+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Boombox on the course

About a year ago I was surprised (and annoyed) by a group of young fellas with a boombox playing while they golfed. Fortunately, they were only within earshot for a few minutes on that occasion.

Last week I noticed a group in my league had one going. They were a couple of groups ahead of us, but we could hear it from time to time. Again we all thought it was annoying.

Today there were 2 groups on the course with boomboxes - that I heard.

WTF??? This is seriously a thing now? How & when did this become acceptable for one group to serenade the course with their distracting, annoying tunes? One guy in our group today said it wouldn't bother him if it was better music as they were playing hip-hop. I have to disagree. Even great music is very distracting to many of us who want to play golf in peace and quiet. IMHO if you want to listen to music while golfing, use headphones.

Opinions?
    Last edited by Kilroy; 09-09-2016 at 06:50 PM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    About a year ago I was surprised (and annoyed) by a group of young fellas with a boombox playing while they golfed. Fortunately, they were only within earshot for a few minutes on that occasion.

Last week I noticed a group in my league had one going. They were a couple of groups ahead of us, but we could hear it from time to time. Again we all thought it was annoying.

Today there were 2 groups on the course with boomboxes - that I heard.

WTF??? This is seriously a thing now? How & when did this become acceptable for one group to serenade the course with their distracting, annoying tunes? One guy in our group today said it wouldn't bother him if it was better music as they were playing hip-hop. I have to disagree. Even great music is very distracting to many of us who want to play golf in peace and quiet. IMHO if you want to listen to music while golfing, use headphones.

Opinions?
    Played with a guy a few weeks back that played music but kept it pretty low. Another young pair I played through last week had them on but again couldn't hear them til I got close. Yes it's a thing and expect to hear it more. I'm not a fan and I like music a lot. Just enjoy the quiet on the course
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I think it is absolutely ridiculous. And I blame us 'more experienced' players and club members for not calling them to task on it. Not in a negative but rather educational way. When we learned the game, we were taught by our fathers, uncles and other 'old timers' what course and club etiquette was. I don't believe that there are enough of those educational opportunities available to the Millennials these days. We have to take the time, and use the right approach, to educate them on proper etiquette on the course and the 'why' behind such.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I have noticed this more and more and it drives me crazy. Loud obnoxious behaviour on the course (yelling, cheering, screeching around in carts etc) bugs me generally but I tolerate it from the "golfing twice a year" crowd and put it down to my golf snobbery lol.
    The other day I was playing Canadian East and putting together a really good round. On the 9th tee as I'm about to tee off, two carts screech up to the tee box on 15th West directly behind me, music blaring out and shouting really loud to each other as they jump out the cart...and they weren't especially young. It definitely distracted me.
    Please don't get me wrong, I love music and I enjoy having a laugh but I think there is a fundamental issue here of respecting others and the course. When I go to golf I go to golf. I enjoy the escape, the scenery, and the tranquility as much as playing the game. I do resent that being snatched from me.
    I fear I am becoming a crotchety old geezer

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    We have one obnoxious fellow on our course that has his cell phone cranked up so he can listen to sports etc. Damned annoying when he is near us.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Do you really think the younger generation really gives a %^$%. You try to address the problem as tactfully as possible and all you get back is attitude and "it's a free world". Talk to the management---they listen but in the end they want your $$$ more !!!!!!!!!

I'm already a crotchety old geezer
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

I'd be interested to hear from someone who thinks this is a good thing. So far we are all 'old geezers' who don't like it.

I really hope that the marshals will start to take action to stop it, but if nobody complains I doubt they will. I have emailed both courses I mentioned above and will now be emailing or discussing it with management when I see this in the future. This is a horrible trend. It really has to stop.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I dislike loud groups on the course, there are more and more golfers who don't realise or care that they are very loud. To have someone listen to music so others on the course hears them is ridiculous and the course must take action. I have seen guys were earphones which is fine, listen to your music, just make sure I don't hear it. I understand the odd enthusiastic roar for a chip in birdie or putt but this is getting out of hand.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    It's kind of odd that golf has coddled the etiquette of quiet when playing, it is the opposite in a lot of other sports. I guess the concentration aspect is the difference.

