CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge Abe Froman is on a distinguished road

What product is comparable to Optishot in price and quality?

I impulse bought an optishot for my garage build, but now wonder if I should have researched a little more? Nothing against Optishot, I just should have did my research.

6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    Well, you stumbled into the best simulator for the buck ! It is an entry level simulator, which is why I bought my Optishot also. I've had mine for several years, and really don't have much reason to "upgrade" into a better one. The big investment is setting up a simulator space - which involves a projector, laptop, hitting mat, screen, etc. If you go that route, you may decide to upgrade from your Optishot, but you will still have the basic set-up to plug into.

People buy more expensive simulators because (1) they have more money, (2) they want a more precise simulator. These are usually low handicap golfers. Being a regular higher handicap golfer, Optishot is fine for me. I still get good feedback about my swing speed, distance, etc. Optishot has a good Online play system, so if you have friends who you want to play a game with, they won't break the bank getting their own set-up. The best reason: It's loads of fun !!

Good to know! Thanks for the info!

Putter Cowabunga is on a distinguished road
    I am still completing my build but have done a few test rounds with the mat/projector hooked up. I love the Optishot. It's awesome, and I love the feedback I get. Seems pretty accurate too. I'm sure the higher end ones are more accurate, but I agree with psyflyjohn. Unless you're single digits and REALLY want accurate feedback, the return on investment isn't nearly as high on the others as it is for the Optishot.

My father is a single digit handicap, and hasn't found any issue with accuracy on it.

Gap Wedge m3w is on a distinguished road
    The better golfer you are - the more accurate Optishot will be. If you hit the ball dead straight, off the sweet spot every time, then Optishot will adequately represent your ball flight. The problem comes when you start miss hitting. If you skull it, it will show up as a perfect high drive. If you toe it right, it will show up as a nasty hook left. If you trap the ball, and hit down and through, it will rob you of distance. Optishot is perfect for having fun, but it's no simulator. That being said - there's nothing that can compete with it for the price!

Putter Cowabunga is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by m3w View Post
    The better golfer you are - the more accurate Optishot will be. If you hit the ball dead straight, off the sweet spot every time, then Optishot will adequately represent your ball flight. The problem comes when you start miss hitting. If you skull it, it will show up as a perfect high drive. If you toe it right, it will show up as a nasty hook left. If you trap the ball, and hit down and through, it will rob you of distance. Optishot is perfect for having fun, but it's no simulator. That being said - there's nothing that can compete with it for the price!
    Well put. As far as the mis-hits, like the thin shots flying nicely, or fat shots still not hurting you much, it's more a case of having to be self-aware that you know you hit it bad, so work on it yourself. As m3w stated, Optishot won't punish you for those type of shots.

It will show you where you struck the ball on the clubface (within reason, not sure I totally trust that portion), but more importantly (to me, at least), is your swing path and club face angle. That it seems to do a good job with (as well as swing speed).

The problem I've found with trapping the ball is that I hit the lip of the mat that's cut out for the Optishot. I do have an extra thick grass turf on top, and raised the height of the mat to accomodate it. Wasn't factoring in hitting the cutout portion. Looks like after 5-10 rounds that part of the mat is going to be destroyed unless I slightly raise the turf.

I do have the occasional "miss hit", where the ball flight is indicated to be normal, but the ball actually dribbles off the tee, etc. That's the nature of a club head reader system. If you want to be honest, just press the "M" key for mulligan and a retry - just like on a real golf course.....

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Optishot is a starter system. It's accuracy is limited due to lack of ball data (speed, direction, launch and spin). P3po would b a competing system. For better accuracy look at ProTee or Skytrak. Have fun with whatever system you have and can afford.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    Optishot is so good you don't even need to use a ball.

Quote Originally Posted by psyflyjohn View Post
    I do have the occasional "miss hit", where the ball flight is indicated to be normal, but the ball actually dribbles off the tee, etc. That's the nature of a club head reader system. If you want to be honest, just press the "M" key for mulligan and a retry - just like on a real golf course.....
    lol

I've gotten real familiar with the "M" key.

Quote Originally Posted by psyflyjohn View Post
    I saw on Youtube that if you tape the bottom of the clubs to reduce the amount of reflection they produce it helps with the miss hits. Mostly for those occasional swings when it simply doesn't read a thing. I've found that if it's not reading the swing it's usually a lighting issue though. I still haven't tried the tape trick yet as it's still nice enough to go to the actual golf course and I don't really feel like removing and retaping my clubs each time I play, but I'll probably give it a try this winter.

Here's a link to a video that shows what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNjBGhxhLa4

I generally have good results with my clubs, but one cause of the sensors not registering is bouncing the club off the pad when hitting. Too large of a bounce and the club won't be read...

Putter AmyBrandon is on a distinguished road
    Great... Thanks for the information..

Thread Information