CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Irish Hills

Pitching Wedge mully is on a distinguished road

Irish Hills

Looking to here from people who have played this course in the past and alos recently.

What kind of a course is this? Are we talking Edgewood kind of course or Renfrew Golf Club kind of course. Or is it the average good course like...Madawaska??

Also what kind of shape is it in now. Last posts I saw mentionned bumpy greens. Are they better? How are the fairways?

Thanks!!!!

P.S. Played Bearbrook this weekend and never will again. Greens are awful, fairways are non existant. You can't even tell where the tee boxes end.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Nowhere near Renfrew, but nowhere near the Royal Edgewood either. Some might sneer, but early-season wetness aside, I'd put Irish Hills in the Champlain +10-15% category.

I love Renfrew and would do almost anything to avoid playing Edgewood. I was a member at Irish Hills in the early 90's. It was much nicer then and maintenance seemed to sag a bit when they built the new 9. Having said that, though, I'd go play there any time if someone asked me to go.

Nice clubhouse, neat proshop (in an old farmhouse) and some challenging holes.

3 Iron Longball is on a distinguished road Longball's Avatar

Irish Hills

I played there 2 1/2 weeks ago and I was impressed. The greens were in great shape, the fairways were a bit wet but should be fine now. I would recommend playing there.

beatnik58
    I like Irish Hills. It is far more challenging than some people might think. Looonnggg from the Blues!

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road

The Irish

I played there 2 weeks ago. Good conditions, decent greens and tricky spots from the t's. This is not in the same category as The Royal Bear or La Edge. Overall a great value ($35 taxes in).

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Ditto the Irish Hills recommendation.

For the money, it's a bargain. Whenever I've been, the conditions have always been pretty good, it's an interesting layout, and the small greens are a challenge.
    Last edited by jvincent; 05-31-2005 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling.

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road
    I had a terrible game there a couple weeks ago but that had nothing to do with the course. The conditions were quite nice even though my game was stinking up the place.

cheers,

Kris

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mully
    Looking to here from people who have played this course in the past and alos recently.

What kind of a course is this? Are we talking Edgewood kind of course or Renfrew Golf Club kind of course. Or is it the average good course like...Madawaska??

Also what kind of shape is it in now. Last posts I saw mentionned bumpy greens. Are they better? How are the fairways?

Thanks!!!!

P.S. Played Bearbrook this weekend and never will again. Greens are awful, fairways are non existant. You can't even tell where the tee boxes end.
    I am surprised at the number of positive reviews of Irish Hills. I have played the course a number of times and have never enjoyed the layout or the conditioning. Having the 9 hole course intermingled with the 18 hole course is both dangerous and confusing.
    IMO there are much better values to be had.

Thanks

I

Thanks

for everybody who convinced mo to try this course out. 1 or two patchy greens but pins were placed to make those parts of the greens out of play. Fairways weren't the lushest but very playable. 7 our of 10 for sure with 10 being Renfrew golf club!!!

Putter Club Champ is on a distinguished road
    Mully

I played there today, the coarse is tough , sometimes fair other times not so fair.

The management tries to do the best they can with the budget they have.

They only have 120 members there for 27 holes , this makes it like a private club for the members . We regularly go out, never get held up, rarely see anybody actually. It's great!

I would bet money againest anyone that says they could shoot par from the blue tee's on a average gusty day. Good luck shooting 75.

Anyhow i think for 1495.00 for a full seven day membership within 20 minutes of downtown is real good. No initiation, no bar chits. And they give you the option of post dated cheques and throw in 6 green fee passes for you buddies.

Try to find a better deal, good luck.

And this year they landed Gary Harrison as there new Pro, He was at stonebridge and decided to leave when they said they were bulldozing the range to make way for more housing. He's a great guy.

Mully if you'd like i'd be happy to take you to a men's night. There on tuesday nights. Small group of guys but it's fun, skins games and cold beer.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Played yesterday. I have never seen the conditions SO BAD. I used to rate this course as a "hidden gem", but I won't be going back this year.

Used to be a member there. I left when conditions started to go downhill.

We found close to a dozen balls without ever straying more than a few feet from the fairway, so I'm guessing we weren't the only ones having trouble finding balls.

The greens are very soft and very slow, but very lush.
    The fairways on the back nine have a lot of weeds, clover and dandelions and were seriously in need of cutting. Are they growing the rough in honour of US Open week?

Shot 82 which is one of my poorer rounds at Irish Hills.

I would much rather pay $60 to play Loch March, which was in very good condition last Sunday.
    Greensmere for only $34 is a much better deal if Loch March is too much for you.

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road

A regular

I guess I am becoming a regular at this field. I played there again today as there seemed to be no other courses with t times(fathers day).Incredible value @ $37 weekend rate. Plays long from the blues, and is good shape. Not much in the marshalling dept.(big peeve with this hack) to keep pace of play. Had a group in front worrying more about losing each others balls and very loud fairway to fairway chatter than keeping pace in front but managed to keep my sanity nonetheless.Please fellas---if ya going to play know how to keep pace--I don't care if you shoot 1000.my 69 year old mother plays as quick as her 5 handicap son. Can't understand how a 7am tee off turns into a 41/2 hour round on a straightaway course. But $37!!!!Can't complain much.....
    Value is not usually of importance to this cat but gotta give profs to the Irishman!
    Tura Lura Lura???

Thread Information