CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fore....!

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar

fore....!

Just curious,
    Anyone here ever nail someone with a ball?
    Or get hit?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    I was playing Champlain about 2 weeks ago.

My buddy was in a sand trap on the front right of the green. Meanwhile my other buddy was in front, short about 25 yards. pin's in the left so no problems right ?

Well the guy toes a real screamer right at the guy i nthe trap no time to react, he's standing on the edge of the trap waiting. his bag is right beside him (lying down, stand is broken) and the ball hits his penguin head cover (still on the fly, no bounce) which is only about 3 inches from his ankle. With the speed of the ball we figure it probably would have broken his ankle if the penguin hadn't been there.

His response to the near miss "see, i told you linux was good for something"

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Just curious,
    Anyone here ever nail someone with a ball?
    Or get hit?
    Yup got hit at the Dome on #7 tee box. Someone from #6 hit it right and he couldn't see us down on the tee box, hit me right on the foot. I also hit a truck while playing in Florida

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    A couple of years ago I was playing with some friends at Emerald Links. I'm not sure what the hole number is now since the new 9 opened, but it's the par 5 that runs downhill along the road (I'm pretty sure it's #7 West).

Anyhow, there was a group down around to the right of the pond making their way towards the green, And one guy was playing a shot from the very end of the far bunker.

I'm at the back of the bus after bogey on the previous hole and a little miffed at myself. My buddies all hit their tee shots, meanwhile this guy is still messing around in the bunker. I'm thinking that I want to get as much of the tree in the fairway out of the way for my 2nd shot (I hate that tree) so I swing a little harder than normal. As soon as it left the clubface I lost sight of it in the high sun and clear blue sky, so I'm looking and I ask "Where is it?" One of my friends says, "Man, you got all of that one, but it's heading a little right." Just then I see it and I scream, "Oh sh**! FORE!!" But by then it's too late. The guy in the bunker is raking the sand with his back to us and the ball hits him, I'm not sure at this point where I've hit him, but I know it was on the fly. The guy just sort of pitched forward and fell to his hands and knees. My first thought was, "Oh my god, I hit him in the head!"

We pile into our carts and go racing down the hill. I feel like I'm going to puke and I'm thinking that I've really done some damage to this poor guy. We get there and I go running over to the guy, he's an older gentleman who's on his feet now, and the rest of his group is there checking him out. I'm frantically asking him if he's okay, apologizing and trying to explain what happened. And he's sort of got this smile on his face (in between whincing) and he says "I'm fine.", and I'm still frantic asking "Are you sure? Do you need to get help? Are you bleeding?" Again he tells me he's fine and then he says "I've never seen a ball hit that far." My buddies are shocked and I'm about 2 seconds from passing out from stress, and the guy says that. So we finally determine that he's okay and I ask him where I hit him. He lifts up his shirt and shows me this ugly red welt on the left side of his back. We finally get things sorted out and I ask if I can at least buy him a beer after the round and he accepts. Meanwhile I'm keeping an eye on the guy as we follow to make sure he doesn't collapse during the last couple of holes.

We all sort of had a bit of a laugh about it afterward, but at the time I really thought I had hurt him badly. That's the only time in almost 30 years of golf that I have ever hit anyone and I hope it never happens again. I still get anxious when I think about it.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    A couple of years ago I was playing with some friends at Emerald Links. I'm not sure what the hole number is now since the new 9 opened, but it's the par 5 that runs downhill along the road (I'm pretty sure it's #7 West).

Anyhow, there was a group down around to the right of the pond making their way towards the green, And one guy was playing a shot from the very end of the far bunker.

I'm at the back of the bus after bogey on the previous hole and a little miffed at myself. My buddies all hit their tee shots, meanwhile this guy is still messing around in the bunker. I'm thinking that I want to get as much of the tree in the fairway out of the way for my 2nd shot (I hate that tree) so I swing a little harder than normal. As soon as it left the clubface I lost sight of it in the high sun and clear blue sky, so I'm looking and I ask "Where is it?" One of my friends says, "Man, you got all of that one, but it's heading a little right." Just then I see it and I scream, "Oh sh**! FORE!!" But by then it's too late. The guy in the bunker is raking the sand with his back to us and the ball hits him, I'm not sure at this point where I've hit him, but I know it was on the fly. The guy just sort of pitched forward and fell to his hands and knees. My first thought was, "Oh my god, I hit him in the head!"

