CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Alabama is on a distinguished road

Skytrac vs ProTee

Decision Time: Skytrac Vs Protee. I see where Skytrac now has TGC. With each system now having access to TGC and the cost for each around $3K to $3500 it would appear that it comes down to accuracy, ease of use, data retrieval of review to help with improvement.

Does anyone have experience with BOTH of these systems?

If so, would you share your opinion on each with regard to accuracy, ease of use and data storage/retrieval?

Going to purchase one of these systems, just need to decide.

Thanks

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    Bubba22 has both. Send him a PM.

Thanks, I will try to do that.

Putter Hotabyss is on a distinguished road
    I'm interested in this as well. I've been doing research on both so I can get my setup ready. I can't answer much on ease of use or accuracy bc I've never used either, but one downside to Skytrak is you have to maintain a $99 yearly subscription to play courses. You also have a one time fee of close to $1000 to get the courses, or you can pay yearly instead. Did Bubba22 answer better than I could?

Hotabyss, Bubba22 did send me a private email. He said both are good units with Skytrac being easy to set up and but limited to either righty or lefty and $100 yearly fee. Protee being more difficult to set up but good for lefty and righty.

I have been researching and debating this to death. Personally, I am leaning toward the Protee but still have not made up my mind as of yet. The Protee seems to be a solid unit once it is set up and allows for left and right handed players. Does NOT, at this time have the ability to store data for reference (mostly to perhaps understand the difference in attempted swings, clubs, etc---great for analysis) That may be coming at some point.

The Skytrac is portable and maybe easier to resell if one wanted to do so. Has, from what I understand, the ability to store data in the cloud for the analysis I just indicated. HATE the $100 yearly cost.

One thing that REALLY concerns me about Skytrac is they do NOT have a PHONE or EMAIL for support communication. I wanted to ask some questions but NO WAY TO CONTACT THEM. I understand their live chat is basically useless. Also, what happens when something goes wrong and and the unit is out of warranty?

Hope this helps

Hotabyss, here are some more thoughts and info. Based on the Skytrac web site (when you click on the buy now button of the GAME IMPROVEMENT PACKAGE) at the very bottom there is a disclaimer (see below) that the "Bonus" is not supported on Windows PC. Apparently this is because of the software of WGT. So, if you planned to run the system on a Windows PC, the "bonus" is not available.

The Game Improvement Package offers everything in the Basic Package plus:

**The WGT features and challenges in this package are NOT compatible with PC Windows desktop. WGT is supported by iPad air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, iPad Mini 2 (with Retina Display), iPad Mini 3, and iPad Mini 4.here is what it says:

Now, Skytrac does have some nice features and being portable makes it attractive but I am REALLY not happy that they do NOT have a phone number you can call or an email that you can contact the with. I guess they have "live Chat" but I would like to get some email records on several questions that I had in my head.

On the Protee side, I was able to email the company, got a response (actually did a few emails with them) From what I have received it looks like the $3,000 system will pretty much do everything necessary. Here is a quote that I got back when I was asking about the additional features included in the $3,500 that includes the 2.0 software:

2.0 is an older type software. If you never seen it you will also not miss it.

I like the fact that there is NO yearly fee, contact methods, response to questions, personally do not see the need to have portability.

So, as I said before--leaning toward Protee.

Sand Wedge double_bogey is on a distinguished road double_bogey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    The Skytrac is portable and maybe easier to resell if one wanted to do so. Has, from what I understand, the ability to store data in the cloud for the analysis I just indicated. HATE the $100 yearly cost.

One thing that REALLY concerns me about Skytrac is they do NOT have a PHONE or EMAIL for support communication. I wanted to ask some questions but NO WAY TO CONTACT THEM. I understand their live chat is basically useless. Also, what happens when something goes wrong and and the unit is out of warranty?

Hope this helps
    I have the SkyTrak. I can say it's not a bad unit (fairly accurate, good price point and portable). But yes biggest negatives are yearly costs and zero support. Best support is from someone that works for them on a public forum but really can't understand why a company selling a $2k (not the most straightforward to use) product does not provide any contact number or email for support on their website? I mean you get many times better support from merchants selling $10 gadgets...

4 Iron psgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Hotabyss, here are some more thoughts and info. Based on the Skytrac web site (when you click on the buy now button of the GAME IMPROVEMENT PACKAGE) at the very bottom there is a disclaimer (see below) that the "Bonus" is not supported on Windows PC. Apparently this is because of the software of WGT. So, if you planned to run the system on a Windows PC, the "bonus" is not available.

