+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Moving up to senior tees.

I know a lot of you still play tips and whites but i think this year i will be moving to the senior tips. I have never been a long hitter by no means and its just getting harder for me to reach par 4's in two. I just want to enjoy the game more.
    Re-joining Buckingham after 4 years and look forward to seeing all my old friends up there.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    I know a lot of you still play tips and whites but i think this year i will be moving to the senior tips. I have never been a long hitter by no means and its just getting harder for me to reach par 4's in two. I just want to enjoy the game more.
    Re-joining Buckingham after 4 years and look forward to seeing all my old friends up there.
    But are they looking forward to seeing you? Just kidding now.

We play golf for enjoyment and if playing a shorter course adds to that then moving up makes sense. I prefer playing a course at a length that, after a good drive, I hit most every club in the bag for the approach shot. On Greensmere Legacy, for example, when the course is wet, the whites satisfy that wish and when the course firms up, the blacks will do. I don't find much difference in scoring between 6000, 6400 and even 6800 yards back at the golds, but hitting all clubs versus mostly fairway woods or hybrids is a lot more enjoyable.

Hope both you and Denyse enjoy your season back at Buckingham GC. I have a lot of good memories from playing there occasionally over the last 50 years and if you run into players like George Lemay, Jean St. Pierre and Ed Lascelle, please say hello for me.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    But are they looking forward to seeing you? Just kidding now.

We play golf for enjoyment and if playing a shorter course adds to that then moving up makes sense. I prefer playing a course at a length that, after a good drive, I hit most every club in the bag for the approach shot. On Greensmere Legacy, for example, when the course is wet, the whites satisfy that wish and when the course firms up, the blacks will do. I don't find much difference in scoring between 6000, 6400 and even 6800 yards back at the golds, but hitting all clubs versus mostly fairway woods or hybrids is a lot more enjoyable.

Hope both you and Denyse enjoy your season back at Buckingham GC. I have a lot of good memories from playing there occasionally over the last 50 years and if you run into players like George Lemay, Jean St. Pierre and Ed Lascelle, please say hello for me.
    I have had the privilege of playing with these gentleman during the years Lyle. They also have fond memories of you when i mention your name. Moving up to senior tees was hard on my male ego but when you are going for the green with a hybrid 4 or 5 and at best a 5 iron, it wears me down and no fun.Will be going up to see you guys in Greensmere this year, promise.Now come on golf season!!!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Moving up is just a fact of life. My friend don't like it if I play a tee box ahead . . . their point is that I hit my driver close to theirs . . . maybe 10 to 20 yards behind (sometime). So if I move up, I will be even or ahead of them. My point . . . from the same place on the second shot I am playing 4 iron or hybrid and they are hitting their 8 iron . . . not really fair.

So move up and enjoy the game . . . like you always do mon ami.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    Moving up is just a fact of life. My friend don't like it if I play a tee box ahead . . . their point is that I hit my driver close to theirs . . . maybe 10 to 20 yards behind (sometime). So if I move up, I will be even or ahead of them. My point . . . from the same place on the second shot I am playing 4 iron or hybrid and they are hitting their 8 iron . . . not really fair.

So move up and enjoy the game . . . like you always do mon ami.
    Yes, i plan to. Good to hear from you.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    A friend of mine has serious physical issues and finally decided to move up to tees where he would be enjoying the game. He is fun to play with once again since he is not always hitting driver and 3 wood to get on a green
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    A friend of mine has serious physical issues and finally decided to move up to tees where he would be enjoying the game. He is fun to play with once again since he is not always hitting driver and 3 wood to get on a green
    I have a good friend also Luc that has physical issues and he decided to move up also. He was saying that his hdcp. as not changed but he is scoring better. It has something to do with the rating system correct? Anyways, he is enjoying the game more.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Just got home from playing Tarpon Springs GC in Florida. My partner is a 3-4 times a year golfer. Convinced him to play from the yellow tees today and he had a terrific time. Told me that is the first time he has played 18 holes with the same ball.

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    I have had the privilege of playing with these gentleman during the years Lyle. They also have fond memories of you when i mention your name. Moving up to senior tees was hard on my male ego but when you are going for the green with a hybrid 4 or 5 and at best a 5 iron, it wears me down and no fun.Will be going up to see you guys in Greensmere this year, promise.Now come on golf season!!!
    Does this mean you will get a push cart?
    He who hits last, walks alone

