100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar

Commonly Broken Rules?

Hi,

I'm considering entering a tournament or two this year and although I think I know the rules fairly well (assisted by my ample TV golf watching), I'm certain that I break some every once in a while without realizing it. Obviously, I'd like to avoid such infractions during tournament play.

One example I can think of that a lot of casual golfers don't know about is that you're not allowed to ask your competitors for 'advice'. I know this is against the rules and I wouldn't do it in a tournament, but during a normal weekend round it's pretty routine for me to ask the people I'm playing with "What did you hit there?" to get an idea of what club I should hit.

So, what I'm wondering is: Does anyone have any advice or examples of other rules a player should be aware of in tournament play that might get a player into trouble?

Thanks.
    MJF

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    Hi,

I'm considering entering a tournament or two this year and although I think I know the rules fairly well (assisted by my ample TV golf watching), I'm certain that I break some every once in a while without realizing it. Obviously, I'd like to avoid such infractions during tournament play.

One example I can think of that a lot of casual golfers don't know about is that you're not allowed to ask your competitors for 'advice'. I know this is against the rules and I wouldn't do it in a tournament, but during a normal weekend round it's pretty routine for me to ask the people I'm playing with "What did you hit there?" to get an idea of what club I should hit.

So, what I'm wondering is: Does anyone have any advice or examples of other rules a player should be aware of in tournament play that might get a player into trouble?

Thanks.
    MJF
    1. There are no "gimmes" in tournament play.
    2. If playing a provisional ball, say so, otherwise the ball you hit is in play.
    3. Where to drop when taking relief from immovable obstructions. Ask if unsure.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Someone mentioned this in another thread, but be particularly careful of the difference between red stakes and white stakes and the respective drop procedures/penalties.

Also - make sure you have the right number of clubs in your bag, just in case you're like me and bring extras for practice rounds...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

9 Iron scottymac is on a distinguished road scottymac's Avatar

ball

use the same ball from start to finish on thsame hole!!
    SCOTT

Big_duck
    Be aware of where you are standing. Make sure you are standing no where near an FC's line especially on the putting green. Watch your shadow lines as well.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar

putt line..

What are the penalties if you inadvently step over playing partner putt line? Or is it just bad etiquette?

Pitching Wedge DCH is on a distinguished road
    Rule 12.2 Players simply rolling the ball over and back to identify it. Not marking and lifting.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    What are the penalties if you inadvently step over playing partner putt line? Or is it just bad etiquette?
    There is no penalty.

"Richard"
    my friend landed at the foot of a fence today. The fence stopped him from going out of bounds. The foot of the fence was not interfering with his swing path. He thought he should get relief? What is the call on this hole?

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    sorry thotho..... no relief there.

"Richard"
    One common rule that my friends break is what to do when the ball goes into the forrest (not out of bounds, but hard to find). They drop the ball where they think the ball crossed into the forrest. Even if they find it and know its going to take alot of shots to get out... they pull it out latterally just off the fairway and take a stroke. I must admit, I used to do this to last year (my first year) but have since learnt some of the rules and how to apply them and let me tell you... I have improved so much in one year and at same time, my scores are the same. Just goes to show you, not playing properly really misrepresents your score!!!

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    sorry thotho..... no relief there.
    I didn't give it to him anyway, didn't think that made any sense.

Thread Information