100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Request that ball be lifted

A, B and C are playing in a stroke play tournament. B's ball is 3' from the hole and C is about to chip from the fringe. Thinking that C wants to use B's ball as a backstop and to protect the field, A requests that B's ball be marked and lifted. Before B can do this C chips and hits B's ball. Is C penalized? C heard the request.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    A, B and C are playing in a stroke play tournament. B's ball is 3' from the hole and C is about to chip from the fringe. Thinking that C wants to use B's ball as a backstop and to protect the field, A requests that B's ball be marked and lifted. Before B can do this C chips and hits B's ball. Is C penalized? C heard the request.
    Player A has the right under Rule 22-1 to have B's ball marked.
    Player C is disqualified under Rule 3-4 for failing to comply with a Rule affecting the rights of another player.

BTW- It is irrelevant whether or not the ball of player C actually hits the ball of player B.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    Player A has the right under Rule 22-1 to have B's ball marked.
    Player C is disqualified under Rule 3-4 for failing to comply with a Rule affecting the rights of another player.

BTW- It is irrelevant whether or not the ball of player C actually hits the ball of player B.
    A similar situation happened to me several years ago in a close club championship race when I requested that an FC's ball be marked before a third FC chipped. The ball was marked and lifted but not before the third FC's called me many names that are not permitted on this forum

However, I got my revenge because my name is on the trophy. I suppose that it should not be surprising that cheaters get the most upset when they get caught.

Big_duck
    A similar situation happened to me several years ago in a close club championship race when I requested that an FC's ball be marked before a third FC chipped. The ball was marked and lifted but not before the third FC's called me many names that are not permitted on this forum

However, I got my revenge because my name is on the trophy. I suppose that it should not be surprising that cheaters get the most upset when they get caught.
    BC if I didn't know better I would swear you brought up the question, only to know the answer, in order to mention your name on a trophy.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar

Question

Can you ask someone to mark their ball in the fairway near the front of the green if it is in the line of your chip?

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    You can ask anyone to mark their ball anywhere if you think it may interfere with play.

Rule 22-2. There is no stipulation that the ball must be on the green.

Note that the difference is that on the green, any player may mark and lift their ball at any time (16-1b). Off the green, players must use another rule. (22 and 5 are common, but there are others, such as 12-2)
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    BC if I didn't know better I would swear you brought up the question, only to know the answer, in order to mention your name on a trophy.
    Nope! Just to show that even by trying to cheat, they didn't win. The original scenario above actually recently happened, but others were present. When I heard the story I was uncertain of the consequences.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 05-26-2005 at 03:16 PM.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    I suppose that it should not be surprising that cheaters get the most upset when they get caught.
    He wasn't actually cheating since he didn't chip until after the ball was marked. There's no rule that says a ball has to be marked and there's no rule that says you can't use an opponents ball for a backstop from off the green. Having said that, I would always ask for any balls around the hole or close to the line of an opponents chip to be marked. It's just good (competetive) sense. If the opponent is upset by it, that's his problem.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmaninblack
    there's no rule that says you can't use an opponents ball for a backstop from off the green.
    Player A should ask for player B's ball to be marked. Player B should ask player A to wait until he marks his ball.
    If neither happens, there would be strong evidence that the player's have agreed to wave Rule 22-1. Both players could be disqualified under Rule 1-3.

Thread Information