CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Golf has always been a game of tradition and change to the rules take years of consideration before passing. This is a change of etiquette and not subject to review by any official body so I suppose those who see it as not an imposition to those who dislike it will win in the end. Not a good time for those of us who go to the course to enjoy the environment as well as the game.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    I guess if it was Buddy Holly or Roy Orbison I would not mind but the heavy metal and jungle music would drive me nuts . I have played 73 games this year and not heard a boom box once--sure one time at SB but that was from a private residence. The one good thing about growing old is your hearing starts to go a little----sure helps avoiding "major" distractions
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    What's jungle music?

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    "Jungle Music"...is that you Donald Trump??

IMO music played on Bluetooth speakers is completely fine provided you are being respectful about it. If you are in a twosome with guys/girls you don't know you should ask if they are ok with it. If you are in a foursome with your buddies and you are blaring it to the point it can be heard a fairway over then you are being a jacka**.

Did Old Tom Morris listen to tunes while he played? No. But times change. Who knows, he seemed like a pretty cool cat, maybe he would have been a huge fan of "Jungle Music"

Like everything, moderation and common sense should guide your decisions.

Sand Wedge retired is on a distinguished road
    I golf mostly on the Quebec side, and the courses I played so far this year, I never encountered anyone playing music. From my perspective when I go golfing it is to be close to nature and enjoy the sound of silence, the birds chirping, the wind blowing, or the occasional wild life crossing a fairway. If I want to have music I stay home or go for a drive and listen to the music at that time.

When music is being played I am unable to concentrate on what i am doing when playing or doing anything else that requires concentration.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    What's jungle music?
    I had an LTJ Bukem cd back in the early 1990s... you're trying to tell me you're too young to remember the drum n bass scene?
    Andrew

Sand Wedge retired is on a distinguished road
    I only started to play golf occasionally in 1999 at 50 years of age and up until 2004 I played in tournaments only. From 2004 to now I play about 30-35 times a year and the golf courses that I have played I never have encountered some one with a boom box on the course. I play most of my games during the week and rarely on weekends . This could explain why I have never encountered boom box playing on the courses. This year especially from June to august my tee off time was between 8:00 and 8:30. I have a boom box but I do not bring it to the golf course. I leave it at home.

Putter MikeEC is on a distinguished road
    I listen to music playing about 50% of the time. Only with a power cart, never in a tournament. When the cart is on the path and we're standing on the tee you can barely hear it or can't hear it at all. It's basically there to listen to while driving from shot to shot and while we're waiting for the group ahead of us. Really loud music that can be heard across three fairways shouldn't be allowed but banning music from golf courses is ridiculous.

As I said before If I can't hear it, I totally don't care! Why would I? The problem is we can hear it.

Just because your group is riding between holes and listening, or on the tee or green and turn it down then, that is only going to work for your group. Others around you are not on the green or tee at the same time you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    As I said before If I can't hear it, I totally don't care! Why would I? The problem is we can hear it.

Just because your group is riding between holes and listening, or on the tee or green and turn it down then, that is only going to work for your group. Others around you are not on the green or tee at the same time you are.
    If I'm 20 feet away from my cart and can't hear my music, then please explain to me how you can hear it 200 yds away. Even if you hear it as I am driving by by some chance, the noise the cart is making would have been enough to distract you in the first place. I totally get it if someone is blasting tunes that can be heard from the parking lot, they should turn it way down. What some people on this thread were implying was that an actual club rule should be made to disallow music completely. If that's the case then the guy who likes to whistle to himself all the time is going to have to pipe down too. Making a rule to ban music should be as realistic as a rule to ban ball retrievers so guys don't spend 10 minutes on a hole fishing.

If I was in the group right behind you on the course, the only way you could possibly hear my music is if my group kept rolling up to you on the next tee because of slow play. Even if that was the case we would turn it down while you shot, then would turn it back up when you were done. There is a polite and a rude way to play music on the course.

Banning amplified music would return golf courses back to the quiet, pleasant environment we have traditionally enjoyed for the past 6 centuries. This was never an issue until very recently. Golfers historically respect the etiquette of the game. That etiquette should (but now apparently does not) include being respectfully quiet on the course and refraining from disturbing other golfers. (by NOT playing amplified music) If I were not disturbed by it I would obviously not have anything to say. Simply saying "It shouldn't bother you" is steadfastly denying the impact of your actions on others. If it bothers someone else or not, is not your call to make. It is theirs.

By the way, I do quite like music. I love it loud in my car. I volunteer at Bluesfest. 100db is fine by me. I have headphones on in the supermarket. You can wear headphones wherever you like and not bother anyone. It is the obvious solution for those who just can't be without their tunes for a few hours.

Would it be OK to use my Bluetooth speakers in the supermarket?
    Last edited by Kilroy; 10-20-2016 at 08:08 PM.

Arnold Palmer took golf to new heights through the use of television. Tiger Woods took that game to even bigger heights making it appealing to millions of new golfers and sports fans in general.

My point?

If the guy who arguably made golf the most popular it has ever been in the history of the game of golf, decides it's a good idea to install lights and music on to his short 10 hole golf course at Bluejack National, maybe Bluetooth speakers, played at low levels, (not fair turning hearing aids up all the way here guys), aren't as bad as you think.

