CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Question Check-Go and Balls

I have a Check-Go and use it regularly. I cannot get that nice solid line on the balls like on the commercial but I re-draw afterward on the staggered line it makes and it works just fine. I have been trying various balls to find the one that gives me optimal distance and feel around the greens for my very average swing and ball speed. Most are low compression. I noticed a very odd thing with Titleist Tour Distance SF balls. They could never spin and get completely balanced in the machine. I had a dozen and they all did the same thing. They were the only balls that did this out of the 4 other kinds I had to do (Top Flite Tour (multi-layer), Titech Low comp, Maxfli Noodle, Itech Lo). This makes me wonder about the quality of those balls if they can never spin balanced.

Maybe I was prejudiced but on the course they also did not impress me. The Top Flite and Titech are the best so far but the multi-layer Top Flite scuffs too easily, too bad. I have yet to try the Noodle. Maybe you Titleist men have had better luck with your balls and Check-Go.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    I have a Check-Go and use it regularly. ... I noticed a very odd thing with Titleist Tour Distance SF balls. They could never spin and get completely balanced in the machine. I had a dozen and they all did the same thing. ... This makes me wonder about the quality of those balls if they can never spin balanced.

You need to spin them at least 10 seconds before they optimize their centrifugat position.
    As for the marking, You need a very soft tip marker with tick ink to get a decent line. And it will not work well if the dimples are deep (like the Dunlop LoCo) or the InTech.

I have found after two years of use of the Check-n-Go that the balls that do not balance well tend to play better. One logical reason is that they do not show as much IMBALANCE as the others and therefore will not get into a stable centrifugal position.
    My stats are different, I get approximately 1 ball per dozen that does not balance, Most frequent ones are Titleist SoLo, Strata (red) and Precept Laddies.

I keep on using it... must be the psychological feeling of good alignment of my drives and putts... I suppose. I have so many reasons to send my ball all over the place, If this can remove at least one, better keep on doing it....

PS.... don't fall in the infomercial trap of the Golf Channel, you can get it in stores for 25 to 30% of the infomercial price.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Balls

Hey 3295, I did the procedure correctly and I am using the Check Go pen but maybe I will try a thicker marker. As for the spinning, I waited the proper amount of time. Only the Titleist did not spin but hey I will get over it and try them on the course again. Probably my weak mind getting all freaked out about the uneven spin! Overall I think those Ti Tech (lo compression) balls are very good and $13.00 for 18, pretty good deal. I have plenty of time to check out the balls, I have a dozen of each. Thanks for the input.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Question

I don’t have a Check-Go but my logic tells me that a ball that does not balance in it is a perfectly balanced ball.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Huh???
    Lefty Lucas

If you put a new ball in, spin it and mark a line. Take the ball out, put it back in and spin it again. If the line comes back to it’s original spot it’s not a balanced ball. If the line doesn’t come back to it’s original spot that ball is balanced thus it does not matter where you hit it.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Exactly. A perfect ball will find a different, entirely random line each time you spin it.

I use a very fine marker to mark the line while spinning, then use my "normal" ball marking pen to make the line visible

p.s. I use the Titleist PRO V1. I find that if I let it spin a little longer it will settle down enough to be marked. The WORSE a ball is, the faster it settles.
    Last edited by oldmaninblack; 05-25-2005 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by oldmaninblack
    Exactly. A perfect ball will find a different, entirely random line each time you spin it.

I use a very fine marker to mark the line while spinning, then use my "normal" ball marking pen to make the line visible

p.s. I use the Titleist PRO V1. I find that if I let it spin a little longer it will settle down enough to be marked. The WORSE a ball is, the faster it settles.
    I see your point now, took me a little longer cause I am dense. Dont mind my ignorance but if a perfect ball will find a different random line each time then why bother marking it in the first place? Is it just to help us line up a putt? We should simply buy the $6.00 marking pen and tracer and leave it at that.
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    I see your point now, took me a little longer cause I am dense. Dont mind my ignorance but if a perfect ball will find a different random line each time then why bother marking it in the first place? Is it just to help us line up a putt? We should simply buy the $6.00 marking pen and tracer and leave it at that.

The fact is that most balls are not perfectly balanced. Check-go is there to help you take advantage of the heaviest spot on the ball. As you already know, you can use that line to align your ball to your target.

I mark a line manually on my ball to help my alignment when putting.

A perfectly balanced ball will never come back to it’s original line.

Hey guys, here is an idea, lets make a perfectly balanced ball!!
    Lefty Lucas

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Too late. The Wilson TRUE was purported to be a perfectly balanced ball. Do they still sell them?
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    Too late. The Wilson TRUE was purported to be a perfectly balanced ball. Do they still sell them?
    Nope ..... Most of them failed the check-Go test ???
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

9 Iron r2g2 is on a distinguished road
    I fell for the "TRUE" hype a few years ago. Was not having very good success with them off of any club except my putter. So, whatever I have left, I keep them now just for on the green.
    [COLOR=Blue]Rob [/COLOR]

review of balanced balls

I saw this on the net. It is a review of using balls that have been spun to find their optimal balance point. It seems there are quite a few advantages all around to using a balance device like check-go.

http://www.golfclubreview.com/spin_balanced_summary.htm
    Lefty Lucas

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I use the check'go as well,never had a problem.

However,finding a marker to fit in that little hole has proven to be annoying!
    Reg. sharpies wont fit.
    Anyone know of a brand of marker that works?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

4 Iron jens is on a distinguished road jens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    I use the check'go as well,never had a problem.

However,finding a marker to fit in that little hole has proven to be annoying!
    Reg. sharpies wont fit.
    Try the STAEDTLER Lumicolor line.

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar

Does the Check-Go Save Strokes?

What do the members on the forum think, does the product save you any strokes in a round?

Personally I consider myself an inconsistent putter and it's one area that I'm trying to focus on this year to get my scores from the 90's to the 80's. My chipping from around the green usually saves me as I more often than not get it to within 3-5 feet.

The problem is when I hit the green and have anywhere from a 5 - 20 foot putt. I do hit the occassional 20+ foot putt and am working hard on my getting my speed right to give myself a chance at more 2 putts if I'm outside 20 feet.

Will the Check-go help me from 5 - 20 feet? What are your thoughts?

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Reg. sharpies wont fit.
    Why does it have to go in the hole? Even if you use the included marker, you can put a mark that's a couple of millimeters higher or lower. Doesn't make any difference. Try the mini-sharpie. If that's not good enough, just drill out the hole to the size of marker you want to use.

I use various markers.. I don't care if there's a hole or not. I just mark where my eye tells me the equator appears to be. I find the hole makes me miss it most of the time anyway.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglegrip
    What do the members on the forum think, does the product save you any strokes in a round?

Will the Check-go help me from 5 - 20 feet? What are your thoughts?
    I think it helps. If nothing else you can see if the ball is rolling well, which tells you something about how good your stroke was.

I line the ball up using the line from behind. Then while standing over the ball I line up the putter with the line on the ball. Then I can forget the line and concentrate on the distance, which is most important anyway.

Thread Information