+ Reply to Thread
    Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road

When a hole in one is not

I had to share this as its too good not too.

I was playing Canadian last week. Not playing overly well but not horrid either. We get to #9. I have honors. We are playing the orange. I hit a slightly pulled 8 iron going at a back right pin. As a lefty it drifts towards the trees I cant see. I am not sure I can find it. So I wait and hit a provisional. Hit it online. It rolls towards hole and disappears. I look at my 2 buddies and say, "that better have rolled off the back and not in the hole". We walk up and I cant see my 2nd. I can however see my 1st in the trees right. So I walk to the hole and sure enough its in there. Now a meaningless shot I pick it up and proceed to my 1st. Hit a poor chip. 2 putt bogey. All I got for the ball going in, was this story.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Frustrating game at times but great story to tell your grandkids.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post

I was playing Canadian last week. Not playing overly well but not horrid either. We get to #9. I have honors. We are playing the orange. I hit a slightly pulled 8 iron going at a back right pin. As a lefty it drifts towards the trees I cant see. I am not sure I can find it. So I wait and hit a provisional. Hit it online. It rolls towards hole and disappears. I look at my 2 buddies and say, "that better have rolled off the back and not in the hole".
    If you had looked in the hole first instead of the trees, you could have ended up with a par:

27-2b/2

When Provisional Ball Holed Becomes Ball in Play

Q.At a short hole, A's tee shot may be out of bounds or lost, so he plays a provisional ball, which he holes. A does not wish to look for his original ball. B, A's opponent or a fellow-competitor, goes to look for the original ball. When does the provisional ball become the ball in play?

A.In equity (Rule 1-4) the provisional ball becomes the ball in play as soon as A picks it out of the hole, provided his original ball has not already been found in bounds within five minutes of B starting to search for it.

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    After holing a second shot for a hole-in-one that didn't count..I could care less whether I made par or bogey with that ruling...I'd be furious
    I like to call it a power fade

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    I did the exact same thing on a par 3 a few years ago. No one in the group even made an effort to find my first ball. Let me have my strange par.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post

I was playing Canadian last week. Not playing overly well but not horrid either. We get to #9. I have honors. We are playing the orange. I hit a slightly pulled 8 iron going at a back right pin. As a lefty it drifts towards the trees I cant see. I am not sure I can find it. So I wait and hit a provisional. Hit it online. It rolls towards hole and disappears. I look at my 2 buddies and say, "that better have rolled off the back and not in the hole". We walk up and I cant see my 2nd. I can however see my 1st in the trees right. So I walk to the hole and sure enough its in there. Now a meaningless shot I pick it up and proceed to my 1st. Hit a poor chip. 2 putt bogey. All I got for the ball going in, was this story.

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    You still hit that great shot, regardless of what the end score on the hole was

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Still a good shot , but you should still frame the ball , maybe put an asterisk beside it
    I think this story could only be trumped if you got a hole in one with no witnesses, now that would suck.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Driver moneymaker is on a distinguished road
    Did something similar in a college tourney...

First ball landed on a flat sprinkler head in the fringe, shoots way over the green into a backyard which was clearly white staked OB.

3 from the tee & one hop in.

#nicepar.

Definition of golf.

Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    Something similar to... at Kingsway in the early 90's, # 4 ....a par 5 , I hit my drive OB , tee'd off at 3 and jarred my 2nd shot ..I mean my 4th shot in the hole...... by the way.. I never had a hole in one or an albatross, but I'll always remember that birdie.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Just so no one gives up hope....http://www.tampabay.com/news/tarpon-...-round/2274877. I've been fortunate to play with these gentlemen and they are still making it happen.

Thread Information