.

"Richard"
    my suggestion was to simple have one of the guys ahead wait behind to play with the single guy. That way it was 3-2 instead of 4-1 or 5-0

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    my suggestion was to simple have one of the guys ahead wait behind to play with the single guy. That way it was 3-2 instead of 4-1 or 5-0
    I dont get your whole story.

1) Why not just make it 3/2 mix after the one guy left
    2) why didnt you insist on going out as 3 / 3 in the first place
    3) why didn't the 5th guy get his money back at the pro shop

And except for pros and single digit handicaps, 3 somes with the same skills move faster than 5 somes...igroups of 5 shouldn't be allowed out.

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    That is retarded, since you paid for 6 golfers and one left, no matter how you mix and match the remaining 5 you are still not going to hold up those behind more than if the 6th member had stayed. I feel bad for the guy you nominated to leave the course. All he did was make a suggestion to prevent one of your buddies playing alone.

The marshall sounds like a small man with a power trip.

I agree that is retarded.. You had two groups to begin with.. Why not just go back to playing two groups as a 3 and a 2? I can't believe a marshall made you leave the course.. Did you nominate this option before he thought of it? Seems odd to make one of your friends leave the course and then diss him by giving him change. I thought his idea was fine.. Anyway slightly odd. Perhaps I don't get what happened.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    Seems odd to make one of your friends leave the course and then diss him by giving him change.
    I think the following statement says it all really:

We are so imature but after that I've been pretty good for the most part.

We are so imature but after that I've been pretty good for the most part

But this happened last week... His maturity level has greatly changed since then

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    But this happened last week... His maturity level has greatly changed since then
    LOL

"Richard"
    yes but you are also speaking to the guy just played a double round a few days ago and golf pretty much everyday this week. Come to think of it I've played 8 rounds in the past 7 days Its lot dog years for me. one week of golf for me is the same as a month of golf for others.

Thread Information