CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge cspin is on a distinguished road

New Build - baffled by the baffle!

Well, I'm making progress...
    • garage space cleared X
    • launch monitor, projector and laptop acquired X
    • garage heater (waiting on 220v circuit install)
    • hitting mat X
    • enclosure and impact screen
    I have some things in the works on the enclosure, and looks like I am going with a 10' wide x 9.5' tall x 8' deep 1 3/8" tube frame enclosure, wrapped with heavy vinyl or Cordura nylon on the sides and top. I have the option of having the impact screen secured on three sides of the frame 1' from the back of the enclosure, and then installing a baffle netting secured anywhere from right behind the impact screen....up to a foot behind the impact screen (essentially wrapping around the back of the enclosure). For those who may ask, I am going through the hassle of a wrapped enclosure because I have drywall I am trying to get up close to...in order to max out my screen size. Typical netting requires a foot or more on the sides and ceiling, and I don't have the room, nor the gumption to mount permanent padded panels on the walls and ceiling like others have, although I did consider it.

I have read pretty much everything on this site, twice. I have seen where some have put the baffle netting right up against the back of the impact screen, and others a few inches behind, and some up to a foot behind. I have read that the baffle netting extends the life of the screen, yet can also make it louder on impact. Others have indicated no need for a baffle depending on screen material. Hence, the ...

My screen material is yet to be determined. I am leaning toward something like the CDG screen. Not sure it is worth going with Cory's HQ material as my projector is only 720P at 4:3. For the baffle I would use heavy duty nylon netting or possibly archery netting. As the screen is probably the most important part of the setup, I want to get it right. The plan is to have the impact screen attached via bungees to the tube frame on three sides, and then a small slot hemmed in the bottom of the screen for a tensioned stretch rope/cord pulled tight between the bottom frame corners to tension the screen against the flooring. Saw that setup at a local Golfsmith and it looked slick and worked pretty well, albeit they tied off to angle iron.

Whatever screen I go with I will probably want a baffle somewhere behind it, if not just for containment if a ball were to somehow get past the edges of the screen. I am certainly in favor of using one if it will reduce sound, impact forces, and extend my screen life.

Your thoughts and comments are much appreciated, and this site has been a great resource!

Cspin

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Use a net tight up to the back of your impact screen. The net makes 0% difference to the sound of the ball hitting the screen. The net is primarily full of holes, therefore moves no appreciable amount of air when it moves - source of noise is the impact screen movement when struck. But, the main benefit of the net is to prolong the life of your impact screen.

Also, don't use the logic of using your projector specs to determine impact screen image quality. Go with the HQ screen because it will give you a better image, regardless of projector, it will last longer, and you may end up ugrading your projector as well.

I have a 4:3 set-up, use the HQ screen and it is backed up tight with a golf net, projector is 1084 x 768. Image is very good - best that the projector can muster.

There is a detailed post on another forum of my build.

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    Agree with AJA put the netting up against your screen. I am using archery netting as I want the extra protection in the event the screen fails at some point.

Thread Information