We pile into our carts and go racing down the hill. I feel like I'm going to puke and I'm thinking that I've really done some damage to this poor guy. We get there and I go running over to the guy, he's an older gentleman who's on his feet now, and the rest of his group is there checking him out. I'm frantically asking him if he's okay, apologizing and trying to explain what happened. And he's sort of got this smile on his face (in between whincing) and he says "I'm fine.", and I'm still frantic asking "Are you sure? Do you need to get help? Are you bleeding?" Again he tells me he's fine and then he says "I've never seen a ball hit that far." My buddies are shocked and I'm about 2 seconds from passing out from stress, and the guy says that. So we finally determine that he's okay and I ask him where I hit him. He lifts up his shirt and shows me this ugly red welt on the left side of his back. We finally get things sorted out and I ask if I can at least buy him a beer after the round and he accepts. Meanwhile I'm keeping an eye on the guy as we follow to make sure he doesn't collapse during the last couple of holes.

We all sort of had a bit of a laugh about it afterward, but at the time I really thought I had hurt him badly. That's the only time in almost 30 years of golf that I have ever hit anyone and I hope it never happens again. I still get anxious when I think about it.
    Yeah that must have been a little nerverackign. It's scary to think that if a ball actually did hit someone on the head what damage can be done. It can get dangerous out there especially on tight course.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I got hit in the thigh while sitting in a cart. The ball came in through the front of the cart from the opposite fairway, hitting me on the fly. It was 1/2 an inch from the family jewels. Hearing "Fore" just before impact did nothing to help me avoid it since I could not see the ball through the cart roof. It hurt.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    I remember the FOUR of us yelling FORE as loud as we could. Followed by all FOUR of us flinching big time as we saw it hit on the fly.
    By the time we got there, your three playing "buddies"(???) were all saying, "It's OK, he's got all the kids he wants anyway."

Glad everything worked out OK,
    Ciao amigo,
    George

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Yup, all is well, but there is one fella on the tour who always looks at me like he expects me to take revenge one day!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Been Hit

Years ago I was on an adjacent fairway to a par 3 hole. I was actually about 60 yards right of the par 3 green. Now I was out playing with a bunch of JR B Hockey players who were better know for scoring goals than hitting golf shots!
    Anyways, I was helping my brother in law, who was the team trainer with his club selection as he does not golf often. We heard this THUD sound, and I felt a little stinging sensation. Looked down at my feet and there was a ball. Now I will not say exactly where it hit me, but let's just say if it had been an inch to the left I might have been ruined for life!
    It hit so hard that later that night there was a nice round bruise there, it's a wonder the ball logo was not imprinted!
    I have also been hit in the back, that one did not hurt much and was really my own fault as I had gone up the left side of a fairway to be ready to hit my shot. The guy I was with was on the right side, about 40 yards behind me, however he hit a little duck hook that caught me in the back.
    I have only hit one other golfer, and he had cleared the green when I hit my approach to a Par 4. Ball hit the sprinkler head right in front of the left side of the green, took one big bounce and hit him in the back. No damage done though.
    Golf is not supposed to be a dangerous sport
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

8 Iron lovethatping is on a distinguished road
    can't say i've actually been hit or hit anybody. but i've come close.

just last weekend at mt. cascades, hole 11 with the 90 degree left dog leg. i tried to short cut it by going over the trees (ok, fine, i shanked my tee shot!). big mistake, lost the ball into the woods. my friend hit it safely into the fairway but not far enough to make it to the corner of the dogleg. i went searching for the ball but couldn't find it. as i step out of the woods into the open i hear the crack from my friend's 2nd shot. he had hooked it a little, i looked towards him.....i see he has followed through and i'm looking at his face (from 100 yards i'm facing him!) and i see a ball flying directly towards me, jumped out of the way and the ball just missed me. probably would've taken out my knees. weird, never stood in front of a flying golf ball before. it seems slow as it approaches. but you sure get the sense of how fast it is when it passes....or when it hits you i guess.

