CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road

Need a psychologist, not a swing coach

Started out this year with a goal: swing like Ernie. Nice and smooth, no jerkiness. Never break sweat at the driving range and no blisters on my hands. Everything was looking good and I was getting more distance with less effort.

I read the article on 1-plane vs. 2-plane swing and decided to give the two plane a try. Worked great for me. Hitting far and straight. Two weeks ago I even had the best 9 holes (45) of my short, 2 year career. Ever since that round though, I seem to have gotten back into my old swing for the fences mode. The feeling of confidence I got in that round seemed to tell me I could swing as hard as I want and have it work. Now I can't hit anything. I'm topping and chunking and shanking and sweating and my hands are torn up and I'm so frustrated I'm ready to give the game up. I've gone back to the one-plane swing because it seems to be more like science and less like art and at least I'm not totally stinking now but it really hurts to feel like all your progress has just disapppeared.

The worst part of it is that I know exactly what I'm doing wrong but I just can't seem to stop. I can manage a couple of nice shots by forcing myself to slow down but then I just start grunting away again. When I overswing my front leg straightens and my head comes up and I top it. When I force myself to stay down, I wind up chunking it a couple inches behind the ball. *sigh* I'm not really looking for anything, just ranting. I'm just going to have to go back to basics and slow it down and let the club do the work. I'm stubborn about being self taught but I'm really getting close to going for some lessons.

cheers,

Kris

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    It's good to want to be good. It's not good to want to be good fast. If you want to teach yourself, that's fine. Just don't try to do it all at once. Pick something basic and work on it. Then once you're comfortable with that, work on something else, and so on. And never underestimate the value of a well executed practice swing, or two. Your telling your brain to focus on the task at hand and reminding your body "okay, this is what we're trying to do."
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by kewarken
    Started out this year with a goal: swing like Ernie. Nice and smooth, no jerkiness. Never break sweat at the driving range and no blisters on my hands. Everything was looking good and I was getting more distance with less effort.

I read the article on 1-plane vs. 2-plane swing and decided to give the two plane a try. Worked great for me. Hitting far and straight. Two weeks ago I even had the best 9 holes (45) of my short, 2 year career. Ever since that round though, I seem to have gotten back into my old swing for the fences mode. The feeling of confidence I got in that round seemed to tell me I could swing as hard as I want and have it work. Now I can't hit anything. I'm topping and chunking and shanking and sweating and my hands are torn up and I'm so frustrated I'm ready to give the game up. I've gone back to the one-plane swing because it seems to be more like science and less like art and at least I'm not totally stinking now but it really hurts to feel like all your progress has just disapppeared.

The worst part of it is that I know exactly what I'm doing wrong but I just can't seem to stop. I can manage a couple of nice shots by forcing myself to slow down but then I just start grunting away again. When I overswing my front leg straightens and my head comes up and I top it. When I force myself to stay down, I wind up chunking it a couple inches behind the ball. *sigh* I'm not really looking for anything, just ranting. I'm just going to have to go back to basics and slow it down and let the club do the work. I'm stubborn about being self taught but I'm really getting close to going for some lessons.

cheers,

Kris
    Just wondering why do you need a psychologist? Do you think your swing problems are mental or physical? It is hard to tell in your post. Sounds like a mix of the 2 and it probably is and when one starts working well then the other usually follows. If your swing isen't on right now don't give up because you know you have the potential to play better, so stick with it. Now if mentally you are struggling that is a lot harder to balance than a minor change in yout swing. So ask yourself are my problems with my swing more mental or more physical? Once you find out what it is then work at it, but like the previous post said it takes time and patience.

Andru

cheers,

Kris
    You're hopeless, just quit dude.

Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    Just wondering why do you need a psychologist? Do you think your swing problems are mental or physical? It is hard to tell in your post. Sounds like a mix of the 2 and it probably is and when one starts working well then the other usually follows. If your swing isen't on right now don't give up because you know you have the potential to play better, so stick with it. Now if mentally you are struggling that is a lot harder to balance than a minor change in yout swing. So ask yourself are my problems with my swing more mental or more physical? Once you find out what it is then work at it, but like the previous post said it takes time and patience.
    It seems reasonable that when you're playing very well and then suddenly play very badly that at least part of it is mental. In the absense of any injuries or swing changes, it's got to be in my head right? Of course, it's not impossible that my swing has changed without my being aware of it. One of the most annoying things about learning this game is the fragility of the swing. It seems like some very small things can make a huge difference and you don't always realize what they are. I suppose that's where another set of eyes is handy. I expect it just takes a long time to develop a solid, repeatable swing.

cheers,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    You're hopeless, just quit dude.
    Excellent suggestion and not at all outside the realm of possibilities. I often wish I had taken up crack smoking instead of golf. It's cheaper, less addictive and has less impact on your life/personality.

