CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar

Best Ball for older high-handicapper?

Any recommendations for best Golf Ball to use for an older high-handicapper with a swing speed between 85 - 95?

Sand Wedge double_bogey is on a distinguished road double_bogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boylebj View Post
    Any recommendations for best Golf Ball to use for an older high-handicapper with a swing speed between 85 - 95?
    Any low compression ball (i.e., Titleist DT TruSoft, Callaway Supersoft, Wilson Staff Duo, etc.) should be good.

Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar
    I would suggest that you choose the cheapest ball you can find that feels good to you off your clubs and putter.
    The money you save could be put toward lessons. If you save $10 a box, you can get a lesson every 5 boxes.
    The Nike PD series are not horrible balls, I have played the PD Soft and it is a nice ball if you end up liking the feel. There are Wilson balls, the 50 Elite and the Duo are ok balls in this class. Also the Srixon soft feels are a good ball under $30.
    If money is not an object, and you don't have a problem with a slice/hook then you could go to a urethane ball, but if you are a high handicap it probably won't help your game except for improved feel.
    Finally used balls can be good deals, I don't recommend refinished balls, but recycled balls are a good deal for a high handicapper. That way you can get a premium ball at 2 piece balls prices.
    This is only my opinion, see what else others recommend to get an overall idea of the best way to go.
    Goodl luck

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by double_bogey View Post
    Any low compression ball (i.e., Titleist DT TruSoft, Callaway Supersoft, Wilson Staff Duo, etc.) should be good.
    Compression???? No one talks compression any more....and most golf balls don't show you compression on the box any longer. I agree fully with Rusty. As a high handicapper, buy cheaper balls ( those he listed are decent mid-range) and with the money you save buy the lessons. Once you get more consistency in your swing, you will be able to properly assess which balls you prefer the feel of and thus hit better. As long as you are inconsistent in your swing, you will inconsistently hit the ball regardless of what ball you are using.
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Bogie tigger12 is on a distinguished road
    Here is a different view.
    Golf is a game of confidence. The only thing you use every shot is your ball.
    I would suggest buying sleeves of 3 of your top few choices.
    Maybe an NXT or Srixon soft feel or a WILSON Duo or go crazy and buy pro v1s or Bridgestone bb330 Rex or callaway chrome.
    Have some fun with the experiment.
    My list of suggestions is just that, suggestions. If you're a Nike guy try Nike if you like Volvik or Top Flight or...? Try it.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Wilson 50. $28 for 24 @ Golf Town. Solid ball and all you will need.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    Wilson 50 sounds interesting. Looks like alot of good reviews for Wilson balls (duo, 50, etc)
    Anyone ever played a Top Flite Gamer or Gamer soft?
    All of these balls are inexpensive.

Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar
    Top Flite Gamer is a good ball and has a nice feel off of the putter. I bought a bunch used about 3 seasons ago and used them for the summer. I have not played the S version, but from the reviews lots of people like them. One post I read said that they were discontinuing the S version but there is nothing confirming that.
    It would certainly be a good ball to try.
    Have a look at
    http://www.golfballplanet.com/
    They are in Vancouver and sell used balls. Lots to choose from.
    Good luck

Sand Wedge double_bogey is on a distinguished road double_bogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Compression???? No one talks compression any more....and most golf balls don't show you compression on the box any longer. I agree fully with Rusty. As a high handicapper, buy cheaper balls ( those he listed are decent mid-range) and with the money you save buy the lessons. Once you get more consistency in your swing, you will be able to properly assess which balls you prefer the feel of and thus hit better. As long as you are inconsistent in your swing, you will inconsistently hit the ball regardless of what ball you are using.
    @boylebj, you might find this link (http://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tips...hart-and-rank/) potentially useful. Copied and paste directly from link:

Which Compression is Right for You?
    Should you play a high-compression ball (rated 90-plus), a mid-compression ball (66 – 89) or a low-compression ball (65 or less)? That depends on your performance preferences. But let’s assume that, like most amateurs, driving distance is a key concern.
    If you swing the driver at 105 mph or faster: You’ll generate good distance from any ball. While you may get a few extra yards from a mid- or low-compression model, you could also hit it too high with excess spin, resulting in a lack of control. Your best bet – a high-compression tour or premium model.
    If you swing between 85 – 104 mph: On the higher end of this range (95 – 104 mph), a low-compression ball could create control issues. Your best bet likely lies among the mid-compression models. On the lower end (85 – 94 mph), control should be less of an issue if you pick a low-compression ball. Still, a mid-compression model could be a better fit.
    If you swing slower than 85 mph: Definitely try a few low-compression golf balls. Compare them against each other, and against some mid-compression varieties. In this swing speed range, control isn’t a huge issue – but every yard matters. There are plenty of distance golf balls that could serve your needs well.
    To be sure, compression isn’t the only factor affecting a golf ball’s length. Its core, cover and mantle materials have an impact, as do dimple shapes and patterns. And, just because you hit Ball A farther than Ball B doesn’t necessarily make A your best bet. You may prefer the flight and spin characteristics of B, or simply like the way it feels coming off the club.
    In other words, compression isn’t the be-all, end-all of golf ball fitting. But it is a variable you should take into account.

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Callaway Chrome Soft - somehow they engineered a low compression ball that goes far yet spins and stops nicely. And they're a bit cheaper than other AAA balls out there. I just ordered two dozen "Near Mint" used balls from golfballplanet - first time buying from them so fingers crossed they play as well as new ones.

2 Iron Hooterguy is on a distinguished road
    I am by no means an expert here, but I do have fun "experimenting." That being said, I am (currently) getting good results with the Callaway Supersoft. It seems to really launch off the club face and fly straight. I also like the feel around and on the green. This is all subjective and personal preference, but they are also reasonably inexpensive and might be worth trying a sleeve.

2 Iron luigicactus is on a distinguished road
    Please let us know how they turn out. Almost did the same, but will wait after I quick visit to the local guy selling balls from the hood of his car near Hautes-Plaines (most balls are found in the Hautes-Plaines (aka The Dome) woods.

Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    Callaway Chrome Soft - somehow they engineered a low compression ball that goes far yet spins and stops nicely. And they're a bit cheaper than other AAA balls out there. I just ordered two dozen "Near Mint" used balls from golfballplanet - first time buying from them so fingers crossed they play as well as new ones.

Thread Information