The Game Improvement Package offers everything in the Basic Package plus:

**The WGT features and challenges in this package are NOT compatible with PC Windows desktop. WGT is supported by iPad air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, iPad Mini 2 (with Retina Display), iPad Mini 3, and iPad Mini 4.here is what it says:

Now, Skytrac does have some nice features and being portable makes it attractive but I am REALLY not happy that they do NOT have a phone number you can call or an email that you can contact the with. I guess they have "live Chat" but I would like to get some email records on several questions that I had in my head.

On the Protee side, I was able to email the company, got a response (actually did a few emails with them) From what I have received it looks like the $3,000 system will pretty much do everything necessary. Here is a quote that I got back when I was asking about the additional features included in the $3,500 that includes the 2.0 software:

2.0 is an older type software. If you never seen it you will also not miss it.

I like the fact that there is NO yearly fee, contact methods, response to questions, personally do not see the need to have portability.

So, as I said before--leaning toward Protee.
    Alabama, it sounds like to me one of your important criteria is Righty/Lefty? I'm a lefty and all my buddies are righty's. I have since sold my skytrak and bought a GC2 which you HAVE to move each time. When I owned my Sktyrak, playing lefty/righty was easy. I'm a six cap, so I set it up left handed and hit over top of it and it worked GREAT. The only time I moved it to the other side was on my driver (I can be aggressive at times).

That being said, I read ALOT before buying the skytrak initially and the protee sensor is good but there are issues with correct spin readings and setup can be a pain in the *.

If you can afford a GC2 it's the best Launch Monitor/Sim hardware under 10K - in my opinion. The next option is Skytrak and Perfect Golf.

For $2400 USD your up and running with full golf sim. I'm hoping PG comes out with an outright purchase for it's base software that can be used offline and also used without the purchase of the GIP for $99/year.

Ace goatbarn is on a distinguished road
    Just to clarify...there are no "spin readings" with Protee, spin is not measured.

It is estimated from other measured ball/club data.

Skytrak measures spin directly from captured images, similar to GC2.

Don't know your thoughts on spin measurement, but it's huge to me.

4 Iron psgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the clarification goatbarn, I always thought protee had camera's added that measured spin. Good info.

6 Iron psyflyjohn is on a distinguished road
    Any product as expensive as Skytrak that has no support system would be an automatic no sale in my book.

I am just about there as well. I find it incredible that with a price tag of $2K you can not even play golf with a PC. If you go to there site and click on the Game Improvement Package which gives you some capability as long as you PAY $100 per year there is a disclaimer (found when you click BUY NOW and scroll through the details) the disclaimer is toward the end of the details and after BONUS section. Here is the disclaimer:

**The WGT features and challenges in this package are NOT compatible with PC Windows desktop. WGT is supported by iPad air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro, iPad Mini 2 (with Retina Display), iPad Mini 3, and iPad Mini 4.

So for 2K plus (and a $100 yearly fee) you get BONUS STUFF that is worthless if you are using a windows based PC to run the thing. All while NOT having a phone or email to contact someone.

I have read some good things about Skytrac and it looks like it could be a good/fun unit to own but unless there is some sort of support mechanism in put in place I do not believe they will be getting my hard earned $$$$

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    Hardly anyone likes WGT and most consider it a very low end sim anyways. If you want true sim with PC for skytrak than you need either TGC which is available now or PG which is supposed to be released sometime "soon".

Putter GmanJeff is on a distinguished road GmanJeff's Avatar
    Support for ST is in fact available, but it is limited. The on-line chat is the first level. Escalation is available by telephone if required or even if just preferred; you're not obliged to use the on-line chat if you'd prefer to speak with someone. The on-line chat staff can give the support # to you. I believe the # may also be visible on their site during their office hours - it's not a 24/7 capability. I have used it twice when I had questions about the status of my order but have not needed it otherwise. Additionally, there is an active group of users on another forum who can be helpful, sometimes. By all accounts, Protee support is superior, but that's not to say that ST has none. After you get up and running with either system, with any luck you'll rarely actually need support anyway.

The annual fee is admittedly an irritant, but the purchase price for the device is low enough (in relative terms) that even paying the fee for several years may result in a lower total cost of ownership than that of some competing products, at which point anything purchased now may well have been superseded by newer technologies.

One feature of ST which may matter (or not) is ease of set-up and portability. It can readily be moved and placed back in service pretty much instantly.

Thread Information