last year at pineview, i tried to hit an approach shot from deep deep rough. another friend is ahead but walking towards me maybe 5 yards and from the left (i'm a lefty). i completely shanked it (common theme) and it went straight towards his...um...family jewels? he quickly pivoted to avoid and the ball caught the fabric of his shorts. thank goodness, that ball was going to go way off course! we all had a good laugh.

bbad

Smile

Never hit anybody, but had an "incident" that came close. Was playing at a course (not to be named) but it has a patio deck that overlooks the 18th green. I was about 140 yrd out, so I asked my buddy (who had about 10 beers in him at the time) for my 9 iron. He gave my my "9-iron" and I hit my shot - pure'd it. I saw the shadow of the ball going over the green, looked at the bottom of the iron and saw 6 - and screamed at the elderly gentlemen having 2 pitchers of beer and enjoying a fine afternoon. They didn't hear me, but......

A million to one golf shot, but I blew up the 2 pitchers of beer7 (which were just placed there) but did not get any beer on them.....miracle.

Felt really bad about the incident and bought a few more rounds for them. They laughed, and the bill cost me about $150. Ah well......Beer was good.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Oops, almost forgot about my incident. Ok, it's about 15 years ago and the memory cells are slowing........
    Where was I? Oh yeah,

Gatineau GC before the Loblaws was built on top of the old clubhouse. The 150 yd par-3 (#18 now). Three of us standing on the Tee-box-line, directly facing our 4th who was playing in his 1st year. I noticed he had his DRIVER but before I could say anything he gave a mighty swing and the ball flew off the toe directly in to the side of the face of the guy standing beside me. He went down like there wasn't a bone in his body, just sort-of-slithered into a heap. We got him over on his side and we could see his teeth & jaw through the hole in side of his face. Finally flagged down a power-cart and got him to the parking lot. Headed to the Queensway-Carleton Hospital where we sat for over two hours in Emergency. All they did was replace the towel with ice every half-hour nad let him bleed into a pail on the floor. A little constructive surgery over the next 6 months & he was about as good as new.

Neither of them have ever been back on a golf-course..............

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    That is disturbing!

New guy must have felt like jumping off a bridge.
    I have never hit anyone yet,but have had many balls make that zzzzzziiinnnngggg
    over my head! Scary!
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

6 Iron Moose Head is on a distinguished road Moose Head's Avatar
    I used to work on the maintenace crew on the local course back home and got hit on the calf while driving a tractor. THe golfer missed his shot and his line drive went way left and hit me. Within an hour my calf was red/blue and i had a limp for at least a week, it hurt like crazy. Had too many close calls in my 5 years working on a golf course.

I didn't hit someone on this one but...

On the same course, there is a short par four adjacent to the parking lot. On a busy Saturday when the lot is full, i managed to slice my ball in the lot and hit my own car. I had parked my car right next to a garage thinking that it should be a safe place but no, i found my golf ball right beside my broken drivers side window. At least i didn't have to find the owner and apologize but i still had to fork out some $200 to repalce the window.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    I have never hit or been hit, but ...

One day some 12 years ago, playing Metcalfe, we were on the tee at what is now 6 on the 9-hole course (I think it was also 6 on the old course?). There was a 2-some waiting about 40 yards or so behind us near a tree. We heard a hollow thud and thought someone hit a tree off the elevated 7th tee. As we turned to look, one of the guys by the tree fell to the ground. We hurried over (one of our foursome was a nurse) and found that he had been hit in the head on the fly (I will never forget that sound). He was conscious, and after checking him out a bit, the nurse suggested to his partner that he needed to go the hospital. I loaded them into my cart and drove them to the parking lot. The nurse felt that he likely only got a concussion.

Another time, I was at Glen Abbey with my father. We were on the 16th , watching the first round of the Open (1987, I think) and a ball went a bit wayward and hit my father on the thigh on the bounce. The result was just a bruise, but the deflection sent the ball back toward teh fairway. A good result for the golfer (whose name has slipped from memory).

9 Iron r2g2 is on a distinguished road

Hit someone's ball

A few years ago at Maderley on the Par 5 with the evelvated T-box with the ditch running across the fairway. I figured I was still about 250+ away for my 2nd shot and my 3 wood takes me about 230. Forgetting that it hadn't rained for over a week at that point, I hit my shot expecting to be 20 or so yards in front of the green. Well, the ball hits on the fairway and takes a big hop forward and is rolling right up to the green. Meanwhile, there's a guy lining up his putt with his back to us from about 6 feet from the hole. My ball gently rolls up between his legs and hits his ball as he is in his back stroke for his putt and I got a nice little rub closer to the hole.

