CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter Katherine is on a distinguished road

Question What are some decent, reasonably priced sets for lady beginner? (second hand)

I am 5'9" tall with a wrist to floor height of 35.5". I am brand spanking new to golf, so I don't want to invest a whole lot into a beginner set until I know if I really like the game.

Can anyone suggest some brands of golf clubs I should be searching for on used merchandise sites (ie Kijiji etc)? I searched Ottawa kijiji and was a bit overwhelmed. My budget is only $100 including bag etc. I don't mind older clubs as long as they are reasonable quality (ie won't crack or have the head break off etc).

Is there a good golf club size chart so I can figure out what size of clubs may fit me best? I googled for some but they were all for men the ones I found.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    First of all, your budget is a little low if you want reasonable quality. I would double it to at least $200. As you may have noticed, there is an active market for used golf clubs so if the game doesn't work out for you then you can probably sell your $200 to $250 used set for $100 to $150 - so your long-term investment will be minimal.

Secondly, I would search based on "style" of clubs rather than by brand. Look for key words like "forgiving", "game-improvement", etc. That being said, there are certain brands that are better "value" than others, mostly because they have less money invested in their marketing.

My daughter has the same specs as you, and I bought her used clubs through several people on this forum about three years ago for less around $200 all-in. She has Maltby irons, which are the house brand for GolfWorks (whose Canadian office is here in Ottawa). She still loves them. Used golf clubs from "component" club brands like GolfWorks, Hireko, Dynacraft and Acer offer incredible value if you can find them locally (which is not easy). Her fairway woods are older-model Adams, which is a major golf brand that makes excellent clubs at a reasonable price. She loves the 7-wood and 9-wood, occasionally uses the 5-wood but hates the 3-wood. Her original driver was an old Nike, but she upgraded to a new Callaway this year now that she has decided she really likes the game. She loves her new driver, but it cost more than the rest of her bag combined. Such is the economics of buying golf equipment!

If you are in Ottawa anytime soon, I would suggest that GolfWorks on Industrial Ave near St. Laurent would be a good place for you to visit. Very knowledge and helpful staff, who can certainly help you with your club-fitting questions. They might be at the Golf show next week too. Good luck in your search - and have fun!

Putter Katherine is on a distinguished road
    Thanks justsomeguy, invaluable information. I will check out GolfWorks soon - you're not the first to mention them so I think it's worth a drive to Ottawa (I live in Petawawa so it's a bit of a jaunt for me).

For lower end of the quality scale, what are some brands I should be looking at? I know Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade are good brands but I most likely can't get a set of used ones for $200 or less, so I need to check out other brands.

Putter smitty114 is on a distinguished road
    Last time I was in GolfWorks they where selling men's and ladies Top-Flite complete sets for a very reasonable price. Can't remember exactly what they where but would probably be perfect for someone starting out.

Thread Information