100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    BG458

Hiitting a Ball Twice

Hi just want to know what the penalty was for hitting a ball twice? Say you have a chip shot, you hit the ball then you hit it again on you fallow through.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    14-4. Striking the Ball More than Once

If a player’s club strikes the ball more than once in the course of a stroke, the player must count the stroke and add a penalty stroke, making two strokes in all.

So, you can hit the ball as many times as you want during the course of a single stroke, and it still only costs you one penalty stroke.

Some people mistakenly count a stroke for each time you hit the ball. That's an incorrect application of the rule.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    14-4. Striking the Ball More than Once

If a player’s club strikes the ball more than once in the course of a stroke, the player must count the stroke and add a penalty stroke, making two strokes in all.

So, you can hit the ball as many times as you want during the course of a single stroke, and it still only costs you one penalty stroke.

Some people mistakenly count a stroke for each time you hit the ball. That's an incorrect application of the rule.
    But hitting yourself is a 2 stroke penalty, right? (stroke and 2 more?)

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    If you hit yourself coming out of the sand you lose the Masters and Mike Weir wins
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Maybe. Depends on how you do it.

19-2b. Stroke Play
    If a competitor’s ball is accidentally deflected or stopped by himself, his partner or either of their caddies or equipment, the competitor incurs a penalty of two strokes. The ball must be played as it lies, except when it comes to rest in or on the competitor’s, his partner’s or either of their caddies’ clothes or equipment, in which case the competitor must through the green or in a hazard drop the ball, or on the putting green place the ball, as near as possible to where the article was when the ball came to rest in or on it.

However, if you do it on purpose

1-2. Exerting Influence on Ball
    A player or caddie must not take any action to influence the position or the movement of a ball except in accordance with the Rules.
    PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 1-2:
    Match play — Loss of hole; Stroke play — Two strokes.

Note: In the case of a serious breach of Rule 1-2, the Committee may impose a penalty of disqualification.

So, if you do it on purpose, you run the risk of disqualification.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    [color=blue]1-2. Exerting Influence on Ball
    A player or caddie must not take any action to influence the position or the movement of a ball except in accordance with the Rules.
    Does this include the occasion when a ball is hanging on the lip of the cup and the golfer casts his shadow over the ball in hopes to influence it to fall in?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I am gonna bet yes, if done so intentionally. That would be attempting to influence the ball.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    But hitting yourself is a 2 stroke penalty, right? (stroke and 2 more?)
    If, in executing a flop shot, my ball is moving, I hit it twice, it bounces off my power cart, hits me and then I discover I played the wrong ball. How many strokes do I add on? (stroke play).

Quote Originally Posted by D.A.
    Does this include the occasion when a ball is hanging on the lip of the cup and the golfer casts his shadow over the ball in hopes to influence it to fall in?
    It is a question of fact whether you are influencing or attempting to influence the movement of a ball. You can cast a spell to make the ball move too, but it won't get you anything. You can yell at it, do a back flip, or wiggle your nose. No penalty.

However, if you blow on it you're cuffed!

Quote Originally Posted by D.A.
    If, in executing a flop shot, my ball is moving, I hit it twice, it bounces off my power cart, hits me and then I discover I played the wrong ball. How many strokes do I add on? (stroke play).
    ....isn't it time to just jump in the cart and head straight to the nineteenth?

Answer:

None, if your ball was in a hazard.
    Two if your ball was not in a hazard.

15-3b
    If a competitor makes a stroke or strokes at a wrong ball that is not in a hazard, he incurs a penalty of two strokes.
    Strokes made by a competitor with a wrong ball do not count in his score.
    Last edited by spidey; 05-27-2005 at 09:32 AM.

[/color]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Looks like a good call Spidey. But what if it was my ball?

Quote Originally Posted by The Man
    Looks like a good call Spidey. But what if it was my ball?
    Omg. Somebody call Gary!

14-5 No penalty
    14-4 One stroke
    18-2b One stroke
    19-2b Two strokes

...plus you swung at it, making 5 strokes on that swing.

[/color]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Who are you, Darth Vader?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    No penalty. Casting a shadow won't do any more than casting a spell. However, placing your bag near the ball to shield the wind would be influencing the movement of the ball.

2 strokes for playing the wrong ball.
    Strokes played with the wrong ball do not count in the player's score. See Rule 15-3.

(Spidey panics easily)

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    [color=blue]1-2. Exerting Influence on Ball
    This reminds me of a situation that came up this past weekend while I was playing in a stroke play event. My FC had a very long putt from the front of the green to a back hole location on a long green. The hole was placed on a very tricky slope. He did not require the flag to be tended, so I removed it and placed it on the green where I thought it would be more than far enough away, it was about 20 ft below and to the right, almost on the fringe. He did not hit it hard enough, or play nearly enough break, so his ball came up over the mound, broke hard right and started falling back down the left to right slope towards the flagstick. It was just trickling, and the other FC (not the putter) says "Oh watch the flag!!"; as in "You better move the flagstick!". I said I could not (move the flag as it could potentially influence the movement of the ball). The ball ended up just missing the flagstick by a few inches before coming to rest, so it did not matter here. But was I right or wrong in my decision to leave the flagstick where it was?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrace
    But was I right or wrong in my decision to leave the flagstick where it was?
    That's right. If you're not attending the flagstick, you can't move it during a stroke.

17-1. Flagstick Attended, Removed or Held Up
    If the flagstick is not attended, removed or held up before the player makes a stroke, it must not be attended, removed or held up during the stroke or while the player’s ball is in motion if doing so might influence the movement of the ball.

[/color]

Pitching Wedge DCH is on a distinguished road
    Hang on Spidey - he said he removed it before his FC made his stroke

Quote Originally Posted by DCH
    Hang on Spidey - he said he removed it before his FC made his stroke
    Exactly. He removed it and laid it on the ground. That means he's not holding it.

If the flagstick is not attended, removed or held up before the player makes a stroke, it must not be attended, removed or held up during the stroke or while the player’s ball is in motion if doing so might influence the movement of the ball.

[/color]

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrace
    He did not require the flag to be tended, so I removed it and placed it on the green where I thought it would be more than far enough away, it was about 20 ft below and to the right, almost on the fringe.
    Sorry guys, I should have made this more clear. Yes, I did all the above (removed the flagstick, placed it on the ground and got out of the way) before he made the stroke.

Pitching Wedge DCH is on a distinguished road
    If the flagstick is not attended, removed or held up before the player makes a stroke, it must not be attended, removed
    moved or held up during the stroke or while the player’s ball is in motion if doing so might influence the movement of the ball.

The rule is not clear. Removed does not necessarily mean moved. The D helps

Quote Originally Posted by DCH
    If the flagstick is not attended, removed or held up before the player makes a stroke, it must not be attended, removed
    moved or held up during the stroke or while the player’s ball is in motion if doing so might influence the movement of the ball.

The rule is not clear. Removed does not necessarily mean moved. The D helps
    The reason that Rule 17 does not seem clear to you is because the answer has nothing to do with Rule 17.

When a ball is in motion, an obstruction which might influence the movement of the ball, other than an attended flagstick or equipment of the players, shall not be removed. See Rule 24-1.

An unattended flagstick lying on the ground is just another obstruction.

FYI - The flagstick is either in the hole or removed from the hole. So, removed does mean moved. In any case, it is a moot point because you have mis-quoted the Rule and it does not say anything about "moved".

Thread Information