CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter newguy441 is on a distinguished road

New to Ottawa, looking at membership

Hey everyone,
    I just moved here from Alberta, new to the area entirely and was looking at joining a Club. I'm likely to be in Ottawa for a few years and considering private or high end public. Anyone have any insight on what the best club would be in the area? Conditions?Price?Amenities? etc. I'm an 11 handicap, anticipate playing 3-4 times a week.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

NewguytoOttawa

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    what part of the west end are you in? Kanata?

In terms of courses, you have a few options for high end courses. Clublink with Kanata and Eagle Creek out there are well worth it if that is in your budget. Gives you access to 3 other courses in the area and 1 in Tremblant.

Other than that, Loch March is a great track, though public. Stonebridge is in the south end and a nice public track. A bunch of guys on here are are members at Rideauview but that is south of Manotick and a very nice track. The Royal Ottawa could be another option depending on how far west you are. Old course, great clubhouse, though I am not a huge fan of the course itself.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    What part of Ottawa do you live in?

If you are only going to be in Ottawa for a few years, you probably do not want a club that has initiation fees. So that likely eliminates ClubLink courses, Ottawa Hunt and Royal Ottawa.

depends. With Clublink, depending on age, you can spread that over 15 years so while there is an initiation, the cost can be relatively small per yearand I believe you can walk away at any time.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Initiation fees are going the way of the do-do in this market.
    Andrew

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I would suggest you buy a discount green fee membership such as the one offered here, Reservation Masters/Golf Select, you get to play the majority of Ottawa courses at a highly discounted rate and that way you can see if one of the courses you play would fit for a membership next year. Example, Marshes - green fee $120+, RM rate $45
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Putter newguy441 is on a distinguished road
    I'm in the Barrhaven area. When i say a few years, I'm hoping to be here for a while. Wouldn't mind paying an initiation as long as the value is there.

Closest course I guess would be Stonebridge. Looks nice. Ottawa Hunt is fairly close too and looks absolutely beautiful, but appears tough to gain access, need to know a member for membership it appears. Rideau view is pretty close too. There's actually lots of golf courses within a 20-30 minute drive. Royal Ottawa being in QC is a bit of a trek for me, not sure that makes sense, although I've heard good things about it, good greens mainly.

Stonebridge is a fun track though not private at all and no real private or semi-private club atmosphere. If you want the private club experience within a relatively short drive I would suggest Rideauview or the Hunt. You can't go wrong with either.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Stonebridge is a fun track though not private at all and no real private or semi-private club atmosphere. If you want the private club experience within a relatively short drive I would suggest Rideauview or the Hunt. You can't go wrong with either.
    I agree. Other options might be Carleton Golf & Yacht and Cedarhill, though I'm not really familiar with either.

The Ottawa-Gatineau Golf Expo is March 4-5 at EY Centre. As a newcomer to the area, you should probably plan to attend .

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I agree. Other options might be Carleton Golf & Yacht and Cedarhill, though I'm not really familiar with either.

The Ottawa-Gatineau Golf Expo is March 4-5 at EY Centre. As a newcomer to the area, you should probably plan to attend .
    middle of the road courses IMHO - ok but I wouldn't want to play them every day.

7 Wood zacmac19 is on a distinguished road
    Carleton Golf & Yacht club is pretty close to you. Great course, always in great condition. Always guys looking to get a game together, mens league is a blast ( wednesdays ), Saturday 16 - 24 guys always get together for a handicapped game of blind partners. If you want more info you can send me a message and I'd be glad to answer. Whether you're a scratch or a 20 handicap Carleton offers challenges for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    middle of the road courses IMHO - ok but I wouldn't want to play them every day.
    How can you put carleton and cedar hill in the same category, and second of all why do you think carleton is a "middle of the road" course?

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Hey Zac truthfully for me i'd lean towards the same description for both however Carleton is certainly in better shape than Cedar Hill.

Carleton is nowhere near the quality of golf layout wise as Hunt Club, Royal Ottawa, Rideauview or the good club link tracks. From length to layout to hole design for me after playing it quite a few times it just doesn't add up to a great experience.

Don't dislike the course but certainly not one of my faves. All just personal preference ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Hey Zac truthfully for me i'd lean towards the same description for both however Carleton is certainly in better shape than Cedar Hill.

Carleton is nowhere near the quality of golf layout wise as Hunt Club, Royal Ottawa, Rideauview or the good club link tracks. From length to layout to hole design for me after playing it quite a few times it just doesn't add up to a great experience.

Don't dislike the course but certainly not one of my faves. All just personal preference ultimately.
    Fair enough, but as for people using "length" as a decider, keep in mind, Mens City and District lowest score at the course was 73 (+2). Might not have the length as RV, Hunt, and others, but it's still a tough challenge.

I, for one was one of those "Oh carleton blah blah easy, short course" people growing up playing RV, Camelot, Hunt, but once I played Carleton and actually gave it a chance, it's a very tough course. More people need to give it a chance to truly realize how it is.

Always in tip top shape.

Quote Originally Posted by zacmac19 View Post
    How can you put carleton and cedar hill in the same category, and second of all why do you think carleton is a "middle of the road" course?
    just my opinion. I think it's middle of the road with regards to some of the other courses mentioned (Hunt, Rideauview, Eagle, Kanata, etc). The layout is kinda boring, flat and generally unmemorable. It's a notch or 2 above ceder hill perhaps but I can take it or leave it. The OP was looking for a high end course and I woundn't consider it such. I also never claimed it was easy.

7 Wood pagman is on a distinguished road pagman's Avatar
    Do yourself a favour and join Rideauview if you live in Barrhaven. Send me a PM if you want additional details or set you up with the GM to discuss your options.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Stonebridge makes sense based on your location but if you are looking for a Private club make sure to give Carleton Golf & Yacht Club a try before drawing conclusions based on other peoples preferences. It is a fun, challenging track, always in top condition and has a great Men's league and full calendar of other fun men's events throughout the year. It is close to Barrhaven and has a very accessible tee sheet unlike some other private courses in the area.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    You get what you pay for. Carleton is a good choice and is reasonably priced. Some great guys to play with and the course is very easy to walk. Rideau View has always been a personal favourite. If you're looking for a private club that's a good choice, but be warned that the course is busy and accessibility to the t sheet could be an issue. Hunt combines the best practice facility, excellent location, best golf course and t sheet accessibility but is also the most expensive. If you are considering Hunt send me a PM and I can help with more information and a list of contacts. Hunt has undergone a recent renovation and the original 18 is absolutely fantastic. It's actually a 27 hole course so there is tons of variation. All three courses offer reciprocal privileges. I've played some of hunt's reciprocates in Montreal and Toronto - wow! No charge either, so it's a bonus if you are in those areas.

Thread Information