Can you imagine Phil Mickelson getting ready to make a crucial chip from just off the green and the fans start yelling and screaming and waving noodles behind the pin it would be funny.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Can you imagine Phil Mickelson getting ready to make a crucial chip from just off the green and the fans start yelling and screaming and waving noodles behind the pin it would be funny.
    Every year at the Pheonix Open 16th hole. Stadium golf.

But they are always quiet when they hit
    Lefty Lucas

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I'd be interested to hear from someone who thinks this is a good thing. So far we are all 'old geezers' who don't like it.

I really hope that the marshals will start to take action to stop it, but if nobody complains I doubt they will. I have emailed both courses I mentioned above and will now be emailing or discussing it with management when I see this in the future. This is a horrible trend. It really has to stop.
    As long as the music isn't playing too loud and is turned down whilst people are about to hit , it really doesn't bother me.
    It's a growing trend for sure, and I'm not part of it (or any of my golfing partners) but as long as its kept respectable , it wouldn't let it concern me.
    The loud mouth golfers and the a-hole drivers who love to hit the horn , just as your hitting , are my peeves on the course.
    Play your music if you want , have fun , relax , its all good
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

That's the whole point Will, sound carries and if you have it loud enough for your group to hear then other groups will hear it too at least 2x/hole on a busy day. I don't mind if they listen to music but volume is so subjective that it would be difficult to make it fair so those who do not want to hear it don't have to. It's like smoking, I don't mind you smoke, just keep the fumes away from my air.
    Lefty Lucas

People walk around all day listening to their music on a wonderful device known as headphones. It's the perfect solution to this problem. The thing here is that the foursome with the boombox want to 'share' it with each other and you can't hear the group conversation with headphones on.

Sound does carry. One of the courses I was playing is rather wide open and the sound was loud and distracting when the source was 3 fairways over. Nobody turned it down while we were hitting. This is a very selfish thing these people are doing. Destroying the peaceful outdoor experience of others and they simply don't care that they are inconveniencing people around them.

It's called courtesy. Seems to be a thing of the past.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Agreed , but I've never experienced it to the point where it's distracting to me (others I can't speak for) but I'll be sure to let them know , or the course marshals , if it comes to that point.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

3 Iron spuds is on a distinguished road spuds's Avatar
    My 6 iron would fix that boom box in a heart beat

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    I play at Nation alot and with the narrow fairways when someone is playing music it's very annoying.. I do like music but not on golf course. And when you do happen say something all you get is abusive language... I'm certainly not liking at attitude of these young (20-30ish) golfers... Guess I'm just old school and like follow etiquette and rules

Quote Originally Posted by ladygolfer13 View Post
    I play at Nation alot and with the narrow fairways when someone is playing music it's very annoying.. I do like music but not on golf course. And when you do happen say something all you get is abusive language... I'm certainly not liking at attitude of these young (20-30ish) golfers... Guess I'm just old school and like follow etiquette and rules
    I agree the younger people are just arrogant...I assume they are in power carts with beer and boombox? lol.If that ever happens to me I go straight to the pro shop and ask for a refund/or they get these morons off the course and banned.too bad so sad

It's not just the younger folk. One of the groups I mentioned were at least in their 50's. The other 2 groups were younger. Yes they had carts. Rodney Dangerfield's bag from Caddyshack was fiction, but it was the first thing I thought of each time and now I'm Ted Knight the Judge freaking out as I try to line up a putt, but now it isn't funny anymore. It's a thing.

I propose that those who read this thread and agree with shutting this down before it gets any further out of hand call the pro shop at courses when it happens and politely, please, I emphasize politely ask for a marshal to come by and request the boombox be turned off. This is the way to handle it. I don't want to see people confronting others on the course but something has to be done and I hope we can get the practice banned in Ottawa.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I surprised me as well.