As soon as we get up to the green, I went directly to the next t-box to apologize. The whole group was very cool about the incident and actually congratulated me for hitting the green in 2.

FYI - I missed the Eagle
    [COLOR=Blue]Rob [/COLOR]

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

fore

I have never hit or been hit by a ball but...
    Last year at my club's father and son tourny, I invited my dad and at Hylands the father and son tourny is played from the red tees. We were on 8 North (par 5 dog leg right) He hits his drive to the right side of the fairway which makes for an ackward second shot. He pulls his 3 wood and gives it a good wack, unfortunately his shot is slicing towards the woods separating the 8 and the 9 fairway. We yell fore and he hits this girl who is sitting in her cart marking her score in the little path separating the 2 holes. He hits her on the leg so we rush over to apologize and say how sorry we are. Her father starts yelling at us,etc... We try to explain that they should have gone to the 9th tee to write their score as we had waited for them to be in that little wood before we hit our shots. Anyway the girl is fine (no bruises,more scared than anything) and the dad is way mad at us. We finish the hole and proceed to the 9 th teeoff (short par 4 dog leg left about 266 yds from the white) Again we are teeing off from the red so maybe 230 to the green. They are on the green putting so we figured that we could hit as I am not a long hitter and my dad is about average. He takes a good swing and hits it pure and it flies straigth for the green, again we yell fore and his ball lands about 10 feet away from the girl he has just hit. Rush again to the green apologising again the dad his furious and gives it to us verbally. Finally they let us go through as they don't want us behind them. We get to the clubhouse and he approaches us to appologize for him yelling at us as he got real scared for his girl. We bought them a couple of beers and everything was just fine.
    Claude

Hybrid Timothy.Reeve is on a distinguished road

close enough for me

At a company day on Manderley, my buddy was teeing off. It was a longer hole, so he took a great whack with his driver. Somehow, the club hit the ball so it went backwards! I've never seen another shot do that. I was about 20 yards behind and on his right, feeling pretty secure. Fortunately, I was watching him hit, as the ball came straight for me. Luckily, I dropped to the ground and the ball whistled overhead! I hate to think what it would have been like if I hadn't been paying attention!
    Cheers,
    Tim

Pitching Wedge GrantTotten is on a distinguished road

Good ole shanks

Playing at Irish Hills with a couple of friends from work. One of them was completely new to the game, but really liked playing.

I'm walking up to my ball on the right side of the fairway as he's short&left (duffed it off the tee). I'm well out of his line of flight, but I didn't count on the dreaded shank!

The ball flies off his club at more than 45 degrees, coming right for me. They both yell and I turn around to see. The ball didn't have much heat on it -- I saw it coming at me (a couple of bounces by this time), but I couldn't quite get out of the way. It bounced off my shin (no pain -- it was almost dead by that point), but I totally hammed up the "ohh! The pain!" angle. I was angling for a free beer, but they didn't believe me. ;-)

Grant
    Argh! Another slice...

2 Iron KenB is on a distinguished road KenB's Avatar
    My girlfriend was standing 30 yards ahead by the womans tee..........

......she never did that again! (heeheehee - I told her but she just wouldn't listen)

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    At the Intersectionals quite a few years back one of my playing partners was hit square in the head by a tee shot. One of those times when the people behind were not familiar enough with the course and thought we were far enough ahead when we weren't (obviously)

He went down like the proverbial pole-axed steer. He was out for about 2 minutes, then jumped up and wanted to continue playing, despite having been unconscious and bleeding from a cut on his scalp.

He was fine the next day, but still not really sure what had happened.

On yelling "Fore!" ... I don't yell if I'm sure the ball is not going to hit anyone. Too many times I've seen people run for cover TOWARDS the ball.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmaninblack
    He was out for about 2 minutes, then jumped up and wanted to continue playing, despite having been unconscious and bleeding from a cut on his scalp.
    Which is insane. He could have easily died from some complication. Did he play on?

Thread Information