100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter aevans410 is on a distinguished road

New optishot user needing help

Hello all,

I recently received a optishot 2 for Christmas. After installing the software and unboxing the unit, I started taking some test swings. I immediately noticed a yardage difference in my real life 7 iron yardage (140) to the in sim yardage (closer to 90 to 100). I scoured this forum and any other information on optimal light settings, taping clubs, setting up custom clubsets etc. I have CFL bulbs in light fixtures right above my swing pad, I've used desk lamps directly over it, blocked off all renegade sun light, turned off all lights around. No matter what I do I can't get the pad to register over 45 mph clubhead speed with my 7 iron and 70 club head speed with my driver. I have had a few shots register at the 140, but I would say it was 3 out of 200. Its pretty consistent at 45 to 50. The only way I've been able to get my real life yardage out of my 7 is to bump up the distance to 180 percent.

Is this common with optishot? I have no way of measuring my true club head speed right now, nor do I have access to an open range to hit a few to make sure my swing speed hasn't taken a nose dive. I didn't play a lot of golf last year and I;m about a 20 handicap, but I'm pretty sure I can swing a golf club faster than 45 mph through the hitting zone. Face readings seem accurate enough, as does swing path.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Allen

Putter staras is on a distinguished road
    Do you hit down aggressively on the golf ball? Perhaps your club head is being slowed down significantly before it reaches the second row of IR sensors at the front of the Optishot? The club head speed is calculated as a delta time between the back row of IR sensors and the front row of IR sensors. I certainly do not notice this much of a discrepancy between my true club head speed and that measured on the Optishot.

Are you getting consistent tempo times? This time is calculated by taking the difference between the first time the club passes the rear row of sensors (i.e. when you initiate the backswing) and the next time the club passes the rear row of sensors (i.e. the bottom of the downswing). Assuming your swing tempo is consistent you should be getting consistent readings for tempo. For example, 1.2 seconds. At least this way, you know the rear row of sensors is identifying the club head consistently, which means your lighting and club head taping is working fine.

Putter aevans410 is on a distinguished road
    Yea, my tempo is usually consistent, 1.2 to 1.3 seconds. Working with Jonathan from Optishot, we worked the issues out I believe. I had to bump my swing speed to 130 percent on my irons only, my driver is reading more accurately. However I seem to have it dialed in well enough to play. I played the first 4 at harbour town last night after getting it set up and had bogey, double bogey, par, par.. I figure if it is just being out of golf shape and my swing speed does increase, I'll just drop the swing percentage down.

Thread Information