100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Cbdboz

2016 Launch monitors & home sim set up

Hi all,

great forum here and some excellent postings on different set ups, which I have found very useful.

I am in the "design stage' of building my home Sim, and after seeing some great articles here, and on a separate site as well...(for reference: https://mediocre.com/forum/topics/ho...lator-buildout)

I have cleared a 10*10*10 space...with about 3m additional space for swing...and now just buying the cage corners, poles, netting, impact screen, and possibly blackout covers to make the projected image even brighter....

LAUNCH MONITOR / SIM:
    for now, i will be making use of the Optishot 2, which I recognise is more of a entry model and club speed / face measurement tool...but using as a starting point.

in terms of the next step up, have been looking for a 2nd hand GC2, but other than a possible eBay trap at $2k, would seem that the best price would be around $3.5k.

so I have been trying to keep tabs on the PGA merchandise show, and would be keen to hear if anyone has attended and checked out the latest from Skytrack, or the new ES16. Like most on this forum, looking for the magic combination of accuracy, SIM play and at best value for money...

CAGE / NETTING / SCREEN
    looks like I am ok for sourcing the cage and netting (multiple options on amazon..where just have to buy poles separately) , but not sure where I would get an impact screen to project image on to???

I may use for Movies and home theatre as well, but most likely would get a separate pull down screen in the cage, as I'm sure the surface would get a bit marked after a few 000 golf balls...

welcome any feedback non the 2016 LM's, impact screens..and all advise on considerations and potential pitfalls on home sim setup would be most appreciated.

..I will then update on progress as I roll out.

cheers

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    Skytrak is going to be your answer. Doubt your going to see anymore used gc2's in the 3.5k range in the near future. And the new ones are getting more expensive.

4 Iron psgolfer is on a distinguished road
    If your not in a rush wait till summer time, you might find a deal on a GC2.........a deal these days guessing will be in $4K range.

There was a nike gc2 that sold for $3000 that was basically an GC2A. Gotta keep a real, real, real close eye open.

Sand Wedge double_bogey is on a distinguished road double_bogey's Avatar
    Cbdboz, just FYI this used GC2a w 18 hours to go in bidding (I believe it's an Apple-compatible 'a' model looking at the 'A' in the serial number but don't hold me to it) seems quite reasonably priced if one can get it below $4k (I would buy if I wasn't stuck to my SkyTrak and have committed to staying w my SkyTrak for rest of year to see how things play out w SkyTrak):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191803016014...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And I'm just guessing higher serial number means newer units? I'm not sure at all about this so don't hold me to it. But if true this one looks newer than another Apple-compatible unit w a lower serial number that just got sold for $4,551 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foresight-Sp...vip=true&rt=nc). Also it is mentioned that there is a crack which might mean it might have been dropped before - not sure but at least from the pictures it seems like the unit was able to boot up ok using v1.7 firmware?

Good luck.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    If it has a crack in it are people sure they want to spend $4k for it as it sounds like a gamble to me. The thing could have been dropped or something and could be out of alignment? Why take a chance?

Cbdboz
    thanks for the tips guys,,,tbh I had been watching this bit on eBay..but this one looks like it is going for $4k+

...I had seen one just recently on eBay for $3k, but when I went to bid the conditions were $2.5k on a buy now, and he would take the item off eBay for me if I confirmed I wanted to buy now....hmm, sounded a bit strange to me.

I would love Skytrak to be a real sim contender...but seems like a never ending saga that one....

meanwhile, sorting out cage, net, hitting screen and turf.

4 Iron psgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    If it has a crack in it are people sure they want to spend $4k for it as it sounds like a gamble to me. The thing could have been dropped or something and could be out of alignment? Why take a chance?
    Hey Dax, the foot piece on the GC2 is made with cheap plastic. When I got mine it was broken, a bit of crazy clue, perfect. Mthunt broke his too and the foresight rep replaced for free. I'm shocked they haven't gone to a different material for the foot stand.

I bought my GC2 on Ebay for $3,350 with a cracked foot. Bottom line is, if for any reason the unit isn't as described Ebay has you covered. The ebay buyer protection is the best out there.

Yes doublebogey, the higher the serial number, the newer the unit. A in the serial number does mean apple compatible.

Thread Information