CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

1 & 2 plane swings

Jim Hardy and Peter Jacobson were on Academy Live showing the one plane vs 2 plane swing. Its kind of a take on Moe Norman but not really. The one plane swing seems alot easier on the body. This was stressed with Jacobson and another Chamion Pro who switched to the one plane recently. I am definitely getting Hardy's book as my swing is very much 1 plane but needs some tweaking. Dont we all? I think Hardy's book is called "The Plane truth about the Golf Swing" or something like that.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Andru
    I just made a switch and my back is feels much better.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Andru, where did you get your info from to make the switch? Do you have Jim Hardy's book?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road
    I was a bit of a mix but mostly one plane. After reading that article, I decided to give two plane a try. I actually found it easier on the body. You don't have to restrict your hip turn to coil your spine against it. I just let my hips and shoulders turn as far as they like and swing away. I think it's not as mechanical: you need better timing and such to be accurate and consistent but I find it much easier physically. The hard part is avoiding a slice: you really need to get your hands moving to prevent your hips and shoulders from getting ahead of them.

cheers,

Kris

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    Andru, where did you get your info from to make the switch? Do you have Jim Hardy's book?
    While this guy doesn't teach the one plane it is a one plane swing.

www.paulbertholy.com

Here are the basic adjusments.

Did the drills in the book and bent over more from the hips. That's about it.

Still becoming natural but I hit it much straighter. Mistakes tend to be a push. That only happens when I allow my weight to get outside of my right foot.( I'm a righty) It's a very nice simple action.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    While this guy doesn't teach the one plane it is a one plane swing.

www.paulbertholy.com

Here are the basic adjusments.

Did the drills in the book and bent over more from the hips. That's about it.

Still becoming natural but I hit it much straighter. Mistakes tend to be a push. That only happens when I allow my weight to get outside of my right foot.( I'm a righty) It's a very nice simple action.
    Andru, I am also doing the paul bertholy drills and find that although I am making much crisper contact and getting more distance I also have a tendancy to push about 30-40% of the time. What do you do to prevent the push?

Andru
    I started keeping the weight on the inside of my right foot and really trying to clear my hips. My feeling ( which means I may not actually be doing it ) is the hips start to turn (not slide) out of the way before I hit the top of my back swing. To do this I need to have that pressure built up on my right leg to push off.

When I let my weight get outside my right foot I can't get my hips cleared and because the drills have me coming inside I end up pushing it. So I've been doing this. I place the head of a club under the outside of my right foot. it helps me maintain that pivot point. Be careful not to reverse pivot though. As soon as my left shoulder hits my chin my lower body starts to uncoil.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I started keeping the weight on the inside of my right foot and really trying to clear my hips. My feeling ( which means I may not actually be doing it ) is the hips start to turn (not slide) out of the way before I hit the top of my back swing. To do this I need to have that pressure built up on my right leg to push off.

When I let my weight get outside my right foot I can't get my hips cleared and because the drills have me coming inside I end up pushing it. So I've been doing this. I place the head of a club under the outside of my right foot. it helps me maintain that pivot point. Be careful not to reverse pivot though. As soon as my left shoulder hits my chin my lower body starts to uncoil.
    Along with with the chance of creating a reverse pivot, I find that if I concetrate on keeping my weight on the inside of my right foot I have a better chance of drawing or slightly hooking the ball. In Tiger's book he says that at the top of your backswing your weight should be on your right heel.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    Along with with the chance of creating a reverse pivot, I find that if I concetrate on keeping my weight on the inside of my right foot I have a better chance of drawing or slightly hooking the ball. In Tiger's book he says that at the top of your backswing your weight should be on your right heel.
    In Tiger's book he was describing his 2 plane action. We're talking about a one plane action. As I mentiioned in my post it's only a feeling. If you consult

http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...ingplane5.html

Jim Hardy talks about the weight shift or the lack of weight shift during the one plane swing. While it didn't work for me I found keeping the weight inside promoted a more powerful and straighter ball. I actually hit a beautiful little cut shot with my driver and I draw my short irons. When the weight gets cnetered or outside my right foot. I hit a push. Everytime.

Cheers

Thread Information