CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge pgapro0825 is on a distinguished road

Simulator Build Help $15,000 - $20,000 budget

Newbie here, I’ve tried to consume as many threads as needed to feel educated enough to post. Thank you to all for the contributions that have created a tremendous resource.

My intent here is to ensure I understand the current state of all the recommendations before I embark on this project.

Project Specs - 3rd bay garage, dimensions - 18 ft wide, 25 feet deep, 15 ft high ceilings so I have plenty of room. Plan is to have the screen 16ft x 9ft.

I'm currently an 8 hdcp so I am looking for data and accuracy as well as online play, I'd weigh the importance equal at 50/50. I live in Seattle so really want to keep the game sharp during the winter. Also have 3 younger kids so 5hrs to play golf is massively challenging. This is for us all to use as they get introduced to the game.

What’s important - set up for right and left handed golfer, accuracy, ball data, club data. flexibility to take LM outdoors, best picture quality with screen, flexibility with online play between E6 and TGC, range play with structured practice (combine)

Budget is $15,000 to $20,000.

In reading the threads, it appears the optimal setup for simulation…adding that some of these review are older in date so curious if there are or will be better options in the market or through firmware/software updates.

Launch Monitor - GC2 + ProTee,

Turf - Country Club Elite

Putting - #1. ProTee putting sensor, #2 GC2 seems to do a good job based on youtube videos I’ve seen.

Screen - Par2Pro HQ2-T6

Netting - unsure - appear to be numerous options

Range Software - Trackman appears to be the best w/ combine and camera

Online play - E6 or TGC or both

Putting - ProTee putting sensor

Projector - Short throw - ceiling mount 1080p, bright - numerous options.

What I like -

Trackman - Range/analysis software, accuracy, video+data

GC2 - Accuracy, indoor/outdoor flexibility, simulator playability, allows for different turf for rough, sand…etc.

Skytrak - Unknown - see difference of opinions

Flightscope - Space requirements,

ES16 - price and club/face data all in one

TruGolf - all in one solutions

What I don’t -

Trackman - Cost and space needed for accurate readings, putting & chipping accuracy and online play options. General sim playability does not feel like a priority to them vs others in the space.

GC2 - lack of versatility for L/R handed players, cost of HMT, club dots

Skytrak - 3-10 second delay in shot being recognized (this does not work for me)

ProTee - I don’t love the hitting sensor, would prefer consistent turf but can get over this if it is the best option. Lighting requirements, solvable but not ideal. Also does not allow for different turf, i.e., rough, sand etc.

FlightScope - known, doesn’t appear to be superior to GC2

ES16 - untested, promise vs. reality at this point.

TruGolf - No integration to TGC, hitting sensor not optimal - truth be told I have researched this simulator the least as I prefer a launch monitor

Questions -
    1. If you were building a sim with this budget & space what would you invest in?
    2. What is the optimal width for L&R handed setup
    3. How far should hitting area be from screen?
    4. is the ProTee recommendation based on the club data or for software?
    5. Is the ProTee a superior cost option vs. HMT that can be integrated with GC2 Ball data or is it simply the best option for software options?
    6. Trackman III vs. T4 - does it require less space and is accuracy confirmed through testing vs, what the sales team is saying?
    7. How many feet of ball flight does trackman need before screen? I see variances in what they are saying vs. what people have experienced.
    8. Can the Country Club elite turf be fitted with the ProTee hitting sensor
    9. Can the Country Club elite turf be fitted with sand/rough turf?
    10. Does the proTee hitting mat come in more authentic grass colors, the one I see being sold is a neon green which isn’t too important but curious if it is an option.
    11. Any update on the SkyTrak delay being resolved?
    12. At this price point, would you go with a all in one professional option vs. a DIY? Curious if others have spend $12-15K and looked back feeling like they would have been better off spending $20K to ensure everything is working properly and have support to fix any issues.

Apologies if I am all over the place, I underestimated to complexity and science behind the simulators so I am still in an overwhelmed state and want to make the best decisions when making this level of investment. Of course when looking at the want list it is a $50-60,000 simulator so there will need to be compromise. I've begun reaching out to all the manufactures to better understand each product but value the opinion of this forum due to lower bias and direct experience.

Thank you in advance for all your help to this point and moving forward. I look forward to being a contributor as I get this project underway and gain knowledge. I'll certainly be using some of the contributors as I purchase the materials.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    You're right. You're all over the place. Lol.

You have enough room for TM. TM now works in under 20 feet. It's really expensive. You talk about ProTee but ProTee is a sensor system like Trugolf. Trugolf is a package and ProTee is a build it yourself. Indoors nothing beats the GC2 for accuracy and ease of use but it needs to,be turned around. For a leftie. It's a hassle.

Here's your answers:
    1. I have a GC2, TGC, CCE mat. I'm extremely happy. I'd do the same again.
    2. 15 feet
    3. 10 feet
    4. Yes but it's more of an older diy technology that for most part is cheaper for club data and sim
    5. No. GC2/HMT is far far superior
    6. T4 is better, requires less space is way more money
    7. Depends on spin and ball speed. More spin, less ball speed, less distance. Needs two revolutions
    8. Yes but the CCE is good to hit off. There's better options for a stance mat for less money
    9. Yes but Bad idea
    10. No
    11. It's likely as good as it'll get
    12. The more you spend, the better your set up. Doing stuff yourself is a huge savings

Thanks mthunt, very very helpful on the ProTee and TruGolf. I will remove those as viable options and settle on the GC2, a few follow up questions.

