CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by KOKO72 View Post
    I would prefer no music on the course, but then again I would also prefer to hit the ball 30 yards longer...neither of these will happen.
    But your hitting the ball 30 yards does not selfishly interfere with others' enjoyment of the game.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Interesting. So golf is now a party/nightclub. Funny that other sports don't see that as a good idea. The thing is, by doing this you may attract some millennials (may not) while you irritate your already established client base. I would not use the driving range described in that article. If they all go that way they may lose more customers than they gain. I am all for progress and keeping up with the times but do we really want this?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

8 Iron Bodey is on a distinguished road
    I'm 30, I played golf when I was younger and then when I entered university I couldn't afford it (right in the 19-25 demographic). I don't like the speakers and the noise and the drunk guys on carts either, but that's why I play when those guys don't want to be on the course (before the bar opens). My group (I play regularly with the same two guys) are usually close to the youngest people on the course when we tee off. To a certain point if you don't want to associate with those people for your enjoyment of your golf game tee off at 7am when they have no interest. Getting paired up with a stickler for the rules is more annoying then music in the background.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I agree the younger people are just arrogant...I assume they are in power carts with beer and boombox? lol.If that ever happens to me I go straight to the pro shop and ask for a refund/or they get these morons off the course and banned.too bad so sad
    I'm 37. I can handle music much easier than I can handle slow play. Honestly, slow play is the single biggest turn off for me. If I can't play in 4 hours or less, I won't bother. For what it's worth, I haven't heard music, but I do hear guys listening to talk radio on the range which is fine. More annoying, in my opinion, are the older guys who have trouble hearing and carrying on a conversation while practically shouting. Music is generally a steady sound. Guys shouting back and forth is more annoying.

Lastly, I haven't heard the term boom box in about 20 years. Is there still such a thing?

Is there another term for it?

Probably an iPod.

LOL OK yah, with bluetooth speakers. Thing is though, iPhone/iPod users usually wear headphones in public places so as not to disturb others. This phenomenon is more like a boombox than iPod

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I love having music playing on the course. There's obviously a point where it can affect other around, and we try to keep it down when approaching other groups. Noise on the course doesn't bother me as long as it's constant. I'd much rather have someone playing music on an adjacent hole, than hear someone speak up right when I'm about to swing as they walk off the green beside where I'm teeing off. There's a certain demographic at my club whose voices seem to carry further/louder than others, and they appear completely oblivious to this as they walk along...
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

9 Iron rajah is on a distinguished road
    Last year I saw four men acting like Juveniles, they were between the age 22-27. They had the music and took their golf shirts off. One clown even took his shoes off. All had too much alcohol in thier system and acting a fool with no consequences.

The subject is music on the golf course, but the more I read this thread, the more I think about the future of golf. No, I don't think the game is going to vanish, however I do question where the next wave of players will come from. I think the intermediate membership that is available at many clubs has helped to boost participation among those in the 25-35 year range. However, there are no such offerings for green fee players (in fact, the only discount I am aware of for green fee players are for seniors and juniors). I have a number of friends who now have kids who have reduced the frequency in which they play - the biggest barriers being time and cost. As the number of rounds decrease, many just stop playing altogether. As others have mentioned previously, it is a slippery slope. If the fees are reduced, than the condition of the course is likely to suffer. Best bang for your buck seems to be among the senior crowd, which remains the lifeline for golf. Many courses offer discounted memberships for seniors, yet it is this group that is plays everyday. On the other hand, a 40 year old pays the highest membership cost and is able to play once or twice a week. The entertainment business' biggest market is the 18-40 range. Golf, maybe more so than most other competing for discretionary dollars, needs to look at this demographic and find a way to reintroduce the game to these users. I believe in offering solutions as opposed to complaining but the best I can come up with is the idea of a twilight membership that would be available for all players, but might cater more to the younger working person who could play after work and weekends at a cost less than the full membership for those players who are retired and able to play everyday.

Long story short, I don't know what the local golf landscape looks like in the next 10 years but I am confident that it looks much different than what we see today.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    I believe in offering solutions as opposed to complaining but the best I can come up with is the idea of a twilight membership that would be available for all players, but might cater more to the younger working person who could play after work and weekends at a cost less than the full membership for those players who are retired and able to play everyday.

Long story short, I don't know what the local golf landscape looks like in the next 10 years but I am confident that it looks much different than what we see today.
    I agree.

BTW, some course do offer twilight memberships (Manderley and Pineview are two). I have an afternoon membership at Metcalfe which is similar. My daughter has an Intermediate I level, afternoon membership at Metcalfe - they combine the discounts so her rate is very affordable.

Interestingly, I think the women's league on Tuesday evenings at our club has almost double the number of players as the men's league on Thursday evenings. I don't think you would ever have seen that at any course 15-20 years ago. So I think there are growth opportunities for clubs that are willing to adapt.

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    I think one route is to have a designation for golf courses as music friendly..within reasonable limits. Then courses could differentiate themselves, just like other characteristics such as the difficulty of the course. I think slow play is much worse than music, but personally I would try to avoid both. Golf courses have to adapt, and if music is part of the equation to keep em going, so be it.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    Man our world is full of complainers... Everyone is so easily offended...
    There are definitely extremes, but a little music is not the end of the world.
    It is easy to see why fans at Sens games are so BORING!!!

