CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Back to basics!

5 Wood rossigm is on a distinguished road rossigm's Avatar

Back to basics!

All these new drivers at $600 with endless adjustments here and there are they really worth it or is it just to make us buy new clubs? Well I say! They don’t work, not for us mortals anyway; I’ll give you 2 different scenarios to prove it.

First of all, the problem is never the club but the person holding the club, don’t forget that!

I’m a 7 handicap, ever since I got rid of my old faithful Taylor Made R7 425 driver 4-5 years ago I’ve been going through drivers like there’s no tomorrow!!!! I was slicing the ball just a little bit with my old R7 so I told myself it’s time for a change so I traded in my R7 and started going through drivers on a yearly basis….I’ve tried Titleist’s, Nike’s, Cobra’s other Taylor Made’s the R1 Tour was my latest, I would hit them okay for a few games then a wicked slice would show up. Believe me I tried all the possible adjustments imaginable on every clubs without any good result. No way am I going to cough up $600 + taxes for a Taylor made M1 (BTW retailers cost value for this club is $269) or any other high end driver to end up with the same result. So two weeks ago I said F.. it, I got on Ebay and found myself a Taylor Made R7 425, 65G REAX Mid Tip stiff shaft in mint condition just like the one I traded off. After 3 games I’ve never hit the ball so long and strait in the past 5 years and it only cost me $90 shipped I’m a happy golfer again!

My second scenario; last winter my good buddy who likes to play pranks on people asked me to take care of his driveway while he was in Florida for a couple of weeks. One day I went in the garage to get the snow blower and notice that he didn’t bring his clubs with him like any good golfing buddy would do I changed all the settings on his Titleist driver, 3 wood and 5 wood. I told him last week when we were all on a golf trip in Tremblant. He’s been playing since April with clubs that weren’t adjusted to his original specs, he noticed a slight difference at the beginning of the season but made minor adjustment to his stance and still manage to shoot low 80 high 70 and beat me a few times on top of that …..So I guess the joke ended up to be on me!

All this to say, save your money these fancy clubs with all those adjustments won’t save your game (really) if you do want to buy one go to site like this, there are hundreds of guys like me who buys new clubs that don’t change their game and re-sales them for half the price………..A Taylor Made R1 Tour will probably be available soon

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree, I have had adjustable drivers since they first came out and found that one setting that worked and never touched it after that. My favourite driver to date oddly enough is the same R7 425. I think the best advice is to get fitted for a driver/shaft combo that best suits your swing and go from there. I did get fitted and it helped narrow my searches for drivers and shafts that suit my lowly swing speed and all in all they all perform quite well. One driver is very straight, another is slightly longer but a little wilder. Certainly I have never spent big bucks on drivers and I would go back to a fitting again, that is worth every penny.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

5 Wood rossigm is on a distinguished road rossigm's Avatar
    A quick update a month after the re-purchase of my old faithful R7. I played eleven rounds since I got it a month ago, seven of those rounds are in the mid 70's and 4 in the low 80's all played at Le Sorcier (9) and Chateau Montebello (2). Before I was shooting mid to high 80's!!!! Makes a huge difference to play in the middle of the fairway and not hitting 3 off the tee!!!!

Driver Brent4Hire is on a distinguished road
    I doubt anyone will argue that there have been improvements in forgiveness, but do people who need maximum forgiveness from a driver get any real benefit from being able to adjust it? I'm a decent ball-striker with a driver, and I don't think I benefit from it - getting fit with a driver and shaft that optimized my speed, launch, and spin did, and while the driver is adjustable, I haven't taken the plastic off the adjustment tool since I left Golftown with it ;-).

Funniest thing, the people I've played with who change driver settings mid round are consistently the worst golfers I've played with. One guy I got paired with this summer turned his head so closed to fight off a slice I actually asked him if he wanted to borrow my (lefty) driver.

PS - love that prank, Rossig
    If you're gonna walk on thin ice, ya might as well dance.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Totally agree...friend of mine is a huge slicer of the golf ball...he just bought the M2..great looking club, but now he just slices it farther right.

People are better of spending the $500 on a few lessons to get a proper fundamentals, then get fitted properly. Adjustable drivers are meant to tweak loft, lie, bias etc...not a cure for a bad swing.

Buddy mentioned above spends the equivalent of a small country's GDP on Pro V1's. All I can tell you is the happiest golfers on the course are the ones behind him finding all his Pro V's!!

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KOKO72 View Post
    Totally agree...friend of mine is a huge slicer of the golf ball...he just bought the M2..great looking club, but now he just slices it farther right.

People are better of spending the $500 on a few lessons to get a proper fundamentals, then get fitted properly. Adjustable drivers are meant to tweak loft, lie, bias etc...not a cure for a bad swing.

Buddy mentioned above spends the equivalent of a small country's GDP on Pro V1's. All I can tell you is the happiest golfers on the course are the ones behind him finding all his Pro V's!!
    That's what's great about KNET and the other rescuers of slightly used premium balls!
    Last edited by stevek; 10-14-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Thread Information