I play a lot of sports but golf is the only one where I'm struck by an overwhelming sense of beauty. The tradition and honour of the game. The inner peace and stillness, the zen that you need to find to execute the shot. The feeling of competing with no one but yourself and the course. The knowledge that every now and then you can manage to make a shot that is just as good as anyone in the world could have executed. Golf is the humbler, the great equalizer, the temptress, the tease that every now and then gives you a little taste of greatness and then crushes your spirit with a case of the shanks.

There's a photo book in Chapters called "Lost Balls" that makes me smile, laugh and almost brings a tear to my eye. Filled with tough lies and odd situations, poignant pictures of long abandoned balls and funny pictures of the meeting of man and nature, it sums up this game to me in ways words never can.

I wish I could quit.

Kris

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    I feel your pain man! I too have seen vast improvement this year, but lately my ball striking has been absolutely attrocious. Slicing woods and long irons, shanking short irons, duffing approach shots. But as you say.... I can't quit.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road

cheers,

Kris
    Kris, I sent you a PM
    Dan

Ah...my game (such as it is) is back. Played my tournament on monday at the Canadian. I went to the warmpup range a bit early and went back to the basics. Balanced athletic stance, good shoulder turn, smooth backswing, easy downswing. Hitting the balls really well, no excess motion or effort.

It was a scramble so my friends and I like to make ticks by our names on the score sheet to see whose balls were kept. Got off to a bit of a slow start but then started hitting really well. I noticed something that I had forgotten: my left (lead) wrist was breaking down (cupping?) on the backswing and when I made it a point to keep that flat, things really started working well. In the end we shot 75 of which 29 were mine.

Sometimes being more simple is the key I guess. My friend was taking some video with his camera and I thought my swing looked alright although the video was from a very awkward angle. It wasn't one of my better shots and I could definitely see my wrists breaking down at the top of the backswing. I probably should slow the backswing down a bit and not over-extend myself. Also I think my backswing is very low. I bring it around like a bat (this was a 3-wood) which explains why I rarely take divots but rather sweep the ball off the grass. Obviously I'm steeper with irons (and bent over more) but it looks like I might need some adjustment there.

Perhaps this time I'll go see a professional instead of monkeying with my swing myself. Might save me some headaches.

cheers,

Kris

Andru
    Excellent suggestion and not at all outside the realm of possibilities. I often wish I had taken up crack smoking instead of golf. It's cheaper, less addictive and has less impact on your life/personality.

I play a lot of sports but golf is the only one where I'm struck by an overwhelming sense of beauty. The tradition and honour of the game. The inner peace and stillness, the zen that you need to find to execute the shot. The feeling of competing with no one but yourself and the course. The knowledge that every now and then you can manage to make a shot that is just as good as anyone in the world could have executed. Golf is the humbler, the great equalizer, the temptress, the tease that every now and then gives you a little taste of greatness and then crushes your spirit with a case of the shanks.

There's a photo book in Chapters called "Lost Balls" that makes me smile, laugh and almost brings a tear to my eye. Filled with tough lies and odd situations, poignant pictures of long abandoned balls and funny pictures of the meeting of man and nature, it sums up this game to me in ways words never can.

I wish I could quit.

Kris
    haha

I'm glad you took the comment in the light hearted spirit is was intended. The thing that makes me want to quit is my lag putting, it's killing me. turns easy 2 putts into 3 and 4 putts. anything outside of 30 feet becomes a nightmare. but like you, I can't escape all the good it does for me.

Cheers

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Keep at it. After a year of hard work my swing fundamentals are now reasonably sound. It now comes down to tempo. When I swing smooth and easy, it goes far and straight. Try to hit it, it's short and all over the map. It has taken me a while but am now able to stop the herky jerky swing within a shot or so on the course (as opposed to half a round last year). Now if I can only stop those 2 or 3 seizures a round that keep me out of the 70s...

Thread Information