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Interesting. So golf is now a party/nightclub. Funny that other sports don't see that as a good idea. The thing is, by doing this you may attract some millennials (may not) while you irritate your already established client base. I would not use the driving range described in that article. If they all go that way they may lose more customers than they gain. I am all for progress and keeping up with the times but do we really want this?
    Have you been to a pro level hockey, football, or baseball game lately. It's not just organ music anymore. The start of a Sens game with the loud music and lights is my wife's favourite part of the game.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Have you been to a pro level hockey, football, or baseball game lately. It's not just organ music anymore. The start of a Sens game with the loud music and lights is my wife's favourite part of the game.
    Yet there is no music when they are playing. And besides, two completely different environments
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodey View Post
    Getting paired up with a stickler for the rules is more annoying then music in the background.
    Why do you object to someone playing by the Rules?

8 Iron Bodey is on a distinguished road
    Stickler for the rules pertaining to my ball if we're not playing for something. Not theirs. I couldn't care less how you play your ball if you want to be 100% rules then that's fine. I need to learn more of the random tricky rules. But if I pick up my ball to clean the mud off before hitting an iron shot, or move the ball so I don't hit rocks on a swing, that's not your problem. Those are the rule guys I dislike.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Yet there is no music when they are playing. And besides, two completely different environments
    Not really that different as in my experience (with music on the course) the music was turned down during everyone's drive and was only noticeable during the walks to the drive(s), walks to next hole or waits during slow play. The Bluetooth speaker was also left on cart far enough away from putting green so as not to be noticeable.

That being said my Bouvier is apparently not a fan of Bluetooth music as she ate mine before I could try it out on the course.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Not really that different as in my experience (with music on the course) the music was turned down during everyone's drive and was only noticeable during the walks to the drive(s), walks to next hole or waits during slow play. The Bluetooth speaker was also left on cart far enough away from putting green so as not to be noticeable.

That being said my Bouvier is apparently not a fan of Bluetooth music as she ate mine before I could try it out on the course.
    The are completely different environments (other than the 16th @ TPC Scottsdale)

if it's just within your group, go for it but somehow I think that can be difficult to achieve. It's when it starts impacting others is when it becomes a problem.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Lob Wedge jterpstraj is on a distinguished road jterpstraj's Avatar
    There was a great article about this in golf digest in 2014. As per everything else in golf, it is all about etiquette. I personally enjoy music during some rounds, but other round some quiet time is always great.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/golf-and-music

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    In fairness there is music played during basketball games while the ball is in play. Further, there is significant crowd noise at sporting events, so much so that it would drown out music if it was being played. I get the etiquette side of this argument. I personally don't play music on the golf course. That said, even at some very high end private courses I've heard music being played from the backyards of adjacent homes, kids screaming and yelling while swimming in backyard pools and dogs barking. Maybe it speaks to my age or where I grew up, but the noise doesn't really bother me.

If consistent noise throws off your concentration, learn to focus better!

I can see how a loud sudden noise is an issue but things like music or talking or traffic etc should not bother anyone.

The thing is it does bother people regardless of whether you think it should or not. That is not your call.

It is inconsiderate to impose your music on other golfers on the course. Turning it down while your group is about to hit, actually underscores the lack of etiquette exhibited as nobody turns it down (better off) when a guy lining up his putt is irritated by the tunes 2 fairways over. The focus is all about your group and their enjoyment and to hell with anyone else.

Not much we can do about dogs barking and kids in pools, but allowing music is a choice made to cater to a small group of golfers. Personally, I play few rounds at courses in neighborhoods for exactly that reason, but when I do play there I understand it goes with the environment. When I go to a course in the country with no houses, I expect peace and quiet with the occasional "WooHoo" outburst when a fella scores a birdie. I do NOT want to hear Katty Perry "Hear me ROOOARRR"

You are correct, it is not my call... So I guess that means it is not your call to request me to play in total silence, right?

So I guess this is where course management needs to step in and make rules to deal with this new situation...

I will be honest, I never play with music, but I have golfed with guys who did have music. I am one of the lucky people who doesn't care what other golfers wear, or what they eat, or how they talk, or if they listen to music or not or what scores they shoot as long as they keep a decent pace.

Don't cloud the issue. It isn't about what they wear. Its about disturbing others in a real way.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    People should certainly be allowed to bring music onto a golf course as long as it's done in a respectful way to the other golfers, that's all it comes down to. We have played with music before and if you are more than 15 feet from the source you don't hear it plain and simple. People get their panties in such a bunch over the smallest little things. I'm disturbed by slow play, i'm disturbed by people littering on the golf course, i'm disturbed by people having incredibly loud conversations on the golf course and so on and so forth, however i have accepted that it's a part of the game we play and try not to let it bother me during my rounds.

I am also in complete agreement on the rules piece, pay attention to your own ball unless you are in a match of some sort with your playing partner(S). We do not care about how you want us to play the GAME of golf and you are impeding others enjoyment of something that is truly a hobby to most people.

If I couldn't hear it I wouldn't even know it's on and would have absolutely nothing to say about it. Plain and simple.

It is not part of the game. It is a new thing that has come along just in the last couple of years.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Lol how is it up to you to decide if it's "part of the game." It may indeed be a part of the game for a younger generation of golfers.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Lol how is it up to you to decide if it's "part of the game."
    I will grant you, it's not up to me, but golf is over 600 years old. 'Part of the game' would imply more than 2 years history as 'part of the game'.

So no changes to golf are allowed?

Thread Information