CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge andyfive is on a distinguished road

Difference in carry distance calculations?

Hi,

I recently purchased a used Golf Achiever 2 (GA2) and have integrated it with the OptimalFlight (OF) software. The issue I am having is that the data reported from the GA2 software is differing from that of the OF Software. In general, OF is down approx. 10% in terms of carry distance compared to GA2. As an example, I have included 4 driver shots below :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Carry Distances.JPG
Views:	889
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	54532

My questions are which of these results seems most realistic based on others experience of simulators and why might there be such a difference between the calculated carry values? I have both systems set to default settings so no wind, 0 altitude etc. so environmental settings should not be a factor. My inclination is to trust the OF carry distances as this seems to be a very comprehensive ball flight program but I cannot be sure.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by andyfive; 09-09-2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Re-formatting

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    You may want to take a look at this sight for an answer. http://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I would certainly trust OF over GA2. I am not surprised ther s a difference in Algorythm distances bu that seems way off by GA2. Are you certain that wasn't GA2 total distance and not carry?

Lob Wedge andyfive is on a distinguished road
    You may want to take a look at this sight for an answer. http://flightscope.com/products/trajectory-optimizer/
    Many thanks for the link Stonebattle. This has confirmed to me that the OF readings are much more in line with reality than the GA2 readings. The flightscope optimizer is very close to the OF readings given the same launch parameters. I prefer the numbers GA2 are telling me but must be realistic

I would certainly trust OF over GA2. I am not surprised ther s a difference in Algorythm distances bu that seems way off by GA2. Are you certain that wasn't GA2 total distance and not carry?
    Cheers Bubba - GA2 is definitely set to carry only. There are a couple of settings in the GA2 software that I can adjust to affect the calculated ball flight - friction coefficient and BackSpin adjustment which both influence the carry distance. Both are currently set to default setting but I will have a play with those to see the effect.

Next all I need to do is figure out out to get more carry with my Driver

Thanks for your replies.

Thread Information