+ Reply to Thread
    Putter CintiGolfer is on a distinguished road

Optishot 2 - Clubface Angle

I just purchased an Optishot 2 and I am getting some inconsistent results with the clubface angle. If I swing at 50-60% of a normal swing, the clubface angle reads very close to square. However, when I increase my swing speed to a normal swing speed (above 75%), the clubface angle is significantly closed (typically 10-12 degrees). I used to be a 0 handicap but I'm currently closer to a 5 since I'm not playing as much as I used to play. I know that the actual clubface angle is not closed 10-12 degrees.

I've compensated for this by entering a -.450 in the club offset. This gives me accurate readings with the full swing, but I am now getting a 10-12 degree open clubface on partial swings (which makes sense to me).

This is true for both irons and woods. I've taped my driver to get readings from it.

Has anyone else seen this type of clubface angle change when the swing speed is different? If so, how do you compensate for this?

Thanks.

Putter johnmeyer is on a distinguished road
    Hi,

I played an ran the Optishot Tour last season, and we got very good results with it. The absolute key is put reflective tape on the bottoms of your clubs, including your irons, and fully calibrate when you've done it. If you do that you should be able to put offets pretty much as manufacturer specs.

Im in the UK, so will have to find a local alternative but i used this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CI6EE7...GRTWXZMP761QMS

I found theres wasnt much need to "black out" any part of the bottoms of any of the clubs, as long as I had a trip of this parallel with the leading edge.

Also to improve readings make sure your minimise all other sources of IR in the room, so ideally blank out all windows and use overhead CFL lighting to reduce shadows.

With the proper setup Optishot can be a pretty decent setup for the money. Obviously it has its limitations regarding launch angle etc, but for path and club face readings its not too bad at all. The tour is being run by someone else this year, and they're playing ryder cup right now, so could try and head over there and ask what those guys have done too

Thanks for the suggestions.

For lighting, I am using overhead LED lights that are rated at 2700K. From what I can determine, these are not "daylight" lights. I have tried turning these off and just using some standard CFLs that are 4 feet above the swing pad but I get the same issue. I have also tried this at night and notice no difference so I don't think ambient light from the two small windows in my basement are a contributing factor.

When I sent Optishot an email, they told me that the value for the club offset has no impact if there is a calibration for the club. So far, I have found that I get better results with no calibration and manually entering the offset values.

I have a question about the calibration. I know that you are supposed to make 5 slow swings with a square club face, 5 slow swings with an open club face, and 5 slow swings with a closed club face. When you are making the open and closed swings, do you open/close the face 10 degrees and make a swing that is still directly towards the target line or do you aim 10 degrees open/closed and make a slow swing that is inside out/outside in?

As far as taping the irons, how well does the tape stick to the irons? When I tried to put some blackout tape on the back of my irons (which are already chrome and very reflective), the tape lasts one swing. I will try to put just some of the reflective tape that I purchased and see how this works. Also, does white or silver reflective tape work better? I tried silver on my driver and Optishot was finally able to read it.

8 Iron brcobb is on a distinguished road brcobb's Avatar
    I use white vinyl electrical tape as the reflective strip on all of my clubs and get excellent results. I have used black gorilla tape on my irons and they stick extremely well (maybe, too well). I have seen very little difference in using or not using the black tape on my irons. I definitely see a difference in using the white tape, even though the irons are "chrome".

As for calibration....Think putting stroke when you calibrate...Very slow and straight down the line.

1 Iron FaultyClubs is on a distinguished road
    I second the white vinyl tape. Definitely needed on driver but helps irons too. Also agree that you want a straight putting stroke for calibration and i used a template to make sure i was at 10 degrees every time.

Optishot actually works fairly well for the raw data although the depicted shot shape isn't too great and you do have to ignore outliers.

Thanks for the advice. I have tried the following:

1. Applied the white electrical tape.
    2. Calibrated the club using a putting motion.

I had already created a calibration guide with lines at 10 degrees open/closed so I would know how much to open/close the club face.

This solution has helped get a more consistent face angle on full swings. However I still have the problem with the wedges where if I make a full swing I get an accurate face angle reading, but with partial swings, I get an open face angle of 10-14 degrees. Even if I make a putting motion with a square club face, Optishot still registers a 10-14 degree open club face. Has anyone else noticed this difference in club face angle with a change in swing speed?

7 Wood wbond is on a distinguished road
    What kind of clubs are you using? If they are chrome, maybe try using matte black cloth tape on the flange and hosel just to make sure it's not picking up any other part of the club. I would just try one and see if you get any improvement.

Thread Information