CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge cspin is on a distinguished road

Mid-Build Screen and Backup Netting Issue

Hi All,
    In need of some help. Long story short, I'm to the point where I've got backup archery netting and HQ screen installed. Using angle iron along the ceiling of my garage, and also along the right vertical wall. I have no wall on the left, so went with aircraft cable and tensioner into an eyebolt anchored into the concrete. The backup archery netting is basically 10' wide x 10' tall with grommets along the sides and top. It is attached to the angle iron on the top and right side with zip ties and with bungees to the cable on the left side. The bottom is not attached and there is about 1' of material draped on the floor. The archery netting has 2" wide Velcro (hook) sewn into the webbing on both of the vertical sides, and horizontally across the top about 2' down. This was done to allow the HQ screen (10' x 7'6" = 4:3 image) to Velcro (loop) attach to the backup archery on the sides and across the top. I have archery side and ceiling protection panels but they are not installed yet.

I threw a few balls against the screen just to check it out. After contact, the archery and HQ material reverberate for a few seconds, basically slapping against each other until the movement of the two materials stop. It makes a slapping sound 3 or 4 times during this period when the two materials contact each other. I did a lot of research before ordering this set-up and most everyone indicated that their backup (baffle) netting is right up against the HQ screen. Not sure if others have encountered the same thing, but it seems odd. It is definitely different than the other sims I've been in.

I don't think the screen and netting is too loose or too tight. The ball pretty much drops to the ground when thrown against the screen. There is a definite wave to the screen and archery netting when I hit it with my hand, and it makes the same reverb type noise. It just appears to be the two materials smacking against one another until they come back to rest.

Has anyone experienced and/or heard of something like this? Not sure if the problem is the two materials being velcro'd to each other around the perimeter. I imagine this would not happen if the backup archery netting was just connected at the ceiling and allowed to drape loose, as it would then deflect backwards quite a bit on contact, rather than being tied to the HQ screen.

Any help would be much appreciated!! The only thing I can think of is to modify the setup to separate the two materials by 3" or 4". Really don't want to go that route because this custom setup will then require mods.

Thanks!

cspin

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    My guess is something is too tight but it's only a guess.

Lob Wedge cspin is on a distinguished road
    You may be right on it being too tight. Here is a pic (albeit crooked) of my screen. The archery netting is attached on 3 sides. The screen is just attached to the archery via Velcro. I had tabs sewn onto the sides of the HQ just in case I ever needed them, but the plan was that it be right up against the archery, fastened with Velcro on three sides. A shock cord runs through a sleeve on the bottom of the HQ. The side and top archery panels are designed to attach to double-sided Velcro on the HQ sides and top. So, the screen is velcro'd to the back archery, and the side and top panels attach around the perimeter of the HQ to create an enclosure. The HQ is essentially sandwiched in between the Velcro on the back archery panel and the side/top panels. The side and top panels are to be suspended by cabling.

Debating whether to mod the setup by separating the screen from the archery by a few inches. Not doing that until I try some different things like letting some of the tension out. Don't think I'd be having this issue though, if the screen was attached to the frame under proper tension, and the backup archery was draped loose and allowed to spring backward on impact.

Any other thoughts?

Thx!

IMG_2210.jpg

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    It looks pretty tight. Another drawback of being too tight is it'll wear out faster. Especially HQ. It's not the most durable. Guys have had them for years but others have blown through them.

Sand Wedge Godfather68 is on a distinguished road
    I have archery net hanging directly infront of blackout material, the only tension comes from the track at the top where both materials are joined directly together, they then both hang with the net having to 10kg weights in the bottom two corners resting on the floor, the setup is not tight and when the ball hits you can sort of see the net "catches" the ball rather than the ball hitting the net and bouncing off, there is no further sound and the ball drops to the ground. Looks to me like it is all a bit too tight.IMG_3890.jpgIMG_0304.jpgIMG_5863.jpgIMG_5096.jpg

Thread Information