CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    "Richard"

Should your hat color match your shirt?

I know its a strange question to be asking but I really like to dress nice where ever I go... even golf. Should the golf hat match the color of the shirt? How does it usually work? Would it look dumb? I never really paid atention or worried about this until I bought 2 ping hats from GT yesterday.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Actually, it should match your underwear, and to make sure people know this, it is acceptable to pull the back of your boxers out to show the perfect match!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

"Richard"
    not ever post has to be about golf. Some want to look nice on the course and some people don't care. I'm young, single so I don't mind taking a few minutes out of my game hitting on the cart girls and in some cases getting their numbers and meeting up afterwards at a bar or something. So who cares? I care

As to the underwear comment, why not just wear the underwear on the outside of the pants?

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Hey, its a fair question. We're men after all, stereotypically fashion challenged. I usually go with a black hat, it matches everything, doesn't it? Does get a little warm in weather like this, though.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Who Cares! Really, you can have your hat match your shirt, your shoes and even your clubs. It will be your first swing off the tee that will make you look dumb or not. If your are dressed to the nines, with all the fancy clubs and still shoot 120+, do you think your playing partners will remember your hat matched or that you hit every tree on the course. Lets get back to posts that really have something to do with golf.
    Denny
    And this from the guy who wanted a Titleist bag to match his clubs.

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Hey, its a fair question. We're men after all, stereotypically fashion challenged. I usually go with a black hat, it matches everything, doesn't it? Does get a little warm in weather like this, though.
    I was thinking the same. A white hat would go with everything so I bought one, I bought a black one as well. THe problem is I just bought some really really nice golf shirts on ebay and they are really funky.. like adam scott or jesper funky (just the colors) so matching them will be a mission

I got some plaid shorts this year. Thats about as risky as I'm going to get (33 yrs old now...) I just think that while it looks fine on Adam Scott, guys like Darren Clarke should dress a little more age appropriate.

Would anyone want to see Kenny Perry in hot pink tight pants?

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    It's like anything you wear, whether your golfing, at a marriage or funeral ect, you want to wear something that goes with the situation. As far as matching the hat with your pants there's no proper way to do it. Go with colors you feel comfortable in. If you want to wear a red hat with black pants you can. Black hat with blue pants go ahead. It doesn't matter there's no right or wrong way, you know what you look good in and what colors you like so go with that.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    I got some plaid shorts this year. Thats about as risky as I'm going to get (33 yrs old now...) I just think that while it looks fine on Adam Scott, guys like Darren Clarke should dress a little more age appropriate.

Would anyone want to see Kenny Perry in hot pink tight pants?

If you have the game that matches the attitude...go for it...else well go to the Blue Oyster bar .

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I think it's great that you'd ask about how to dress properly on the golf course. Most courses have dress codes and golf is an opportunity to look sharp in comfortable clothing.
    I have a collection of over 40 hats. Most have never been worn. I usually stick to white with a dark brim in the summer sun, and black or grey when it's not too hot.

If you want to look good on the course, keep your shirt tucked in. Wear clean clothes that aren't worn out, faded, or look like you slept in them. The same goes for the hat. A lot of people need a new hat pretty badly. I guess they get attached to one and wear it for years.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar

pants.

I've got my father in-law convinced the plaid pants are out!
    Look for me in them on the fairways at Casselview this weekend

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I think it's great that you'd ask about how to dress properly on the golf course. Most courses have dress codes and golf is an opportunity to look sharp in comfortable clothing.
    I have a collection of over 40 hats. Most have never been worn. I usually stick to white with a dark brim in the summer sun, and black or grey when it's not too hot.

If you want to look good on the course, keep your shirt tucked in. Wear clean clothes that aren't worn out, faded, or look like you slept in them. The same goes for the hat. A lot of people need a new hat pretty badly. I guess they get attached to one and wear it for years.
    At least you don't wear a hideous bright yellow hat...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It
    If you have the game that matches the attitude...go for it...else well go to the Blue Oyster bar .
    De deeeh de de de duuuuuuh

Think I saw our former Mayor Jim Durrell at a tournament many years back... Lime green pants with red stripes shirts..

From one elder player's comment: "That's one bald looking candy cane.."

