100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road

condition of greens

I don't mind a slightly ragged fairway, but I can't stand poor greens. So far from what I've seen and played, these courses have good to fair green conditions:

Vieux Moulins
    Loch March
    Eagle Creek
    Emerald Link

Any others? Anyone play Packenham?

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    I don't mind a slightly ragged fairway, but I can't stand poor greens. So far from what I've seen and played, these courses have good to fair green conditions:

Vieux Moulins
    Loch March
    Eagle Creek
    Emerald Link

Any others? Anyone play Packenham?
    Le Sorcier, The Meadows, Dragonfly
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Gap Wedge gronker is on a distinguished road
    Although I played it a week ago, I would not say that Emerald Links has fair greens. The South is in great condition, but the east and west certainly leave alot to be desired. Not sure what happened there, but it looks like a while before those greens are back to the condition we all know and love at EL...

gronker

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    fyi today manderley closed their north 9 to airate the greens .... so they won't be on this list

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Hmmm Sorcier is good, New 9s at EL and Metcalfe are good. Older greens are hurting. I am seeng a pattern.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Mother Nature is to blame for the conditions. Remember the early thaw and then the cold snap right after? Any courses that either didn't cover their greens, uncovered them too early, or have slow drainage we're in trouble right off the bat. I was talking to the guys at Loch March, who didn't uncover their greens till early april (now you know why they're the last course to open in the spring), and they said that the re-freeze played havoc with the fragile root systems of the short grasses (aka "winter kill").
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Putter haymaker11 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Mother Nature is to blame for the conditions. Remember the early thaw and then the cold snap right after? Any courses that either didn't cover their greens, uncovered them too early, or have slow drainage we're in trouble right off the bat. I was talking to the guys at Loch March, who didn't uncover their greens till early april (now you know why they're the last course to open in the spring), and they said that the re-freeze played havoc with the fragile root systems of the short grasses (aka "winter kill").
    FYI, the Loch does not cover their greens. I know one guy on the crew there quite well.

And I heard Eagle Creek's got trouble with some greens, and their #3 is done like dinner.

Have pity for those greenskeepers who have trouble this spring. lots of courses are in the same boat.

2Iron

Thumbs up Oaks Of Cobden

Played the Oaks of Cobden on Monday morning with 9:30 tee time, and it started out with a fine mist in the air, till the second hole and it never rained all the rest of the round.Greens, fairways are in great shape, the best conditions I have played this year anywhere.
    Manderley was the best before I played Oaks. Fairways are still in rough shape with some greens still patches here and there.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haymaker11
    FYI, the Loch does not cover their greens. I know one guy on the crew there quite well.

And I heard Eagle Creek's got trouble with some greens, and their #3 is done like dinner.

Have pity for those greenskeepers who have trouble this spring. lots of courses are in the same boat.
    Interesting. I got the impression that they did cover them. Oh well, either way Sid is a master.

It's odd that #3 at EC would get hit hard like that...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Dragonfly - A+
    Cloverdale - C+
    Canadian - B-

For anyone into putting, take the trip to Renfrew...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

6 Iron Rustydog is on a distinguished road

Condition of Greens

Played Chateau Cartier today (5th time this year) and the greens are the best of any course we have played so far this year. Not only the greens, but the fairways too. Great shape.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Raceview (little 9 hole track beside Falcon Ridge) has the best greens I've seen this year. By far. Midseason form, and this was at the end of April.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Anyone play Packenham yet?

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Hmmm Sorcier is good, New 9s at EL and Metcalfe are good. Older greens are hurting. I am seeng a pattern.
    I was just about to bring up that point. I too have noticed that newer greens were in better shape. Does that have anything to do with it? Also, I THOUGHT I once heard that greens have a lifespan (15-20 years) and then they have to redone? Is this true?
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Hautes Plaines lost 11 greens this year. ClubLink’s Toronto team blamed it on three things:

1- The abundant rain during the New Year holidays and the freezing temperatures that followed it.
    2- The air holes were too small and done too early.
    3- And the grass was too short.

It’s been two years in a row that the spring conditions are bad in the region.

I played at Napierville, 20 minutes from MTL and the conditions where also brutal.

PS: Bent grass greens are usually never covered during wintertime.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

2 Iron guyfrompei is on a distinguished road guyfrompei's Avatar
    Yeah, Predator lost 7 greens this year. They completey resoded all 7 of them at a cost of $30,000 each. Kudos to the people at Greyhawk for such a quick ratification of the problem. They are coming along really nicely as well. It won't be long before they are back to normal. Greens on Talon are almost perfect.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    Raceview (little 9 hole track beside Falcon Ridge) has the best greens I've seen this year. By far. Midseason form, and this was at the end of April.
    Actually, I had forgotten about Raceview. And you are correct, their greens were in great shape from the day they opened.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Sand Wedge KaBoom is on a distinguished road KaBoom's Avatar
    Played Pakenham a couple of weeks ago and it was badly hit as well with winter kill... Really disappointing, since they had some of the better greens last year... I am sure they will come around though as the greenskeeper there knows what he is doing...

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    I am playing Manderly Thursday and Hammond Friday. Any idea what I can expect?

Thanks

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I think not too long ago, maybe last week, people were saying that Hammond was not in good shape at all. Whether anything has changed I couldn't tell you. As for Manderly, haven't played there yet.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Meadows and Casselview greens are in terrific shape IMO.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GJohnston69
    I think not too long ago, maybe last week, people were saying that Hammond was not in good shape at all. Whether anything has changed I couldn't tell you. As for Manderly, haven't played there yet.
    So far this year, the best by far have been Stonebridge. Les Vieux Moulins also have nice greens.

3 Iron ros_bif is on a distinguished road ros_bif's Avatar
    Manderley's south greens are recovering nicely from the punching...however central is a little behind, and north is pretty much closed (with the exception of today's chez tourney)

If the central greens end up as nice as south's are right now then i'd rank them an A

also, just played sorcier, the greens look beautiful but man are they slow...they were really crawling.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Played Cataraqui in Kingston Saturday and there greesn are incredible.....

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron
    Played Cataraqui in Kingston Saturday and there greesn are incredible.....
    The greens better be incredible!! For the price those members pay I would not expect anything less then the best!
    Denny

6 Iron golfngord is on a distinguished road
    Greens at the Cat were no better than OK,not even close to their standards,last year in the Feild day they much better.
    The best greens in the area are at Loyalist but I doubt that anyone can enjoy then as T-times are imposible.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Chateau Cartier's greens were pretty good and fairly quick yesterday. A bunch of us were playing and the greens were characterized by more than a few as being tough but in great shape...

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Casselview's greens are in mid-season form.
    Nice shorter tracks, but be prepared to putt well.
    For it's value, greens are in same league as Stonebridge IMO.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Considering the spring we have had Cataraqui's greens are great... Alos Morrisburg has fantastic greens

Andru
    played Marshes this morning and I have to say the greens are rolling up to standard now. Summer conditions.

Cheers

Thread Information