CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    72 Divots

Angry Rules & Handicapping

I was just wanting to get people's thoughts regarding the relationship between playing by the rules and handicapping. I guess what I am saying is that I have become increasingly frustrated with people who brag about owning such-and-such a handicap and yet I know they would score 2-3 strokes per round higher (at least) if they accurately followed the rules of the game. The most notable faults I see are people treating out of bounds and losing their ball in the woods like a lateral water orhzard (dropping insterad of stroke and distance).

Am I out of line here or letting something bother me that shouldn't? I guess I sort of feel like the olympian who is trying to be the best they can be while at the same time knowing that they are competing against steroid users and those who have an unfair advantage.

Any thoughts?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    As long as it not for money, who cares about these reverse sandbaggers.

Let them tee it up in a tournament where more than just their buddies are playing. Then watch the scores balloon.

Just make sure to make the right size bet with them before you start and watch as they open the wallets when you're done.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Exactly.

When you decide to play against their handicaps, just remind them you're playing by the rules. When they hit one OB, remind them to hit that provisional.

You'll be drinking free beer at the end of the round.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

That's Right

I had the same situation with a friend who would constantly beating me although it seemed I was scoring fewer strokes on him all the time due to his handicap. When we played "by the rules" he was humbled. It took one of my best games ever but it was sweet.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    As long as it not for money, who cares about these reverse sandbaggers.
    Don't you want to play those "reverse sandbaggers" for money?

I understand where 72 Divots is coming from, and it bugs me too sometimes. The fact is that "bragging rights" ARE worth something, and most golfers in general and "reverse sandbaggers" in particular DO NOT play in tournaments where their "vanity" handicap suddenly becomes a liability.

I don't have a problem with people who don't follow the rules too closely - as long as they don't brag about their score or their handicap. IMHO, you haven't earned "bragging rights" for anything if you haven't played by the rules.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    True words of wisdom El Tigre, I have a friend who I play with all the time and he takes mulligans, takes a preferred lie, moves balls out of hazards without taking a stroke etc.. etc... but he never brags about his score or ever implies he is better than he is. He plays for fun and would never try to do those things and actually count a proper score. He usually will say "Today I shot 105, with a variance of +10"
    All in good fun for him.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Pitching Wedge DCH is on a distinguished road
    Your consolation is that if you play them in a regulated competition they will be pulled up for rules infringements and you will beat them by the penalties they will incurr and the handicap strokes the didn't get. The are only cheating themselves.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you check out the Pope of Slope's web page, you'll find that the vanity handicap is as prevalent, probably more so, than the sandbagger these days.

Makes it tough for us guys with legit handicaps to get into the single digits.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    You also have to adjust your handicap. If you shoot a 43 (9 holes) and have a 9 on a par 4 then your score is actually 40. If a player doesn't adjust his handicap he is actually cheating... this is a bigger problem (not adjusting handicap) I think.

I really don't know why anybody cares about reverse handicappers... There must be thing that are more important in your life than to worry about these guys...

Just go out and enjoy yourself...

Jean-Guy

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl
    I really don't know why anybody cares about reverse handicappers... There must be thing that are more important in your life than to worry about these guys...

Just go out and enjoy yourself...
    The problem with reverse sandbaggers is that for tournaments with index cutoffs, like the Citizen tournament for example, if enough vanity-low handicappers apply, it might end up that a legitimate higher handicapper is left out.

It's not really that important to me since I'm not low enough to get in, yet, but if I were and got bumped because of it, I would be annoyed.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Reverse sandbaggers are great when you're facing them in the club championship or playing for a little cash. They are a pain when you're facing them in the bar. How about guys that use ESC on the scorecard i.e. "My handicap doesn't allow me to count more than 6" so they mark 6 when they took 9 so they can SAY they shot 79 :o(

The best 3 rounds of my life were all in tournament play ... which makes me look like a sandbagger :o)

Thread Information