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Great question thotho I don't think your hat and shirt have to match. In fact most of the time I try not too. I usually wear a black Odyssey Hat which goes with everything. I also have a yellow Emerald Links hat that I try to alternate into the mix as it's alot cooler but it has to be the right combo. Most of the time I ask my wife before I go out if everything is ok, because I value her opinion. I love what Darren Clarke has been doing and he's not that old Sakuraba in fact he's very close to my age(37). Love Parnevik, Scott's attire as well. Lately I've been even not tucking in my shirt as I'm 6'5" and I think it looks ok, althoughI guess Dan and others may differ. To each his own good luck thotho.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    not ever post has to be about golf. Some want to look nice on the course and some people don't care. I'm young, single so I don't mind taking a few minutes out of my game hitting on the cart girls and in some cases getting their numbers and meeting up afterwards at a bar or something.
    I don't mind this question, but by asking it, I'm going to answer it the way I see fit.

If your hat matches your shirt, or your belt, IN MY OPINION, it'll look a bit gay. If you think the chance that your hat will GET you the girl versus not, then I'd say you have more trouble than colour matching.

Try:
    - eye contact
    - confidence
    - develop your body a bit
    - wear nice clothes without the obvious colour matches...try earth tones for golf
    - read some books, have something to say other than "Hey baby, can I buy a beer."
    - be straightforward, aggressive, without being obnoxious
    - the ability to take rejection and ask the next cart girl out
    - they say the number one way to make a connection, other than physical, is to show an interest in the other person's interests: FIND COMMON GROUND
    - smile

There, now I sound gay.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I saw someone playing yesterday that had everything visible matching, hat, shirt, pants, socks and even the golf ball. All a shade between purple and pink. You can get all kinds of colored golf balls and they have matching ones for most outfits.
    Now me I don't care what colors I wear and nothing ever seems to match and only white golf balls.
    Have fun with the matching.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I like my hat to match my car.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 06-26-2006 at 09:29 PM.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    I like my hat to match my car.
    LOL.

"Richard"
    Check - eye contact

Check - confidence

Check- develop your body a bit

Check - wear nice clothes without the obvious colour matches...try earth tones for
    golf

NEVER - read some books, have something to say other than "Hey baby, can I buy a beer."

DONE (other than the obnoxious part)- be straightforward, aggressive, without being obnoxious

Rejection? What is that? - the ability to take rejection and ask the next cart girl out

Of coruse - smile

But number one is physical right? SO why bother with the rest. - they say the number one way to make a connection, other than physical, is to show an interest in the other person's interests: FIND COMMON GROUND

6 Iron Moose Head is on a distinguished road Moose Head's Avatar
    Wow what reactions!

Personally I don't wear a hat but black or white is always a safe colour.

As for way I dress when golfing, I love to look sharp. It's nice to stand out when you wear bright colors as opposed to earth tones. Callaway, Nike... all the big companies are developing shirts that keep you cool when it's hot and vice versa. Alot of money is spent on R&D for developing clothes because it actually helps you to play better. Hey and if it makes you look good while doing it then i'm all for it. I wish i could aford those shirts but not right now. I saw a golf shirt for $250 at GT.

As they sey, dress to impress! (oh and having a nice swing helps!)

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

If you want to look good on the course, keep your shirt tucked in. Wear clean clothes that aren't worn out, faded, or look like you slept in them.
    How many people will screw that one up on the Kingston/Belleville trip?!

"Richard"
    i actually never used to tuck my shirt in. I will do that from now on.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

You don't have to have the newest, trendiest, most expensive stuff either. Just keep it fresh looking.

I better wash the in-law plaid pants a couple more times then

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    I was actually at a course once and the starter/marshall told one of the guys I was playing with to tuck his shirt in. It was funny too since it was a cow pasture of a course. The only times I have ever seen courses give someone a hard time for their attire is on the crappy courses.

Quote Originally Posted by thotho

"Richard"
    New - Yes
    Trendy - Yes
    Expensive - NO!!

I buy most of my stuff on ebay. I find that I can get better value on there... a few times I got screwed. Once I didn't get the item, the second time it was a cheap knock off. Both times the credit card company refunded my money. I just bought some nice golf shirts Made sure the guy had good feedback and no negatives for selling fake goods

You don't have to have the newest, trendiest, most expensive stuff either. Just keep it fresh looking.

I don't like the tuck-in. I'm 6'5" also, and I find its restricting to have my shirt tucked in during my swing. It usually becomes un-tucked. I have been asked by a marshall at a course in Montreal to tuck my shirt in. I found it annoying, but being my non-confrontational self, I smiled and did as I was told.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    hothot and his broads
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 06-26-2006 at 09:29 PM.

"Richard"
    6'5.... woooooha (al pachino voice)

You are a big kid. 4 degress upright?

Thread Information