100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road

Spring Conditions 2016

Just went to Emerald Links Driving Range today and talk to players saying the course was dry overall with few wet spots. I am playing Manderley Sunday and would like to know what other courses are like condition wise this time of year.

Glad to kick off the season!
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar
    Played Nationview today, $15 twilight. My group looked to be the only one on the course this afternoon. Fairly wet conditions, but didn't find many trouble spots. Was my first time playing there. No power carts out yet, was a decent walk. Greens were okay considering this time of year.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Played 9 holes at Manderley last night was quite dry, couple spot here and there, greens a little long obviously but overall in decent shape. Played 18 at Equinelle this afternoon really dry, greens were rolling nice, course had a great winter

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Played Pineview and it is quite wet.

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    Played Nation. Very good condition. Wet in places. Still snow near woods. Greens great shape slow not cutting too short in case there is frost

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Played Metcalfe 18-hole course today. Dry overall - a few plugged balls but the only casual water on the course was from water hazards that were overflowing. Greens were a little slow and bumpy, but that is to be expected at this time of year. Pretty decent shape for April. A LOT of the ash trees have been removed, including the big ones on the 4th fairway, 6th fairway and the left side of the 18th tee box.

Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    anyone played Gatineau?

Eagle mizzyboy is on a distinguished road
    Played Manderley today (North/Central) and it was pleasantly dry; only 2 balls that plugged meaning wet spots were few and far between, in fact the cart paths were wetter than the course itself. The greens were slow as to be expected but not bumpy by any means, so playable enough. It felt like summer out there today with the sun beaming and the heat!
    Go Sens Go or No Sens No? The struggle of a Sens fan.

Gap Wedge Kosmo is on a distinguished road Kosmo's Avatar
    Played Equinelle Saturday and Sunday, in excellent shape. Overall very dry, no plugged balls. Greens were being cut and rolled, running a little slow.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Played Greensmere - Premiere yesterday and it was in great condition. Fairway on #4 was pretty wet, plugged there twice, from 2 tee and from 4 tee. Greens are in great shape with no winter kill that I recall.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Im a fixture here mathc38 is on a distinguished road mathc38's Avatar
    I played Gatineau Saturday...good shape overall...greens had no dead spots...just shaggy and bumpy...to be expected this time of year...much better than their opening day in 2015 ..

Consistently present bobbyc is on a distinguished road bobbyc's Avatar
    Played Gatineau on Friday and Marshes yesterday. Marshes fairways slightly better conditions than Gatineau. Greens slow as well but not as bumpy. With the option to walk the Marshes 18 this year it was a much slower round.
    if i could only putt !!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mathc38 View Post
    I played Gatineau Saturday...good shape overall...greens had no dead spots...just shaggy and bumpy...to be expected this time of year...much better than their opening day in 2015 ..
    Good to hear Mat. Want to get out this week for a round.

Ace DecoyOctopus is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
    With the option to walk the Marshes 18 this year it was a much slower round.
    I love the notion, but there are just some courses that aren't built for walking(speaking distance between holes)...that is one of them.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
    Played Gatineau on Friday and Marshes yesterday. Marshes fairways slightly better conditions than Gatineau. Greens slow as well but not as bumpy. With the option to walk the Marshes 18 this year it was a much slower round.
    You can walk 18 holes at the Marshes now? I hadn't heard that, man alive there are some tremendous walks between holes at that place, would be hard pressed to walk it under 4.5 with 4 guys.

Playing Winter Rules mr. chopper is on a distinguished road mr. chopper's Avatar

The Marshes

Played the Marshes yesterday. Greens were horrific, bunkers were brutal and of course there was the regular obstacle course of goose crap everywhere.

Save your money or take your spouse out for dinner instead!

mr. chopper

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    if you think the Marshes are bad, walk Greensmere Legacy
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Putter marcaroge is on a distinguished road
    Played kingsway and champlain during the weekend. Both were very wet. Champlain was wetter and their greens were in bad shape. kingsway the greens were a bit better but they played very slow. There was a ton of people at kingsway. At one point there were three groups waiting to play on hole #4. the speed of play is often very slow at kingsway so if you are in a hurry you probably should look elsewhere.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Yes, those courses and Chateau Cartier all have very poor drainage so are usually pretty wet well into spring. As for the pace of play, KW can be slow but as anywhere there are faster times to play. Champlain is Champlain.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Chopped it around Emerald Links (East-West) yesterday and conditions were pretty good given the time of year.

Greens were on the slow side, but not too bumpy and the fairways were dry for the most part.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    I played three rounds at the Canadian on the weekend... with the exception of a few wet bunkers, you couldn't ask for better early spring conditions, greens were fair to good, (they must have covered them over the winter) and most fairways were dry.

Gap Wedge justdoeit is on a distinguished road
    Played Gatineau first, really decent conditions. greens a little slow, but fine. Canadian after, great greens, much quicker than Gat. Nation was next, with the best greens of the 3, some snow in the shaded areas, but almost gone. Insanely slow pace tho, like 5+ hrs....no real complaints though, weather was perfect

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcaroge View Post
    Played kingsway and champlain during the weekend. Both were very wet. Champlain was wetter and their greens were in bad shape. kingsway the greens were a bit better but they played very slow. There was a ton of people at kingsway. At one point there were three groups waiting to play on hole #4. the speed of play is often very slow at kingsway so if you are in a hurry you probably should look elsewhere.
    Best to stay away from Kingsway and Champlain early in the season or after lots of rain. They dont drain well.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcArt View Post
    I played three rounds at the Canadian on the weekend... with the exception of a few wet bunkers, you couldn't ask for better early spring conditions, greens were fair to good, (they must have covered them over the winter) and most fairways were dry.
    I agree. Played it Sunday and was very impressed with the conditions overall and especially the greens.

Putter plg_cp is on a distinguished road
    Played Casselview on Sunday Apr 17th and I thought it was in great shape. The greens were punched several days ago but clearing up well and the greens don't appear to have been rolled but they weren't too bad. A couple of the holes had us teeing off just in front of the tee boxes but no major impact on play. Otherwise fairways, bunkers, etc were all quite good.
    Recommended.

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillslider View Post
    I agree. Played it Sunday and was very impressed with the conditions overall and especially the greens.
    Yes Sir. I was playing with two long-time members of the Canadian and they said they were quite sure the greens were covered. Even No. 14, which seems prone to patchiness in its condition, but that does not removed the rest of the greens from the general accolade the Canadian deserves. Other than the changes being made that have you routed past West No. 17 (which is being renovated), and using East No. 8, and some cart path changes that have dug up the right side of the fairway on No. 5.
    Last edited by MarcArt; 04-18-2016 at 07:02 PM.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Played Pine View today...really happy with the results of all the drainage work they did last year. The proof is in the pudding...this time last year I was ankle deep in water and mud. Today, only two balls plugged...and those two on the back which, if work goes as planned, will see drainage installed in the years to come. Kudos to the crew for getting her ready to go...looking forward to another great year!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Putter G30man is on a distinguished road
    Timber Run in Lanark was fantastic. Everything was dry with the exception of a few bunkers, fairways so dry that carts were allowed. Greens were in good shape.. A little slow but to be expected.

Im a fixture here mathc38 is on a distinguished road mathc38's Avatar
    Marcos, are you on round 20 for the year already?

3 Wood Shortswing is on a distinguished road
    Tecumseh is open since last week end. Course is very dry (except for #5 but no standing water) Greens are in good shape. Speed is on the slow side (normal for this time of the year) but very playable.

Greens will get faster in the next two weeks in preparation for our two men invitational (See Local tournament thread)

Thread Information