CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road

Golf after surgery

Well recovery sucks and I wish it went faster. I had open hernia repair for an inguinal hernia and although I had one before on the other side (Shouldice method), this time it seems to take much longer to recover. It's been almost 4 weeks and I don't think that I'm anywhere near being able to play. Anybody has had insight/experience? I'll try to find a place to go and chip/putt so at least I get some rust off.

Cheers and happy golf to all who are already on the links.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Bummer, but if your swing has any of the anger management challenges that mine has, you'll want to ease back into golf for sure. Hope you heal up fast!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Had same surgery about 3 years ago and took my time to get back to golf. Best advise i can give you is be patient. Listen to your doctor. I have a golf buddy who started playing after 4 weeks and had to be re-operated twice!! What i did is i tagged along with my wife when she played.Just hitting chip shots and putting around the greens was a lot of fun and after 3 months played my first game. Also, find something else to do in the meantime. I do a lot of fishing and am a musician in my spare time. Get outside and enjoy the sun and warm weather thats coming.Wishing you a good recovery and dont push it.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for saying what I didn't want to but needed to hear. It's my second such surgery; opposite sides, but this time seems worst. Chipping and putting is what I had in mind to stay connected. I just hope that mid-June comes up fast. I've been able to walk brisk walks and running slowly short distances.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nice_lag View Post
    Thanks for saying what I didn't want to but needed to hear. It's my second such surgery; opposite sides, but this time seems worst. Chipping and putting is what I had in mind to stay connected. I just hope that mid-June comes up fast. I've been able to walk brisk walks and running slowly short distances.
    I'm sure that things will work out for you. If you go to a range,bring your favourite wedge and nothing else, that way you wont be tempted to hit driver 3 wood etc... and hurt yourself. Its a lot of fun to practice chipping, lob shots etc..after all thats what we should be practicing the most to score. I was amazed at how good my short game was when i started playing again. Enjoy.

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    My buddy had the exact same thing happen as you. Did one side a few years ago and healed up quickly. Came back for the other side and he had a much harder time...he tried to push it back in the gym too quick and needed to be re-done again.

Best advice is to listen to your body. It will tell you when you are ready. In the meantime, hang out at the putting green.

Thread Information