100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge drewtaylor21 is on a distinguished road

GC2 private purchase buyer protection (PayPal)

I've read PayPal's buyer protection pages, and it seems fairly straightforward, but I was hoping to get confirmation from some who have been through this process.

If a private seller sends an invoice stating what the item is and that it is in working order, and I pay using "pay for goods or services," I am covered if the item doesn't show up or ends up not working, correct?

Just want to double check before spending a chunk of money. Thanks!

Lob Wedge 12tree is on a distinguished road
    Don't do it. I caught at least two people false advertising GC2s onEbay. If it sounds too good to be true it is. No one sells a GC2 barely used for $2,000-$2,500. Report it when you see it so no one gets caught up in the scam.

Lob Wedge 12tree is on a distinguished road
    Don't do it. I caught at least two people false advertising GC2s onEbay. If it sounds too good to be true it is. No one sells a GC2 barely used for $2,000-$2,500. Report it when you see it so no one gets caught up in the scam.

Quote Originally Posted by 12tree View Post
    I'm not referring to an eBay item. Just wanted more info regarding the safety of private purchase via PayPal. I'm wanting to make sure I didn't overlook something in their buyer protection policy *just in case*

I was put in touch with a potential seller via a former instructor. Everything seems legit, just making sure I cover my bases. Thanks!

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Isn't it better to ask paypal directly. There are pitfalls to using paypal.

2 Iron scrollerpete is on a distinguished road
    Been using PayPal for over 10 years and I had always good service with them. You are well protected if items not as described or does not arrive, they will refund your money. You still have to make sure that the vendors have a good reputation.
    scrollerpete

Thanks Pete. If you were making a large purchase using PayPal outside of eBay, are there any extra steps you would take to be sure you were protected? I've asked my contact about the seller and he seems legit and trustworthy. I've also asked the seller for pics of the product in working order.

In addition to that, for PayPal security purposes, an invoice is necessary, correct?

Got my answer, Mods feel free to lock/delete the thread. Thanks

Maybe you could share your information with the rest of the community?

I'd be happy to. It may not be terribly revelatory for many of you, but hopefully this will help someone down the road.

I perused PayPal's forums and tried to find the exact answers I was looking for in their FAQ's and forums, but wasn't entirely satisfied that I had all the details. I ended up calling them and discussed the situation with a customer service rep. Here's what I was told I needed to do to make sure I was covered:

- Pay using "pay for goods or services"
    - No invoice required
    - If item doesn't show up or isn't as described, open a claim first, do NOT send the item back to seller (I would add that it seems vital to have a description of the item's condition prior to purchase)
    - Use a credit card (additional recourse with your financial institution)
    - Pay in full, do NOT break payment up

As long as the above are accomplished, paying a private seller for a used GC2 is covered by PayPal under buyer protection.

4 Iron psgolfer is on a distinguished road
    Yes, you are fully covered by paypal. When I sold my skytrak it was to a guy that emailed me via a youtube video I did.

I sent him a paypal invoice detailing what I was selling. I made sure that I was sending the unit to CONFIRMED address.

No issues all went well and I save $200 in ebay fee's.

Thanks for your post. I've only used PayPal within ebay and had heard the fine print could bite you if you weren't careful. The single payment requirement is a good example.

Thread Information