CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flagstick Open

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

Flagstick Open

Anyone playing?
    Looks like a pretty low attendance this year.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I usually attend, its a great tournament, but I'm out of town this weekend and can't make it .
    With the fees , they're getting $150 of Taylormade /Adidas swag , so it's a great deal on top of lunch, dinner , prizes , green fees etc
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I've played in the past but can't make it this year - same weekend as Bluesfest. It's been a good deal in the past but the price went up a fair bit so that may have turned some people off. The event has been very well run in the past

is there a list posted somewhere?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    I played in the Flagstick Open this year. It was my first competitive tournament round in 20 years and was round #5 and 6 on the year. I had an absolute blast.

We were given a decent little swag package upon registration, a steak dinner on Sat and 2 rounds of golf...I would say that we got a hell of a deal.

Got placed in the B flight and managed to get it around ok for 36 holes, played with 4 really good dudes over the 2 days and got to witness some unreal golf. Who the hell shoots -11?? Crazy.

Needless to say, I look forward to next year's event already.

Here is the recap from Flagstick. http://go.shr.lc/2a2ymkM

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    -11 and the B Flight player shot -9 WTF!!?? What is the cap range for B Flight??

both wer pretty low. I think reza said there was a 5 in c flight

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    -11 and the B Flight player shot -9 WTF!!?? What is the cap range for B Flight??
    I saw that. This is absolutely ridiculous. Kid played out of a private course in Toronto if memory serves.

Jeepers 5 handicaps in the C flight playing against guys that are prob close 18-20 caps? How does that make sense at all...

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Jeepers 5 handicaps in the C flight playing against guys that are prob close 18-20 caps? How does that make sense at all...
    I was curious about this and I asked the tournament director. He told me that the cut off this year was as follows (approx)

A Flight (+2.5-2.8)
    B Flight (3.0-6.8)
    C Flight (7 and up)
    Senior flight (open)

Apparently most years the cut off for A is under 2. There are some crazy good golfers around here.

Wow.

There used to be 4 flights and no senior division so a 12 had a chance. It's now more of an elite event

So someone between a 3.0 and a 6.8 shot 9 under par over two rounds.....hmmm that seems fairly astronomical to me...

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    There used to be 4 flights and no senior division so a 12 had a chance. It's now more of an elite event
    I'm not sure that it's so much of an "elite event" as it is simply a function of the number of registrations being down.

With only 75+ registered, it would make it difficult to have 4 evenly stacked flights. Who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong.

This was their first year amalgamating all 3 tournaments that had been run previously as part of the BMG Cup series into one event. Based on this, they may look to change it up a bit next year.

I know I'll be there regardless. It really was a good event.

So I just looked that B flight player up and his index is 1.8 prior to entering those 2 killer tournament rounds from the weekend. So it is bound to go down even further now.

Might have been an oversight on the Directors part in putting him in B.

Oh well.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Wow... Just took a look at the runner up's scoring record on the Golf Canada site. His scores had been trending in a positive direction but I would say that the odds of him shooting these two rounds back-to-back (in a tournament) would be astronomical!

For comparison, the winner's index is +4.2 and his 2016 scoring average is 69.8. The runner up's index is (now) 1.2 and his 2016 scoring average is 78.2!

Equinelle isn't the toughest track around but still... an incredible performance!
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I played this year after missing the last 2 years, and these were my 3rd and 4th rounds of the year. The course was in MINT condition, I was amazed!

I played with the "B" player who shot -9 and I can tell you, he was on fire, but I also think that his tournament scores over the last several years would have him as a B based on the 2.3 cut off that I was told they used. He hit the ball a mile off the tee and only missed bigtime right off the tee early in Round 1 on #4 and #5 but those misses just placed him in the adjacent fairways which was fine. Other than that, he was down the middle all day long and long long long!

I will admit that the course was in perfect scoring condition and he took advantage. I did not play great and managed to play 17 holes at +1 after a triple on Hole #1, so it was easy to see how someone hitting it 300+ down the middle could go low.

The greens were quick but not overly fast. they held approach shots, the fairways were like carpets, there was next to no wind on day one a slight breeze day 2 so it was ideal.

Can't beat the value with 2 rounds on the weekend + steak dinner + a hat, some balls and a cool backpack from Taylor Made.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Perhaps his pockets were not as full of sand as they normally are?....Haha!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    I'm not sure that it's so much of an "elite event" as it is simply a function of the number of registrations being down.

With only 75+ registered, it would make it difficult to have 4 evenly stacked flights. Who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong.

This was their first year amalgamating all 3 tournaments that had been run previously as part of the BMG Cup series into one event. Based on this, they may look to change it up a bit next year.

I know I'll be there regardless. It really was a good event.
    last year was more or less the same with the elimination of the D flight and the addition of the senior division. At least they had more than 4 people in the senior division. It's a well run event but I think the way it is headed it will make it a challenge to keep the higher caps interested if they have to compete against high single digit caps.

equinelle isn't the toughest track but it's not a pushover either. the yardage listed for the A/B flights was 7000 yards but I am not sure it played that.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    You're right....the odds are astronomical.

http://www.popeofslope.com/sandbagging/odds.html

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I couldn't make to the event this year , and hope to be there next year , but having the flights depending on the number of entries isn't correct IMO .
    If the lowest in C is a 7 handicap , then realistically anyone over an 11 cap has really no chance .Maybe over 1 day , someone can have a great round , last year someone shot a career low , but over 2 rounds its hard to repeat that same feat.
    It should be a specified cut off point regardless of no. of entries.
    But it's still a fantastic event, and from what I heard it was no different this year
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Thread Information