CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    2 Iron Hooterguy is on a distinguished road

Reshafting Ping Eye 2 BeCu

Hi all

Call me sacreligious, but I am considering reshafting a set of copper Ping Eye 2's with something modern and graphite. I have tried removing the head off the 7 iron but it is being very possessive. Perhaps the golf gods are warning me to leave well enough alone, but if anyone has experience pulling shafts in the BeCu's I'd appreciate hearing from you.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Hooterguy; 05-22-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Usually Ping heads are harder to pull. Don't know if it's the glue they use or the material it is made of but you'll need to heat it longer.
    What are you using as a heat source?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Usually Ping heads are harder to pull. Don't know if it's the glue they use or the material it is made of but you'll need to heat it longer.
    What are you using as a heat source?
    It is the epoxy. It's has a much higher breakdown temperature than what is normally seen/used by others.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Thanks. I've always "made do" with a heat gun, but I'm thinking that a propane torch is the answer here? I am aware of the potential health issues with beryllium copper but is there anything I should be aware of when heating these up?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Butane torch will do
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    I use propane on steel shafts and butane on graphite. Butane is more expensive but has a lower flame temperature so it provides a better safety margin not to over cook the resins in graphite shafts.

The health concern with BeCu heads is from grinding and then inhaling the particulate that is carconegenic. Heating or bending does not release the small particles and means that it is as safe to do those operations as with any other material. But BeCu is very stiff and brittle so there is a much higher risk to snap the hosel when bending. Those are the reasons why Ping no longer work on those clubs.

Thanks gentlemen, very much appreciated. I do know about the BeCu issues with grinding and bending. There are some alarmists out there who think that even a sideways glance at the copper Pings can lead to cancer or even dysentery, but won't be doing any loft/lie adjustments, re-boring the hosel or (intentionally) chewing on them. I guess what I was looking for is if I can potentially turn them into Art Deco hood ornaments by over-heating, or something along that line. Murphy's Law rules my life so I want to try to take Mr. Murphy out of the equation.

Lob Wedge alsclub is on a distinguished road
    If you still have questions feel free to call me at 613-860-4653. I have lots of experience with pulling these heads.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by alsclub View Post
    If you still have questions feel free to call me at 613-860-4653. I have lots of experience with pulling these heads.
    Coming out of retirement Al ?

Quote Originally Posted by alsclub View Post
    Hi Al,
    Took a while to reply, but many thanks for the offer. I managed to get everything pulled without incident using propane. A bit of an audible "pop", then the wafting smell of a Grateful Dead concert and off with the head.
    The BeCu's have been reshafted not with graphite but with C-Tapers. Got fit, and it came down to Kuro Kages with C-Tapers a close second. However the great feel of the KBS shafts really won me over and it seemed a bit of a shame to put black & silver-painted graphite shafts into those beautiful copper heads. The debut round at a very windy Stonebridge was quite a revelation.
    Thanks for your input, guys.
    Colin

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooterguy View Post
    The debut round at a very windy Stonebridge was quite a revelation
    That's a story that needs telling...

Well, I know you've all heard this before, but without a doubt this was the best iron head/shaft combination that I've ever hit. Great piercing trajectory (especially in Monday's gale-force winds) amazing feel, and I was very comfy over the ball. Maybe it's the offset, maybe playing a round with only 90 minutes of sleep the night before (migraines, guys, migraines!) but I was a happy man, not least because the stupid migraines were over and I was on the golf course.

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Nice...I hope to find such a combo one day as well. Lord knows I've been tryin...but starting with a proper fitting FIRST is probably the thing I keep forgetting to do.

Thread Information