CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rakes

3 Wood Sab is on a distinguished road Sab's Avatar

Rakes

Not sure if there is a rule or is it etiquette. Where is the correct place to leave a rake, in or out of the bunker? I always thought in but saw during the women's US Open yesterday they are out, and by 2-3 feet.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I have played a few courses where there are signs asking to leave the rakes in the bunkers.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Rakes should be strategically placed in front of the bunker to form a wall that will deflect any balls from entering the bunker.

Just kidding. There is no rule. Some courses prefer them in the bunker, others prefer them outside the bunker - if there are no instructions then leave them where you want.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Rakes should be strategically placed in front of the bunker to form a wall that will deflect any balls from entering the bunker.

Just kidding. There is no rule. Some courses prefer them in the bunker, others prefer them outside the bunker - if there are no instructions then leave them where you want.
    with the idea that they should be placed where they have the least amount of impact on the ball. Some courses like them in as it makes cutting the grass easier.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Decision Misc./2 Whether Rakes Should Be Placed in or Outside Bunkers
    Q.Should rakes be placed in or outside bunkers?

A.There is not a perfect answer for the position of rakes, but on balance it is felt there is less likelihood of an advantage or disadvantage to the player if rakes are placed outside bunkers.

It may be argued that there is more likelihood of a ball being deflected into or kept out of a bunker if the rake is placed outside the bunker. It could also be argued that if the rake is in the bunker it is most unlikely that the ball will be deflected out of the bunker.

However, in practice, players who leave rakes in bunkers frequently leave them at the side which tends to stop a ball rolling into the flat part of the bunker, resulting in a much more difficult shot than would otherwise have been the case. This is most prevalent at a course where the bunkers are small. When the ball comes to rest on or against a rake in the bunker and the player must proceed under Rule 24-1, it may not be possible to replace the ball on the same spot or find a spot in the bunker which is not nearer the hole - see Decision 20-3d/2.

If rakes are left in the middle of the bunker the only way to position them is to throw them into the bunker and this causes damage to the surface. Also, if a rake is in the middle of a large bunker it is either not used or the player is obliged to rake a large area of the bunker resulting in unnecessary delay.

Therefore, after considering all these aspects, it is recommended that rakes should be left outside bunkers in areas where they are least likely to affect the movement of the ball.

Ultimately, it is a matter for the Committee to decide where it wishes rakes to be placed.

NB The situation described in bold may result in a penalty stroke of course

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Thanks AAA for your excellent response.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I once read that Palmer and Nicklaus had a long running debate about this. Palmer believing in and Nicklaus out.
    I was first told in UK to leave them in as that assists the ground staff in mowing etc and didn't allow a rake to prevent the ball entering the bunker.
    All this to say...here I just tend to leave the takes where I found them

3 Wood Sab is on a distinguished road Sab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    I once read that Palmer and Nicklaus had a long running debate about this. Palmer believing in and Nicklaus out.
    I was first told in UK to leave them in as that assists the ground staff in mowing etc and didn't allow a rake to prevent the ball entering the bunker.
    All this to say...here I just tend to leave the takes where I found them
    Excellent advice, thanks for all the informed responses.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Many, but unfortunately, not all courses, will list local rules on the scorecard. Often this doesn't include rake position. Put them where you find them and you can't go wrong.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Watching TGC preview of The Open last night with flyover of the holes at Troon..all the rakes were in the bunkers and laying perpendicular to the lips (if that description makes sense)

Quote Originally Posted by goochy View Post
    Watching TGC preview of The Open last night with flyover of the holes at Troon..all the rakes were in the bunkers and laying perpendicular to the lips (if that description makes sense)
    As the decision says, it is a matter for the Committee. What happens at Troon before the Open has nothing to do with the R&A.
    During the Open the rakes are in the hands of the volunteer 'rakers' who are all members of BIGGA.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    As the decision says, it is a matter for the Committee. What happens at Troon before the Open has nothing to do with the R&A.
    During the Open the rakes are in the hands of the volunteer 'rakers' who are all members of BIGGA.
    I do understand...was just pointing out as an FYI

Putter Oliva is on a distinguished road Oliva's Avatar
    It may be argued that there is more likelihood of a ball being deflected into or kept out of a bunker if the rake is placed outside the bunker. It could also be argued that if the rake is in the bunker it is most unlikely mega joker
 that the ball will be deflected out of the bunker.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliva View Post
    It may be argued that there is more likelihood of a ball being deflected into or kept out of a bunker if the rake is placed outside the bunker. It could also be argued that if the rake is in the bunker it is most unlikely mega joker
 that the ball will be deflected out of the bunker.
    If a ball can be deflected into a bunker when lying 2 yards away, it can be deflected out of a bunker if the rake is at the edge.
    Leave it out, a rake length away and not on a normal line of play. Simples

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Interesting topic, played Pineview today and had a ball deflect into a bunker after hitting a rake. Normally not a bad thing, but the bunkers were wet and some were dirt pits.

Quote Originally Posted by 1800Duffers View Post
    Interesting topic, played Pineview today and had a ball deflect into a bunker after hitting a rake. Normally not a bad thing, but the bunkers were wet and some were dirt pits.
    How far was the rake from the bunker and where in relation to the natural line of play? Did the ball hit it on the fly?

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Ball bounced before hitting the rake and it was about 2 feet away from the bunker. Keep in mind that Ottawa has had a brutal winter and some recent rain.

The rake was in the wrong place, ie too close to the bunker.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Our course says to leave them in, so thats where i leave them. Pretty simple.

Thread Information