CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: US Open

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I think Retief isn't "good at everything" unless you mean he's "slightly above average at everything" relatively to the other guys. As mberube points out, Retief doesn't win as often as the other big 4, which is likely because he's more of a steady player and doesn't make tons of birdies/eagles.

It's really neat watching him, because he's really fluid, but he's also very boring... I prefer a bit of swagger. Wish Sergio was doing a bit better...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Retief seems to be "good at everything" this week. I'll bet Phil and Tiger wish they were more "boring" like Retief this week. I don't see how he can lose unless someone shoots a really low score tomorrow and Retief shoots par or less.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Like Chamblee said on the Golf Channel tonight, he doesn't think anyone has a 65 or 66 in them on that course, so Retief could probably go out and shoot 70-73 and take home his 3 (back to back) Open titles.

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    I've rethought my statement before, and I would like to add that the biggest reason I think is because of his patience. When he makes a bogey it doesn't seem to affect him very much, he doesn't feel that he has to go out on the next hole and make a birdie, he just waits for it to happen. On US Open courses I think that's what you have to do, it doesn't work so well on easier courses because you have to be extremely aggressive and make birdies to keep up.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Here comes Tiger!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    Here comes Tiger!
    Weird thing to say considering he's not really "coming"... More like everyone is falling back! Talk about a tourney nobody wants to win!!!

Hilarity.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Barnie
    Wowzers.. Retief is losing it hard.. +5 after 6 holes and tiger's now 2 back..

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Weird thing to say considering he's not really "coming"... More like everyone is falling back! Talk about a tourney nobody wants to win!!!

Hilarity.

Dan
    True, but Tiger is still playing farily well, going to be a back 9!

Nice 4 rounds for Michael Campbell

Nice to see Cambo win his first Major with 4 solid rounds and some crazy putting to come in at Even par. Hard to believe the Goose's collapse.
    Cheers.

I guess his 81 gives all the critics more of a reason not to include the Goose in the so called "Big Four". Feel bad for the guy, just had to go out and shoot a 72 and he goes back to back. Too bad.

Some nice perks go with a win of the US Open for Campbell:
    Earns a five-year exemption on the PGA TOUR and earns an exemption into the U.S. Open for 10 years.
    Also earns five-year exemptions to THE PLAYERS Championship, Masters Tournament, British Open and PGA Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    I guess his 81 gives all the critics more of a reason not to include the Goose in the so called "Big Four". Feel bad for the guy, just had to go out and shoot a 72 and he goes back to back. Too bad.
    Yeah it is too bad, but it happens to the best of them, remember Tiger at the British Open when he shot 80 something a few years ago.

Yeah but Tiger didn't have a 3 shot lead going into the final round. And on a course like a US Open course a 3 stroke lead is huge. I think Goosen just was a little too relaxed for the final round.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    Yeah but Tiger didn't have a 3 shot lead going into the final round. And on a course like a US Open course a 3 stroke lead is huge. I think Goosen just was a little too relaxed for the final round.
    Have you never played a round where things are just 'off' and everything you do just seems to make it worse? Putts don't drop, you get the worst lies, etc?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Have you never played a round where things are just 'off' and everything you do just seems to make it worse? Putts don't drop, you get the worst lies, etc?
    I did in a 2-round tournament this weekend in Kingston. I shot 90-89 on a course that I've played at least 150 rounds, where I've broken par a handfull of times, and shot at least half of the rest in the 70's. I played better in the same event last year in a 60 km/h gale. Depressing for sure.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    How about in the same round?

37 front, 47 back this weekend.

BTW, my "prediction" of par +/- 2 was right on. I should do this for a living.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

The Goose

Put yourself on Pinehurst #2 in those conditions. Imagine your swing is a little off, and then see how you would do!
    Hey it happens to the best of them. Goosen in my mind is still in the "BIG FIVE" Hell Phil shot 77, uhhhhhhhh Mikey did not do to well.
    Still it was a shock to see The Goose do what he did. But I liked his comments afterwards "No one died out there today"

In other words, sure I blew a Major but I am still alive to play again. Great attitude.
    Remember last year at Shinne? Big Ernie shot 80 in the final group.
    Rough like we saw at Pinehurst will eat your lunch in a big way if you get in it. Top that off with the way the greens were and you are in big trouble. Seems to me no one is saying much about Mr Woods blown pars on 16 and 17. Hmmmmmmmmmm
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information