Hmmm. Hearing aids turned up? Uncalled for. We don't generally treat people disrespectfully here. At any rate, I am not prepared to debate this with you further. Please read the forum rules.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Banning amplified music would return golf courses back to the quiet, pleasant environment we have traditionally enjoyed for the past 6 centuries. This was never an issue until very recently. Golfers historically respect the etiquette of the game. That etiquette should (but now apparently does not) include being respectfully quiet on the course and refraining from disturbing other golfers. (by NOT playing amplified music) If I were not disturbed by it I would obviously not have anything to say. Simply saying "It shouldn't bother you" is steadfastly denying the impact of your actions on others. If it bothers someone else or not, is not your call to make. It is theirs.

By the way, I do quite like music. I love it loud in my car. I volunteer at Bluesfest. 100db is fine by me. I have headphones on in the supermarket. You can wear headphones wherever you like and not bother anyone. It is the obvious solution for those who just can't be without their tunes for a few hours.

Would it be OK to use my Bluetooth speakers in the supermarket?
    No, of course it wouldn't be ok to use your speakers in the supermarket. Just like it wouldn't be ok to use them in a library. But that's not a fair example. You could ask about playing music while curling, playing tennis, or something of the sort. The underlying issue here is the growth of the game and finding a way to connect with players who might not have initially considered spending their discretionary dollars at the golf course. So it's about finding a balance; finding a way to appeal to those who already play, vs those who do not. Heck, not everyone can agree on pace of play, so I doubt we can find common ground on music.

In any event, with the exception of the racist comment earlier, it's been a great thread as it's gotten people talking.

Actually, the library where people expect peace and quiet is a far better example. I have always expected peace and quiet on the golf course. It seems I can no longer expect that. It's a party. Yay?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Actually, the library where people expect peace and quiet is a far better example. I have always expected peace and quiet on the golf course. It seems I can no longer expect that. It's a party. Yay?
    I think you also need to check the tone of your responses in this thread.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Perhaps you should go to a pga tour event. There are screams and yells and music, and in some cases (TPC Scottsdale), very much a party atmosphere. Honestly, if a little background noise throws anyone off their game, they probably didn't have much of a game to begin with. Again, the far bigger distractions are those unexpected noises.

In any event, I'm about inclusion. I could take a little music or leave it, so long as the pace of play is 4 hours or less. Careful, by wishing for silence, you might just find yourself on a local golf course with nobody else around. And that, IMO, isn't great for the future of this great game. Maybe there's a comprimise? Maybe there could be designated times (ie Men's/Women's night) when music could be play. Rather than outright dismiss it, I think it's worth researching and seeing if it could be leveraged as part of a promotion. Build an event around it. Should the numbers materialize, market it, promote it and capitalize on it.

Anyway, just my two cents....

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    Perhaps you should go to a pga tour event. There are screams and yells and music, and in some cases (TPC Scottsdale), very much a party atmosphere. Honestly, if a little background noise throws anyone off their game, they probably didn't have much of a game to begin with. Again, the far bigger distractions are those unexpected noises.

In any event, I'm about inclusion. I could take a little music or leave it, so long as the pace of play is 4 hours or less. Careful, by wishing for silence, you might just find yourself on a local golf course with nobody else around. And that, IMO, isn't great for the future of this great game. Maybe there's a comprimise? Maybe there could be designated times (ie Men's/Women's night) when music could be play. Rather than outright dismiss it, I think it's worth researching and seeing if it could be leveraged as part of a promotion. Build an event around it. Should the numbers materialize, market it, promote it and capitalize on it.

Anyway, just my two cents....
    A great point and a great idea too.
    There definitely needs to be an injection of some more fun events held at some courses .
    Don't get me wrong , I love playing competitive tournaments , but I don't want to play them all the time.
    A more relaxed atmosphere at times wouldn't hurt the game of golf at all , and you can certainly block tee times and days for those who want tranquility on the course .
    The game needs a bit of modernization to compete with times , not a lot , but if the new kids want to take up this sport and invest in it , they need to have a reason to get out there , and banning music on a course , well , that won't help.
    Traditional golf courses and the proper golf etiquette will always be available to those who want that experience ,
    But if your a public course or playing on a public course , you should probably accept the fact that not everyone on that course is an avid golfer or knows the proper etiquette , they're probably just having some fun with their friends , having a laugh enjoying themselves , and I'm ok with that.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Wow...quite the varied responses on this topic!! Just last week at equinelle, there were a group of guys carting down #11 while we were teeing off on number14. They were playing some music and while we could hear it it did not bother us at all and it actually put a smile on our faces as we were deep in a competitive mode with 7 skin carry overs. it was kind of funny as we all started chuckling and grooving to the beat.....it wasn't loud or annoying and for the 30 seconds or so that we could actually hear it, it was fun. (Note: we are 4 guys in our 50"s thinking that we can play like we did when we were 20!)

This music on the course thing is so rare that it shouldn't be such a big issue as we are making out to be here...the bigger issues that Piss me off more on the course is the lack of respect for fixing ball marks, unraked bunkers and excessively slow play.

Thread Information