1. From what you have experienced or heard, is there a significant improvement/advantage of the new GC2 LM's vs. the older versions? I have seen a variety for sale over the last few months, some are 4-5 years old with a significant cost savings. Curious how the "newer is better" fits for this product market. GC2 and TM's look to be in use for years and years so curious to understand how the units hold up and if the older models have limitations regarding firmware/software updates.
    9. Can I assume the different turf options have a negative impact on the GC2's accuracy? Curious why it is a bad idea.

Do you have HMT? if so, is it worth the investment? If not, is this something you will invest in in the future or do you feel the cost outweighs the benefit?

Do you have the FSX for the range or do you run different software? Based on everything I have read the software costs related to the GC2 are what really drive up the price. The costs feel extraordinary compared to others...curious if there are other software options that the GC2 is compatible with.

Thank you again for your quick reply, much appreciated.

The only difference between old GC2's and new ones is new ones work with Apple. GC2a. That's it. As for the rough and sand, it doesn't really simulate sand or rough and the ball will be above your feet. I don't see the Benefit. Each to his own I guess. I run TGC. I don't have FSX. As for the HMT, I'll likely buy one. The only negative is the stickers.

Putter foreforall is on a distinguished road
    Contact me directly if I can answer any questions on pricing, data, or room design. We do it all and I guide my guys whether they get the peripheral components through Foresight or direct from manufacturers.

Justin Fitzpatrick
    Foresight Sports
    jfitzpatrick@foresightsports.com - preferred email address as I don't check the blogs everyday for incoming messages.

mthunt,

I read on a thread that you recommend archery netting behind the screen. Curious to understand why and how the performance is superior in your opinion. I don't have a lot of room behind the screen, I figure I'll have 6" for some padding, netting and the screen. My primary concern with the screen is its ability to remain firm and flat with no denting or indentations and picture quality. Curious if the archery netting may be advantageous for addressing my concerns on the screen.

My plan is to go with HQ2-T6 which I understand to be the best on the market after reviewing the threads. Let me know if you have a difference of opinion.

Thx as always.

When a ball is travelling at 150mph into a screen, the screen needs to absorb the shot. The less absorption, the farther back or faster the ball will bounce back. The screen absorbs the ball by flexing. The more it flexes, the more strain on the screen. Netting directly behind the screen helps to support the screen making it flex less and also putting less wear and tear on the screen.

Keep in mind the HQ without support will flex close to a foot depending on the size of the screen. If you are 6 inches from the wall, the screen will flex and it will be like hitting the ball against the wall. It will fly back at your head.

With 6" do you feel one layer of archery netting is sufficient or am I better off doubling up and hanging 2 pieces of netting. Adds to the cost a bit but will likely prolong the life of the screen and serve as additional safety due to the proximity of the back wall.

6 is really pushing it. I don't think it'll work. At 6 inches I hit the wall with a 6 iron.

Putter Pharmer Ron is on a distinguished road
    pgapro0825,

Your plans and budget are almost identical with what I want to build. I have a 15 by 20 ft room in my basement with a 10 ft ceiling. I was thinking about placing a full or queen size memory foam mattress behind the screen to absorb the impact of the balls. If there is a little space between the screen and the mattress it shouldn't affect the picture on the screen. Has anyone else done this?

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmer Ron View Post
    pgapro0825,

Your plans and budget are almost identical with what I want to build. I have a 15 by 20 ft room in my basement with a 10 ft ceiling. I was thinking about placing a full or queen size memory foam mattress behind the screen to absorb the impact of the balls. If there is a little space between the screen and the mattress it shouldn't affect the picture on the screen. Has anyone else done this?
    I am 8" from screen to wall with netting behind the screen and 2 side by side king size 3" memory foam mattress pads suspended between the screen and the wall. Works great.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Agree. Plan at least 8 inches from the wall. I am 12 inches with netting behind.

Pharmer Ron,

This appears to be a popular solution, Par2Pro also recommended it and sells the foam.

Putter JHMVI is on a distinguished road
    Hi there PGAPRO0825 - ran across your post from a year ago and am in roughly same spot as you were today -- wondering if you could post an update on what you ultimately ended up doing for your home simulator, if you ended up in the $15-20K range, what you learned and would change if anything... would be a big help! Thx.

Hi JHMVI,

You can view pictures of my completed SIM here - http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...ictures/page19

Total cost was ~$23,000 but that includes various other items outside the SIM...fridge, TV, AV unit, wires etc. I would certainly plan on the high-end of the range. I have since added the HMT for another $6,000 so my total cost is now ~$29,000. I highly recommend the HMT, total game changer from the only GC2 setup.

I've received a few similar pings, please DM me and I'll forward you all the research I collected and the details of the space and what I was working to solve. I am 6 months removed also, happy to provide some perspective on what I've learned post install. One thing for sure, I go through a lot of balls, even the hard covered. I am also on my second screen as mine wore out after 3.5 months. I had to adjust some of my tension in the screen but regardless, you need a steady rotation of balls to eliminate those that are scuffed etc.

Take a look at the pics and let me know if you have any follow up questions, happy to help. Enjoy the project, you will learn a lot and its great to see it come together. The ability to practice every day and in the least make a few swings is proving to be an incredible benefit. It is very different than the course but it transfers very great, no more adjustment periods or breaks through the winter.

4 Iron WolfWRX is on a distinguished road
    Don't discount Fiberbuilt for your mat either. I've got a Fiberbuilt mat and am very happy with it. Plus they're a Canadian company.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I agree. I love my Fiberbuilt mat.

Do you know if they offer hitting strips? I'd like to try them out and replace my CCE. It is not clear on their website.

Thread Information