Then I saw the Cobra branded speakers that are sold at some clubs, so I guess it's now OK. As long as it's not loud Hip-Hop, or soft Hip-Hop...
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Just like pace of play we are at the golf course's mercy for enforcement, if the course does not want to do anything about it then it's a conscious decision to see keep these loud" customers in spite of annoying a few. There is not much you can do except not go there anymore and let them know it. You can also start a thread on OG and maybe direct the course to that thread so they can see the ripple effect.
    Lefty Lucas

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Well, I'll be the contrarian. I've enjoyed music being played in our group on bluetooth speakers. We don't play it loud, and we turn it down when other groups are near. I've never heard a complaint. If someone asked me to turn it off, I would apologize and do so. I'd never play it in a club qualifier or a club tournament, but it is enjoyable in a casual cash game.

Golf needs to be more welcoming to all types of groups. There is nothing quieter than an empty golf course. In my experience, the golf group that plays music also rents carts, eats a the club, and supports the bar.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Well, I'll be the contrarian. I've enjoyed music being played in our group on bluetooth speakers. We don't play it loud, and we turn it down when other groups are near. I've never heard a complaint. If someone asked me to turn it off, I would apologize and do so. I'd never play it in a club qualifier or a club tournament, but it is enjoyable in a casual cash game.

Golf needs to be more welcoming to all types of groups. There is nothing quieter than an empty golf course. In my experience, the golf group that plays music also rents carts, eats a the club, and supports the bar.
    So what about etiquette...why do you need to have some noise when you are on the course...why not stay home and avoid annoying others that want to play golf the way it should be played...too may morons in my rear view mirror

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    So what about etiquette...why do you need to have some noise when you are on the course...why not stay home and avoid annoying others that want to play golf the way it should be played...too may morons in my rear view mirror
    It can be done using etiquette (keeping the volume modest) and not disturbing your fellow golfer.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    It can be done using etiquette (keeping the volume modest) and not disturbing your fellow golfer.
    For me I prefer NO volume,No morons and No Boombox.....

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    For me I prefer NO volume,No morons and No Boombox.....
    I am one of the apparent "arrogants". I used to play with headphones until the day I was almost hit by a ball because I couldn't hear "FORE!" I have a small speaker I clip on my carry bag and keep the volume low enough that I can hear the music while walking or hitting my shot, but not loud enough to travel far (I know this as I once searched for a ball away from where I put down my bag, and couldn't hear my music) and to hear warnings. So yes, it can be done with some tact and adhereing to etiquette, if you will.

Saying this, I only do this when out as a solo. I don't do it with fellow golfers in my group, so as to not annoy/offend them, but because I highly doubt they would enjoy my type of music. LOL!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

7 Wood retread is on a distinguished road retread's Avatar
    I am firmly in the old geezer demographic, however I don't mind it. If it means new golfers being comfortable on the course, bring it on.

I do agree that the volume should be controlled, but I don't find it disruptive. This is due to most music is relatively predictable and as an old geezer (and a male) I have selective but diminishing hearing.

We need to be inclusive and make people comfortable on the course.
    Determined to keep the rough trimmed. One swing at a time.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    If the volume level was such that only people in that particular group could hear it and all the people in that group were OK with it, then I don't see how anyone else can complain about it. No harm, no foul.

That being said, if I could hear it then it would be a distraction for me. Between shots would be OK (I often have a song in my head anyway), but when I play golf I want to play well and I need to focus to do that. I can't focus on golf (or at work for that matter) when there is music playing - especially music that I like. I guess I'm just not very good at multi-tasking.

BTW they play loud music at the Target Driving Range now. It definitely skews to a younger demographic - all the "old geezers" like myself tend to go Falcon Ridge.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Gentlemen, the times they are a changin.....I have noticed this more this year than any other..the younger golfers enjoy their music, and their beer on the course..it bothered me at first but as long as the music isn't loud it really isn't that bad. I really don't think that the courses are going to discourage this type of behaviour on the course as long as they are semi respectful to others and they do not damage the course. I think that if they crack down on this too much then they will ultimately lose business and they last thing golf needs is less players on the fairways.. I would prefer no music on the course, but then again I would also prefer to hit the ball 30 yards longer...neither of these will happen.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar

Thread Information