CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge brattenj is on a distinguished road

Why a backup net?

I have a HQ screen and the Par2Pro site says it's made to withstand balls hit repeatedly. Why the need for a backing net?

I have a enclosure of 1" emt and thick drapes.

The screen is affixed to the drape with Velcro and bungee paracord gives the sides and bottom some nice elasticity.

Albatross mthunt is on a distinguished road
    Short answer: your screen will last longer. Netting will take some pressure off of the screen by supporting it and putting less stress on it.

Any prefered method to hanging netting behind screen on a 1" emt frame?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Also you will get less ball bounce back

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    Somewhere I read where another golfer had already put 2 holes in 2 different HQ screens. We had a little discussion about this and while he was happy with the HQ, his experience obviously pointed to the need to give the material a little more support. His solution was to put a net behind the impact screen.
    I have the HQ as well and have a net behind also. It's worth doing. The impct screen no longer takes the brunt of the impact.

Brat, attach the screen and netting to the same spot. The netting will be touching the back of the screen. That's fine.

3 Wood Stonebattle is on a distinguished road
    I was curious if anyone had tried a net in front of the screen. I know this will cut down on the image quality, but the screen should last a very long time with this. It seems one could use a lighter weight net and replace it every so often.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I have tried a thin white net in front of my impact screen but the image quality was so bad I took it down.

The screen on the golf channel has a net in front. I don't know why. You'd think the golf channel could figure out how to make a screen work.

5 Iron tonyd9366 is on a distinguished road
    I have a net behind my set up too and have had the same impact screen for two years and it's still going strong.. well worth the cost. I attached the netting to my emt pipes with zip ties first then I attached my impact screen to the frame in front of the netting using 10 inch bunji cords you can by at home depot and attaching then through the grommets. Works great and I get hardly no bounce back even hitting driver.. well worth it.

6 Iron Rickyg is on a distinguished road
    I have had my impact screen for 10 years and have no problem or signs of wear find having a net behind helps with impact

Par Dax is on a distinguished road
    I have the netting behind my screen primarily as a backup, but to also extend the screens life. With the ball travelling so fast with the driver, I don't want to take chances.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mthunt View Post
    The screen on the golf channel has a net in front. I don't know why. You'd think the golf channel could figure out how to make a screen work.
    That screen is set up with rear projected image so the actual screen is a back lit film. The net in front is black so when you look from the front you don't notice the net as much and the image on the back lit is not effected with shadow like it would if it were projected on the front.

When Sadlowski (how ever you spell his name) put a ball through the net it went through the thin back lit film as well and bounced around in the room behind the screen. Someone could have been easily hit if they were behind that area. The next episode they had a small patch over that spot on the back lit screen and you could hardly tell.

If I had the room to do this with space behind the hitting screen I would do the same. Picture is great on back lit film.

Quote Originally Posted by SFR View Post
    That screen is set up with rear projected image so the actual screen is a back lit film. The net in front is black so when you look from the front you don't notice the net as much and the image on the back lit is not effected with shadow like it would if it were projected on the front.

When Sadlowski (how ever you spell his name) put a ball through the net it went through the thin back lit film as well and bounced around in the room behind the screen. Someone could have been easily hit if they were behind that area. The next episode they had a small patch over that spot on the back lit screen and you could hardly tell.

If I had the room to do this with space behind the hitting screen I would do the same. Picture is great on back lit film.
    He actually went back and they got him to hit irons. He hit a 6 iron through the new net.

So if my screen is 12' W by 10' H what size net should I get?

1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road
    I'd probably get the same size or smaller. Depends on how the edges are finished. You can make a large net smaller.

My net was slightly smaller and with unfinished edges, so I put bungee cord through the outside edges of the net and then used heavy duty cable ties to fix the bungee to the frame. The bungee cord provides elasticity, but the net is tighter than the impact screen.

Thread Information