CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter mclarengirl is on a distinguished road

Soliciting advice only

Here's a question....

How does one make golf friends?

I am terribly new to the sport but have all of the typical newbie enthusiasm..... The only problem is this. None of my friends golf (well that's a lie, but none of my friends in a 7 hour radius golf).

I can get out a bit with my co-workers, but due to scheduling issues (I'm a single young person they are all married with kids), those outtings are few and far-between.

So how does one find people to golf with, other than posting on a regional board asking for partners?

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Joining a golf club as a member is a possibility... or joining various golf groups/organizations like the Ottawa Golf Tour (I think is easily found on this site) or the Slammer Tour (www.slammertour.com) is another option.

I joined the Slammers for some friendly match play competition last year and made lots of new golf buddies. I wanted to find a new circle of people to play with mainly because I rarely had an opportunity to play with people of various skill levels. I've had a great time so far.

I'm sure many others will have lots of other suggestions but I thought I'd give one expensive choice and another that costs little or nothing - the Slammer Tour costs nothing to join.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mclarengirl
    Here's a question....

I am terribly new to the sport but have all of the typical newbie enthusiasm..... The only problem is this. None of my friends golf (well that's a lie, but none of my friends in a 7 hour radius golf).

I can get out a bit with my co-workers, but due to scheduling issues (I'm a single young person they are all married with kids), those outtings are few and far-between.

So how does one find people to golf with, other than posting on a regional board asking for partners?

"Richard"
    why do you need golf friends? Just make a tee time at a busy golf course and they will pair you up with someone.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Like you said posting on this forum is not a bad idea. Some others have started general posts, myself included, asking if anyone would like to get together for a game. Just throw the offer out there and I am sure some will reply. And after playing with some of the people here I am sure you'll make some friends who you'll get out regularly with. Maybe I'll even end up playing a round or two with you.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Golf is actually one of the easier sports to do as a singleton. Try:
    - do what the catholics did: convert. Within your existing friends, interest someone in golf...once they play, they can never go back.
    - posting on this forum, people here are nuts for golf
    - joining the OAC winter golf school and meet golf buddies there (it always helps to improve your game enough to enjoy it and the game of others)
    - joining clubs as mentioned above
    - showing up at a course, they can always fit a singleton in, and I know when I play in a threesome, a fourth is always welcome
    - getting a membership at a course, youll meet many

Putter mclarengirl is on a distinguished road
    See... I had no idea you could do that... just show up and they'd fit you in.

ah I have so much to learn about golf.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Most courses can fit in a single most of the time - but unless the golf course is close by I would still call ahead first. You don't want to drive for an hour only to find out the course is booked with a tournament.

I have a bunch of friends who play, but few of them play as much as I do. As a result, I book about 50% of my rounds as a solo. But I usually get to the course and find out I've been paired up with a twosome or threesome, which is a nice way to meet people. And frankly sometimes I just prefer to play by myself - there's a sense of peace and quiet that you get playing solo on a golf course that you just can't get anywhere else.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar

Just call ahead to make sure there are openings to join a twosome or threesome...usually its no problemo. You don't want to get there and have to wait for an hour or find out a tournament is booked.

I golf more than my friends and I'll book with a twosome or threesome. I've actually met some really nice/interesting people doing that and have been invited to play with them again(and have done so).

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Here's a question....

Hell I'll be your golf friend! If you want.

Andru
    Go to the course by yourself and play a 5 dollar nassau with the group you're paired with. Make sure you lose terribly. On the last hole press them and dump two balls in the water. Then say you had so much fun you'd love to do it again. You should have no problem finding golf friends after that. They will almost certainly invite you to play again.

Here's a question....

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Here's a question....

I'm a married young person, but get out plenty. I sent you a PM on the subject... I'm sure we can figure something out.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

3 Wood jet84 is on a distinguished road
    Sent p.m.

Thread Information