CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter evilelf is on a distinguished road

Offset adjustments a requirement with Optishot?

Hello all. I have combed though many of the posts in here. Great resource.

I have a decent setup in my garage now with a white sheet, almost golf balls, a projector, and a stance platform with thick monster turf. The tape trick really worked to boost the accuracy with my drivers, but I am still having issues with my irons.

For the life of me, I cannot get the sensor to pick up a closed face. Almost every shot is open. The Burner 2.0's are polished so they are very reflective and I am playing in an almost perfectly dark room. I entered the exact offset specifications from Taylormade but the open faces still haunt me. Do others find that even with entering these official measurements, the offset settings still needs to be tailored for each player?

I am starting to think that ball position in the stance, attack angle, etc. can change what the sensor sees as offset or a square face, so maybe these offset measurements just need to be treated as a starting point for each player.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

8 Iron brcobb is on a distinguished road brcobb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evilelf View Post
    ....For the life of me, I cannot get the sensor to pick up a closed face. Almost every shot is open. The Burner 2.0's are polished so they are very reflective and I am playing in an almost perfectly dark room. I entered the exact offset specifications from Taylormade but the open faces still haunt me. Do others find that even with entering these official measurements, the offset settings still needs to be tailored for each player?
    Are you placing the ball on the tee mark or in front of it? This does make a difference, since the Optishot software is expecting the ball to be at the mark. I have Callaway Apex irons and have entered the offsets. I don't have any issues. However, I do place a strip of white electrical tape on the bottom, even though they are polished. Many of us have found this greatly helps, especially with the more lofted clubs. It is a cheap fix...give it a try and see what you get. If you generally take heavy divots, you may find the readings are open since the software is doing a calculation from what it read in the first row and what it reads in the second row of sensors.

I also have 2 LED "spotlights" pointed at my sensors (1 pointed at each). The LED light doesn't mess with the IR sensors, but precludes shadows from anything in between the overhead LED and the sensors.

Putter evilelf is on a distinguished road
    I have since improved my lighting and by using the calibration feature, it has solved my clubface angle issues.

Optishot support has been incredible with answering my questions, even technical software ones. They stated that the calibration overrides the offsets if it is used. If you enter an offset after calibration, it then makes the software use the offsets, not the calibrations. I tested this and found this to be true. So, it is an either or decision to make.

Thread Information