100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: Should you be fit in (30 mins or less) or wait till next tee time (over 30 mins)

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fit you in (30 min or less wait is reasonable)

8 17.02%
  • No, Next avail. Tee Time (30 mins or more no exceptions)

39 82.98%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    Personally I don't have 40 minutes to spare to arrive at a golf course before my round. I don't have the money to pay for a bucket of balls and to be honest (which to me is lacking in these posts) I have better things to do with my day. [emphasis added]
    Then get a hobby that doesn't take up so much time. Or play mini-putt.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Customer service dictates that the majority of courses will do what they can to get the golfers out, even if they are late. Does it make us happy, no. Does it make it right, no. Does it happen, absolutely.

Go and play golf somewhere...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Barnie]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    I'm not saying being late is ok. I'm saying things happen and to be turned away after driving for 35 minutes to get there is kind of a diss. Especially when I had already paid for the round. I like how people on this board try to make themselves out to be some holy creature. "I've never been late for anything in my life.." Come on.. give me a break!! Personally I don't have 40 minutes to spare to arrive at a golf course before my round. I don't have the money to pay for a bucket of balls and to be honest (which to me is lacking in these posts) I have better things to do with my day. The worst part of it is we asked if we could start on the back nine and just play that ultimately to be denied as well. After paying and not even giving us that.. Makes me not want to go back. Anyway that's my thoughts..

Oh one more thing I wouldn't expect a movie to hold for me however I would expect them to let me into it 15 mins after it had started.. and as for a dinner reservation.. Yeah I'd expect them to hold it for me. At least a little while anyway. Life's busy.. sometimes you get behind.
    Before you call people dishonest, or "holier than thou" or anything like that, please consider that YOU ASKED THE QUESTION. As such, you should be prepared to hear the answers....

You talk about being late as though it happens all the time. I can tell you that I have been late for a tee off in the past, several times. BUT.... I phone the course (that's called 'common courtesy') to let them know I got lost, or held up somewhere.... That way, they can pre-prepare to get me out on the course late, by possibly bumping up another group that is already there. This disrupts NOTHING... It creates a bit of extra legwork for the course staff, but I guarantee you that they'd appreciate that more than you walking in getting all pissed off because YOU were late and now YOU can't play.

As for your somewhat ironic comments about not having 40 minutes to spare, well.... Can you predict how long the group in front of you is going to take to play their round? I seriously friggin doubt it. Right there is a good reason for you NOT to play golf.... You're more concerned about time than the game.

Cheers, and hope you get over this one bad experience.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    No offence but I don't even get this post.. " I guess what seems holy to you seems arrogant to me" ?? So basically in relation to my post your saying people who make themselves out to be holy individuals are arrogant to you?
    Yes, its misphrased. I guess it should read "While you see some of the opinions posted as "holier than thou", I see the opposite posts as arrogant."

The other points are not worth responding to, we're arguing over nothing.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    Unfortunately I've found that a number of courses run 1 - 3 groups late on a regular basis so your 10:00 tee time has become 10:16 - 10:24. Once you do get the first hole out of the way you find that there's one group waiting on the second tee! Four and a half to five hour rounds seem to be the norm these days.

Do I need another 8 - 16 minutes delay starting a round because a group ahead didn't arrive on time? No.

Have I ever missed a tee time? No. But it has been close a few times and I'm learning to schedule more time in order to get from home to the course, especially ones I haven't been too before. BTW the maps on this site are great!

Why do I want to be on time? Because I look forward to getting out and playing the game with people I like and respect, and being on time shows that I respect their committment.

And when I put one into the dense foliage I drop another ball and hit a provisional (or in the case of last week 3). This takes about 90 seconds (for 3). I know that I don't want to find the one I hit 30 feet into the bush anyways, so why bother deluding myself. And it keeps up the pace of play.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Barnie
    Hmmm I seem to have lost this battle. I kind of figured I would though. Oh well

Pitching Wedge laiec is on a distinguished road
    Just look at the poll results. It tells if you have the public support on the subject or not.

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Actually, I would bet at least some of your "Yes" votes were confused by the question.

You say for the No side (30 minutes or more, no exceptions). Well the exception would be if there was an opening, cancellation, or another group showing up late within that 30 minutes.

I don't think any of the "No" votes have a problem "Fitting you in" at the first opening. But that could be in 5 minutes or 5 hours. The "No" votes simply don't want to squeeze an extra group into the field or delay other groups from starting because of a late group.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    Actually, I would bet at least some of your "Yes" votes were confused by the question.

You say for the No side (30 minutes or more, no exceptions). Well the exception would be if there was an opening, cancellation, or another group showing up late within that 30 minutes.

I don't think any of the "No" votes have a problem "Fitting you in" at the first opening. But that could be in 5 minutes or 5 hours. The "No" votes simply don't want to squeeze an extra group into the field or delay other groups from starting because of a late group.
    I voted fit you in, but I read between the lines, which is sort of what you are saying. There's usually always a spot somewhere, somehow, that the late group can be accommodated. If the course can accommodate the group without affecting others then it's a win-win situation.

The other part of the question that is left out is whether or not the late group expects to be be fit in. They shouldn't expect to be rammed in, but should hope to be fit in as soon as reasonably possible.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    I voted fit you in, but I read between the lines, which is sort of what you are saying. There's usually always a spot somewhere, somehow, that the late group can be accommodated. If the course can accommodate the group without affecting others then it's a win-win situation.

The other part of the question that is left out is whether or not the late group expects to be be fit in. They shouldn't expect to be rammed in, but should hope to be fit in as soon as reasonably possible.

Exactly.. Thank you. Everyone else seems to think I demand to be fit in now.. I guess their reading what they want to read. We even offered to play the back nine which would have just put us a hole ahead of the first group finishing the front nine for the day but that wasn't ok with them. Since we had already paid for 18, I thought that was a pretty fair trade. Anyway I think this post has ran it's course. Appreciate all the replies.. especially the ones bashing my morals lol

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by laiec
    Just look at the poll results. It tells if you have the public support on the subject or not.
    and I kind of figured that out

Thread Information