CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy golfun is on a distinguished road

GPS inside Golf Balls New Jack Nicklaus Simulator Coming!?

**Perfect Golf is now renamed Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf. They will be using Hollow Metal Cored(interesting!) golf balls to house the Electronics, it will protect them.

The good stuff: "But the video game is just the beginning of Perfect Golf's ambitious strategy, which will play out publicly in the next year, Samuels said. Using the virtual reality assets acquired by software company Perfect Parallel in December, the company is developing a technology and GPS sensor system that can be placed inside of a golf ball.
    The technology will allow for real-time tracking of the ball and analysis of its flight path, and also record entire games which can then be replayed on the Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf video game, Samuels said.
    Computerized golf balls have been tried in the past but could not withstand the constant pounding, Samuels said. The key to Perfect Golf's innovation is another Buffalo-based golf company, OnCore, which has a hollow metal core golf ball that is listed as a conforming piece of equipment by the United States Golf Association.
    That hollow core can host and protect a computer chip, Samuel said.
    "On the data analytics side it gets very interesting because I have the opportunity to play myself, for training purposes, time and again because I have comparative data every time I play a particular hole or course," Samuels said."

This is REALLY interesting!! What could come of it?

Read here: http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...ideo-game.html

Golf Balls: http://www.oncoregolf.com

Perfect Golf is now Jack Nicklaus Perfect Golf: http://steamcommunity.com/app/288140#scrollTop=0

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    I thought of this approach for simulators a few years back...some Bluetooth-based technology inside the golf ball. I always assumed the smash of a driver would destroy anything inside though...pretty interesting if there's a way to actually pull it off. No more trying to detect where the ball goes and how it spins if there's something that can truly transmit the data on it.

Gap Wedge m3w is on a distinguished road
    It sounds like they're intending it to be more for tracking your shots while you're playing IRL on a course. Then watching the round virtually later. The write up sounded like it was only tracking the GPS position of the ball, not all the metrics required for simulation.

"The technology will allow for real-time tracking of the ball and analysis of its flight path"

This is where the simulator comes.

BTW- If these golf balls cost $12-$20 a piece not many will buy them if that's all it does. Simulator side would be cheap, but could you imagine losing one?

Gap Wedge m3w is on a distinguished road
    Hate to burst your bubble, but... That just means real-time tracking of where the ball physically goes, and the ability to analyse the actual flight path after your round. It's not talking about the ability to simulate the ball path based only on the initial launch characteristics.

It depends on what electronics they put in there. Maybe they will have different versions. And obviously it couldn't be run by GPS to track it short distances and get all the data. Still if it can detect accurately short hooks/slices some better tech must be inside.
    Last edited by golfun; 05-08-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Thread Information