100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Graphite Shafts

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Graphite Shafts

Does anybody know why graphite clubs are 1/2" longer then steel shafts? Doesn't this affect your swing and shot pattern? I know someone who has switched to graphite shatfs to help speed up their swing speed and they are having a hell of a time getting use to the new clubs. They are hitting a lot of fat shots and are know swing over the top. He had a good swing before but was just slowing down due to age and now it seems like he has never swung a club before. Would the added length and loss of weight throw someone off or is it all mental?
    Denny

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Historically, graphite shafted clubs were made longer so that the swingweight of a graphite shafted club would be the same, more or less, as it's steel equivalent.

In practice, there's no universally "right" length, or swingweight, or MOI, or flex, etc, for a given club. Each club needs to be matched to the golfer.

It sounds like the new clubs just aren't a good match for your friend which may be part mental, i.e. they don't feel right to him and he swings them poorly as a result, or part mechanical, i.e. they may just be too long for him.

7 Wood Stephen is on a distinguished road

Could it be something simple as standing too close to the ball with the newer shafts.

The other thing that happes to me when I grip to hard the shot is fat. I need a nice loose grip to hit the ball clean. When I try too hard the shot is fat.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Denny. It is more like one inch. That being said a heavier shaft is better for a quick tempo. Read on if interested.(recommended length article)
    http://www.dynacraftgolf.com/shafttrimming.cfm
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 05-31-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Here is another excellent article regarding shaft weight.
    http://members.shaw.ca/percyandjoyce/shafts.html

As for myself I just went back to steel at 43 inches for my driver and the results do show. I have also accepted the fact that I do fade the ball occasionally. No more aiming straight down the fairway.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Denny. It is more like one inch. That being said a heavier shaft is better for a quick tempo. Read on if interested.(recommended length article)
    http://www.dynacraftgolf.com/shafttrimming.cfm
    Why an inch? The specs show a half inch diffence from graphite to steel. (Hogan Apex Plus with Apex 4 graphite shafts)
    Denny

Dynacraft offers a "standard" length chart for reference only based on the weights at which we have designed our heads. It is best to be hit tested to properly determine the best length for you or your customer. In most cases with steel shafts, the swingweight will be in a normal range at the lengths listed below with the head weight at Dynacraft produces their heads. As is the case with the majority of graphite shafts, an additional 1" in length over what is stated below will achieve a normal swingweight. With ultra-lightweight graphite shafted woods and overlength Titanium wood heads, an additional 2" in length can be added and still maintain a normal swingweight range.

Here Denny. Fool around with the free swingweight estimator if you have any doubts.
    http://www.baima.org/swingweight.htm
    I don't have the Apex specs but from experience to achieve the same swingweight in a wood for example D2 there is a 1 inch difference.

Thread Information