+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge Tighthead is on a distinguished road

Moved to Stittsville - need a club

New to the area. Likely won't join this summer but thinking of 2017. I'm about a 6 handicap.

Things I like in a club:

Active games Sat and/or Sunday mornings where a large group of members shows up and has a game - "dogfight" at some clubs

Fast play culture, preferably with lots of walkers

Not overcrowded - like to slip out evenings with kids now and then.

Course

Decent practice range

Firm and fast in summer

Don't care about clubhouse facilities beyond cold beer and maybe a decent burger, sandwich or breakfast.

Prefer full private but that is a short list.

Played Kanata. Didn't wow me but location is good.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    What's your budget?

How far are you willing to travel?

How important is the conditioning of the course?

How do you feel about mosquitoes?
    Twitter: @mfarquharson73

Budget isn't a big deal. Not sure that Royal or Hunt make sense.

Conditioning is not critical. I like good greens and I don't like courses heavily watered in summer. I would say that generally the architecture is more important than the conditions. I don't get dazzled by white sand.

Likely willing to travel 30 min. This is here I think Hunt might be too far. I feel like RV is closer. Despite that, closer is always better.

I'm open to hearing about the wee beasties. Not something I had to worry about in my old life.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Eagle Creek is close by, and a more interesting layout than Kanata.

Well... I'm a member at Rideauview and the course is pretty much always in great shape. However, part of the reason for the good conditions is the heavy watering that goes on. It's pretty common to get little or no roll off the tee... so-called 'Rideauview roll'.

The reason I asked about mosquitoes is Loch March. I think a membership there is something like $2400 which might be the best bang for the buck in Ottawa. It's a great course and is generally in pretty good shape. It can be a little wet I guess but I never got the impression they over-watered. For me, there are two big downsides to Loch March: 1) Mosquitoes can be TERRIBLE in the late afternoon / evening. 2) It's HARD. Not sure my ego could take playing most of my rounds there. On the upside though, if you can play well there... you can play well ANYWHERE.

Hard courses get boring. I like a challenge, but they can easily turn into a slog. Fun doesn't mean easy, but I don't like penal.

Thanks for the info on mosquitoes. I have heard they can be bad some places.

RV sounds great, but my old course overwatered in the summer and I think it is a poor brand of conditioning. Green can look nice but firm plays better, in my opinion.

If all this makes me sound like a huge PITA don't worry, seeing it in black and white is making me think the same thing ...

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    Equinelle is about 30 mins from Stittsville and is always in great shape with great greens
    I like to call it a power fade

Quote Originally Posted by Leftymoose View Post
    Equinelle is about 30 mins from Stittsville and is always in great shape with great greens
    Also meets the "doesn't over-water" requirement. I've always found that the ball rolls out there... even after rain.

Fun course to play too. It's got some very challenging holes but you can basically grip it and rip it on every par 4/5.

Thanks for the input. I'll scout a few out this summer.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Greensmere

Try Greensmere out. It's 10 mins away and has two very different 18's that never get boring. Once you think you have the one figured out it blows you up!
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

6 Iron Ehmcee is on a distinguished road
    You should check out Glen Mar. It is on Fernbank road. 3-5 minutes from Stittsville. Lots of members with a fun Men's Night and other events. There is a regular game most weekend mornings too. Talk to Jason McGrath the pro. He can fill you in with all the details.

http://www.glenmar.ca

Lob Wedge Teeroy is on a distinguished road
    I'll throw in some opinions...

I live in Stittsville as well (right by Canadian Tire Centre). I've been a Clublink member in the past, and have played the mens night at Loch March. When at Clublink, I was at Eagle Creek. Gorgeous track, and can be as challenging as you want it to be depending on what tee block you hit from. If you're a 6, then it provides a great challenge, and there's nothing mickey mouse or unfair about the course. When I was there, there was a regular group of guys who got out for a Saturday morning Dog fight ;-). And it would be cheaper than Kanata. Kanata certainly has the strongest and largest membership if you're really into the social aspects of golf.

Loch March is a beautiful track as well, but as you probably know is public. However, I have never had an issue with getting a good tee time. On the Mosquitos...Two seasons ago, they were so bad you literally couldn't putt..but that was the worst I've ever seen golfing there over the last 15 years. Last season, I could count on one hand the number of times I even noticed the mosquitos. And at $2400 (including range), it certainly is the best deal you'll find anywhere. Greens are fantastic, true and fast.

Glen Mar is a "good" track and is much cheaper, but it is no Loch March.

Lot's of people like the Marshes as well, but it's upwards of 4K per year. Has probably the hardest par 5 in Eastern Ontario, maybe all of Ontario.

Just 2 cents from some guy. LOL

Consistently present bobbyc is on a distinguished road bobbyc's Avatar
    Just green fee it !! Join Golf Select or Executive Golf and play 100 courses rather than get bored at one course 100 times. Play from Smugglers Glen to The Falcon to WhiteTail and have fun and challenges.
    if i could only putt !!

6 Iron Particle 44 is on a distinguished road
    There are some good suggestions up here, I'll have to keep them in mind if I move closer to the city myself. Currently, I am a member in Perth and the conditions have been great there this year. I'm not sure if it plays soft when you're talking about roll from the driver because I hit mine so damn high it never rolls anywhere, but the greens roll very well. The membership prices are half of anything mentioned about, coming in at between 800-1300 depending on age.

Of the above courses mentioned, I think you would probably enjoy Greensmere very well, but I do not know much on the status of weekend member games, and it is a public course.

Thread Information