100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    72 Divots

Question Full Relief Required?

When dropping from a water hazard. Do you need to take full relief (e.g., like when dropping from a cart path) or can you drop and hit the next shot with your feet within the margins of the hazard (as long as the ball is outside the hazard).

Thanks

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 72 Divots
    When dropping from a water hazard. Do you need to take full relief (e.g., like when dropping from a cart path) or can you drop and hit the next shot with your feet within the margins of the hazard (as long as the ball is outside the hazard).

Thanks
    Rule 26-1 Relief for Ball in Water Hazard says nothing about taking full relief. Having correctly dropped your ball, you may play with your feet inside the margin of the water hazard.

72 Divots
    Thanks Gary.

Follow-up question. Assuming I dropped correctly (i.e., within two club lengths), can I assume that should my feet remain in the hazard when taking my normal stance, I would be entiteld to drop again in order to gain full relief? Or, as long as the ball has been dropped appropriately, I must play it regardless of where my feet are? I'm assuming the latter is correct (since the rule does not refer to full relief) but I would like to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 72 Divots
    Thanks Gary.

Follow-up question. Assuming I dropped correctly (i.e., within two club lengths), can I assume that should my feet remain in the hazard when taking my normal stance, I would be entiteld to drop again in order to gain full relief? Or, as long as the ball has been dropped appropriately, I must play it regardless of where my feet are? I'm assuming the latter is correct (since the rule does not refer to full relief) but I would like to make sure.

Thanks in advance.
    There is no provision in the Rules giving you "stance" relief from a hazard.
    You must play the ball or declare it unplayable and proceed under Rule 28.

BTW- Dropping within two club lengths has nothing to do with the correct procedure for relief from a water hazard.
    You can drop where you last played OR drop behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped.

72 Divots
    Thanks Gary. Makes Sense.

I understand. I was referring to a lateral water hazard but I realize there are other options.

Thanks

Thread Information