100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road

Renfrew conditions

Played Renfrew today and conditions were absolutely great. Mid summer conditions. Fairways were lush with vitually no winter damage. Only a few bad patches seen anywhere. Greens were in great shape but even a high wedge shot with a good spin ball wouldn't hold. They putted really smooth. A real steal for $25 spring rates during the week.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower
    Played Renfrew today and conditions were absolutely great. Mid summer conditions. Fairways were lush with vitually no winter damage. Only a few bad patches seen anywhere. Greens were in great shape but even a high wedge shot with a good spin ball wouldn't hold. They putted really smooth. A real steal for $25 spring rates during the week.
    I've played Renfrew twice this year, including this past Sunday, and I have to say - those greens need some work. Is there a reason for them to be so hard? I hit the 11th green with a well-hit 9 iron about ten feet on. It ended up about 5 feet short of going off the back of the green.

How does one hold the greens? Hitting 15 yards short and hoping it bounces on? That's not right - maybe in the middle of a drought in the summer, but... it's the one thing that prevents me from considering Renfrew a favourite course to play. I don't seem to have the same "problem" at most other courses...

Mike

BlackdoG
    Quote Originally Posted by mmason31
    I've played Renfrew twice this year, including this past Sunday, and I have to say - those greens need some work. Is there a reason for them to be so hard? I hit the 11th green with a well-hit 9 iron about ten feet on. It ended up about 5 feet short of going off the back of the green.
    I am very surprised to hear this opinion. I was there last week and the greens were perfect. The nice thing about Renfrew is that not only are the greens in very good condition (no brown spots whatsoever and no divot marks), but they are consistent throughout the course (speed as well as cut). I have been there 4 times this year and I think that they have some of the best conditions around .

I was using callaway tour balls (black) that really help stop the ball on the green. You might want to consider switching to a higher spin ball if you need a bit of extra grab.

The softest greens that I have been on this year are at Cartier. Renfrew usually does not get too much rain due to their location as the weather systems generally split along the rivers just before the course. Often its raining in downtown Renfrew but dry at the course.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    and no divot marks
    I should hope not!!!!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I was using through my round two balls that stop well on most greens (ProV1 and Precept Utri Tour) and neither one would stop. I think that it may have to do with a couple of things. First the grass in the fairways is very lush and not cut tight so getting the good spin on the ball is more difficult and the greens are fairly new and may be hard because of the way they were built. Even my short chip shots that with the Utri always spin just kept rolling.
    Despite the hard greens I'd go back up there any time. Just need some adjustments around the greens.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    The greens at Renfrew, while immaculate, are hard. They always are. I'm a high ball, high spin hitter and i can rarely back a ball up at the frew.

mmason31, your shot suprises me though. The only thing I can thing of is that you landed on the downslope of the slight hump thats on the front of the green and just received an unfavourable bounce forward.

You have to admit though, for $25 you are not going to get a better deal anywhere right now. The course is absolutly beautiful.

Cheers lads,

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I played last night and its only getting better. I've had no problem holding the greens if I happen to hit them from 200yrds in, and I'm not a back-it-up player.

I hit #11 with an 8 iron and only got 10 feet of forward roll.

Thread Information