100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter rudler is on a distinguished road

Please critique my swing

The links are rear view and side view of my golf swing. Would appreciate input. When responding, please include your handicap, years of playing experience and whether you're a teaching pro or not.

www.golflinks.com/swingvideo/gregswing2.MPG
    www.golflinks.com/swingvideo/gregswing3.MPG

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Years playing - 44
    Handicap - 1 (A low handiap is NOT a prerequisite for having some knowledge of a sound golf swing)

Down the line view: From here your setup appears OK. You get the club into an almost perfect position at the top indicated by: 1. Your left arm coinciding with your shoulder plane(single plane swing) and 2. Your right upperam being parallel to the plane of your back.

As you start down your hands move BACK(parallel to the target line) first, instead of out. Don't ever change this. From this point I see problems developing. When you hands are waist high in the downswing, the club shaft is pointing over your right shoulder, indicating that after a suberb start down, your shoulders are rotating too laterally and not enough "up and down." Through impact you appear to be a little outside although the position was fuzzy on my computer.

Front View: This view shows the weakness in your swing and it is because of the setup. As you waggle the club, you get more and more weight on your left foot. As you swing back, instead of a weight transfer to your right foot occurring, your weight stays on your forward foot, AND your right hip seems to slide to the right. Yours is a classic REVERSE PIVOT backswing.

As you start down you seem to fall back towards the right side a little, and the arms come out a little. While blurry, it appears that you have lost most of the leverage angle between your left arm and the club shaft by the time your hands get to being just past hip high and that costs you both distance and accuracy. Now, when swinging this way, many golfers learn to compensate for being in an unbalanced position, so you may have learned to hit some good shots from this position, however, I would guess that you have a problem with consistency.

Suggestions:
    1. Widen you stance a little. Taller players need a more stable base.
    2. Feel like you have 60% of your weight on your right foot at address. (Now you have about 75% on your left foot). From the front view the angle of your spine should be tilted to the right. This will also lower your right shoulder which is now too high.
    3. Don't change the backswing feeling or the start down.
    4. Place a quarter about 12" back and about 3" to 4" inside the target line. Address an imaginary ball(where it would normally be placed) but look at the quarter. As you swing down just try to swing the club head over the quarter as you come through. This will get your hands/arms dropping BACK, DOWN and OUT, in that sequence, so that the club head will come into the ball from the INSIDE, which is essential for straight hitting. Repeat this until you get the hang of it and then address a real ball, but keep swinging over the quarter which you should be able to see in your periferal vision. This may help lower the angle of the shaft to something closer to the golfer whose picture is attached. Notice how his club shaft coincides with his right forearm.

Putter rudler is on a distinguished road
    Great observations. Thanks for taking the time to observe and even give drills. Though I don't reverse pivot (could be from incorrect camera angle) I will implement changes and post a new, higher quality video in coming days.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rudler
    Great observations. Though I don't reverse pivot (could be from incorrect camera angle) .
    Play the tape of your swing to the top of the backswing and pause it.

Draw lines from your crotch to you nose, from your right shoe to your your right shoulder, from your left knee to the outside of you left shoulder. Which way are the lines inclined? If they are angled to the left, you are NOT reverse pivoting. If they are vertical or angled to the right(towards target) you ARE reverse pivoting.

Camera angle?? Perhaps. Reality?? Do the above when the camera is exactly face on and then make your own observation.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rudler
    The links are rear view and side view of my golf swing. Would appreciate input. When responding, please include your handicap, years of playing experience and whether you're a teaching pro or not.

www.golflinks.com/swingvideo/gregswing2.MPG
    www.golflinks.com/swingvideo/gregswing3.MPG
    First of all the house that your aiming at doesn't have enough windows . As for your swing although I wasn't able to see your swing in slow motion and pick apart details that would be helpful in slow motion I noticed a few things watching it at normal speed. The first thing I noticed was the rhythym of your swing, it's fast. Now there are many great players like Nick Price for example who have a fast swing, but try slowing it down a little while staying in rhythym. Secondly, from the front angle I noticed your ball position. Ball position can make you or break you. Your ball position is too much off your left foot for the club you were using and to compensate for this ball position your arms at address aren't hanging down naturally in front of you. Finally, on your backswing your right hip slides just a little bit and therefore it transfers your weight onto the outside of your right foot, and then naturally for the sliding of the right hip you sway a little bit to your left on the downswing getting your body ahead of the ball at impact, when what you really want and I'm sure you know this is to have everything come together in sync at the point of impact. Those are just a few of my observations.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I have some swing video from my trip. Anyway of posting it?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You have to host it somewhere else and provide a link. Sorry.

Thread Information