100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

played two rounds in the heat.. feel sick

hey guys, I feel like crap. I played glen mar twice today (7am and 1120am) and I feel really sick now. I drank a lot of water while I played (atleast 4 litres). My head is hurting,I can't keep my eyes open. I kinda feel like how I feel when i get back from going to a club. Any ideas as to what might be wrong? am I going to wake up with a brutal headache? Thats the last time I will ever do that!!!
    Last edited by "Richard"; 06-08-2005 at 09:31 AM.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    hmmm.... take an Advil (or chug a beer) and go to bed??!!

Don't be too disgusted with your game. Tomorrow's another day!

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Take some tylanol and keep drinking!(water i mean)
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

"Richard"
    ahaha, the game was actually ok. It was just so humid in the morning and then hot at noon. The last 9 was aweful. 10 shots over the worst of the prevoius 3 9's

Let that be a lesson to you... too much golf can be bad

bbad
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    hey guys, I feel like crap. I played glen mar twice today (7am and 1120am) and I feel really sick now. I drank a lot of water while I played (atleast 4 litres). My head is hurting,I can't keep my eyes open. I kinda feel like how I feel when i get back from going to a club. Any ideas as to what might be wrong? am I going to wake up with a brutal headache? Thats the last time I will ever do that!!!

That sounds like "I will never drink again...Please Lord, I will do anything, but just make me straight again"

As soon as you are "better", you will say that was not that bad, and do it again....Speaking from experience.

On a better note: sometimes too much water in the heat is bad for you...you can get quite sick that way.

See the following URL (mostly for runners, but if you sweat too much then....)

http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/utsw/...es/217322.html

Cheers,

"Richard"
    I said the same thing last time I did this. This is my second double round day this year. On a seperate note, can I bring a caddy to the golf course? Is that allowed? I've never seen anyone do it.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Were you walking or riding?

Walking 36 holes is tiring at the best of times, but in this heat it is brutal. Riding is manageable - played Malone this weekend (36 holes Saturday, 36 holes Sunday) with a cart and I was tiring on the back 9 of the second round but not exhausted.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

"Richard"
    I walked

4 Iron jens is on a distinguished road jens's Avatar

golf-o-rama

Too much water may be deadly for athletes (04/14/2005)

Runners, hikers, bikers, even soldiers on long maneuvers should think twice before reaching for that water bottle: A study confirms that drinking too much can be dangerous, even deadly, for endurance athletes.

I pulled this from the ctv archive.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Most likely its one or the other, but there's no way you could have kept hydrated on a day like today...its impossible to replenish when its this hot. Cart it in the afternoon next time.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Played twice, Friday and Sunday, shot the worst rounds of the year, felt sick Monday morning, had to be heat stroke.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

"Richard"
    just woke up, feel great. Nose is stuff like I've never seen before. I wish I had smaller fingers JK

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Should get check up if you have seasonal allegies...

I've found out a few year ago I was allegic to mold, tree and grass!!! watery eyes, stuffed up nose, block ears etc. and could lead to dizziness and headache.... almost felt like I've lost something major and was not about to end up being simulator player for the rest of my life!!!

After two years of shots and anti-histamine before some rounds,
    the wife still asked how is it, I can not mow the lawn and yet able to hit the link twice a week?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    I discovered the true definition of "exhaustion" several years ago when I ran one of my marathons in weather like this. Became light headed(delerious) and just placing one foot in front of the other was a difficult mental task. When I finished the race my race was apparently gray.

One of the keys I learned from running which also applies when playing golf on hot humid days is to be well hydrated before you get to the course and not to wait until you get there. The day before and the morning of, drink until your pee is clear, and drink as much as is reasonable when you play as you will not be able to replace what you lose through sweat. Avoid alcohol on these days as your body consumes an excess amount of water to eliminate the alcohol andcontributes to the dehtdration.

Lastly, if you begin to feel ill, get off the damn course. It's only a golf game and your health is just a little more important.

Andru
    Just take a cart on the second 18 and you'll be fine. At least you'll have some shade between shots.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    One of the keys I learned from running which also applies when playing golf on hot humid days is to be well hydrated before you get to the course and not to wait until you get there. The day before and the morning of, drink until your pee is clear, and drink as much as is reasonable when you play as you will not be able to replace what you lose through sweat. Avoid alcohol on these days as your body consumes an excess amount of water to eliminate the alcohol andcontributes to the dehtdration.
    Some light research brought me to the same conclusion: drink lots of water starting the day before. As I have tournaments (likely 6 hour rounds) each of tomorrow and Friday with a predicted 40C humidex, I will start super-hydrating today. Even with carts, better safe than sorry. Heat stroke can be very serious.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I have taken courses in Desert Warfare and the key to surviving the heat is to drink water days before. Your body takes time to absorb water and store it, when you drink water when you have been sweating all day it only works if you are all ready hydrated and this will keep you at a healthy level. Also, when you take a drink of water in the heat take a small sip, wash your mouth out and spit the water out. Then drink a little water in frequent intervals. Large gulps will cause cramps. Another big No, No is to dump water on your head and slam your hat on. We all should know that you lose the most body heat through your head, so when you wet your head and put you hat on you have just turned your head into a steamer. The best thing is to always hydrate the body but to much water that causes you to use the bathroom all the time is not good because you are washing away the good stuff that your body needs but did not have time to absorb.
    Denny

"Richard"
    come to think of it, I did feel very drunk. I was very "stupid" and my motor skills weren't very good.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    It's already been mentioned, but I'll say it again anyway, you need to begin hydrating well before your round. If you wait until you are thirsty or fatigued it's too late. You simply can't hydrate quickly enough at that point & will most certainly end up with heat stroke.

We all know it's going to be a scorcher again this weekend so start hydrating early & save the beer until after the round.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Or drink American beer!
    Last edited by Colby; 06-08-2005 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Or deink American beer!
    Indeed!!
    Playing Potsdam & St Lawrence U. this weekend - I'll be sure to be well "hydrated" before, during, and after.

Thread Information