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDAH View Post
    Does this mean you will get a push cart?
    Never !!!! LOL. Dont have plans for one for another 20 years at least.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I have suggested to my brother who just took up the game to play from the forward tees when we go to Florida in late March. He has been taking lessons all winter (indoors) on a simulator and says he hits it straight but that distance is not great but that his teacher said that will come. With that in mind I told him that forward tees may be more enjoyable especially if you are not hitting driver then 3 wood on every par 4 and still not reaching the green. None of us are long hitters but the courses are all pretty challenging already so hopefully he tries the forward tee and really enjoys the game.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I have suggested to my brother who just took up the game to play from the forward tees when we go to Florida in late March. He has been taking lessons all winter (indoors) on a simulator and says he hits it straight but that distance is not great but that his teacher said that will come. With that in mind I told him that forward tees may be more enjoyable especially if you are not hitting driver then 3 wood on every par 4 and still not reaching the green. None of us are long hitters but the courses are all pretty challenging already so hopefully he tries the forward tee and really enjoys the game.
    Last year in Myrtle Beach, i suggested this to my buddy. At first he wasnt too shure but after a few days, he discovered that you can have more fun especially when its your first games of the year. Some of the courses we played where top notch ( TPC Myrtle, Pawleys Island,Caledonia, Grande Dunes,Heritage etc..) so it just made sense. He now plays from the senior tees.

yes, it makes sense, you all end up about the same distance from the green on your next shots and it takes very little time on the tee box to move up and everyone has fun!
    Lefty Lucas

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    Keep promoting Guys !!!

need some broken tees on the forward blocks..

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Mark---say it isn't so ! There are so many seniors down here I figured I would give it a try---screwed up my whole game---especially when they yelled " get a skirt !!!"
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Mark---say it isn't so ! There are so many seniors down here I figured I would give it a try---screwed up my whole game---especially when they yelled " get a skirt !!!"
    LOL. I hear you buddy but i think its time for me.

Golf Pig of the Year 07,08 rpangman is on a distinguished road rpangman's Avatar
    From one Golf Pig of the Year to another. I play senior's tees when they are available. I'm 73 and still have a 10 handicap. Move on up. Nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rpangman View Post
    From one Golf Pig of the Year to another. I play senior's tees when they are available. I'm 73 and still have a 10 handicap. Move on up. Nothing wrong with it.
    Thanks buddy.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I was thinking of tee-ing it up from where my wife smashes it to from the whites. I might've been more competitive with her last year.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Lob Wedge sam58 is on a distinguished road
    Welcome back, hope you will enjoy your season with us.

Quote Originally Posted by sam58 View Post
    Welcome back, hope you will enjoy your season with us.
    Thanks buddy. I plan on it. See ya opening day.

Hey guys--hope this does not take from the thread. What is considered senior tees ? I am here in Orlando looking at 10 different scorecards---------------not one card denotes "senior" or "forward" tees. On the good middle of the road courses there are 5 to 6 tee boxes (7000 yards to 4700) and the lower ranked courses have 3 or 4. (6200 to 4800 yards) There is also no definitive color ---they seem to use whatever is in the paint can. I usually play from the whites 5800 -6200--16 hdc.

When there is no actual definition---what is the "senior tee" ? OR is this only found on upper echelon courses. Funny that fairway distances are red-white--blue (most times) wonder why tee markers are not uniform.

Good time in the south but can't wait to get back from the circus---enough said

I guess the way i look at it Bryan is anything around 5800-5500 yrds works for me. Anything over 6000 yrds and i start to have problems with par 4's. Thats the way i look at it and not by colour. As you mentioned, some places dont go by the same colours that we do here in the Ottawa Gatineau area. When you coming back home? Re-joining Buckingham this year so we got to get a round in sometime.

Hey Mark---I should go up the road about 2 miles---I hear there are about 150 PGA members playing around there---maybe they can answer. Leaving April 1st----got to get game count to 24

This year for sure---no excuses.

I was just thinking---I am playing better but I have noticed that my distance is fluctuating a lot more and the score shows it most times. A 700/800 yd difference is 3 or 4 shots-----a little more control on second shots may make a difference AND if you removed the EGO factor that may give you another 1 or 2. How's my thinking ????

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    Hey Mark---I should go up the road about 2 miles---I hear there are about 150 PGA members playing around there---maybe they can answer. Leaving April 1st----got to get game count to 24

This year for sure---no excuses.

I was just thinking---I am playing better but I have noticed that my distance is fluctuating a lot more and the score shows it most times. A 700/800 yd difference is 3 or 4 shots-----a little more control on second shots may make a difference AND if you removed the EGO factor that may give you another 1 or 2. How's my thinking ????
    Lol. yep like the way your thinking buddy. Looking forward to playing with you and Diane this summer. Its been at least 10 years !!!

Sand Wedge DMWARREN is on a distinguished road
    It's too bad Like me they would enjoy the game more and not be the ones accused of slow play.more seniors wouldn't move up to a tee box where they belong.

Thread Information