CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron AJA is on a distinguished road

Vector Pro Microlenses

I've owned a Vector Pro for a short while and rarely used it. When I first got it I went through and hit most of my clubs and it worked fine.

Recently I noticed that it didn't seem to focus as sharply when doing the calibration. I seem to recall that the focus was pretty sharp and that I could hear some whirring inside the unit as it focused.

Hoping that a fellow Vector Pro owner help me out.

Firstly, is the focus "sharp" when the unit is calibrated? Clear logo, dimples, etc.

Second, does anybody know the procedure to adjust the microlenses to get them to focus. They are supposed to be autofocusing but the manual alludes to something that can be done to correct lenses that don't focus.

Thanks

3 Wood petah is on a distinguished road
    1. My vector pro with microlems does not focus super sharp. I wouldn't say the logo is in focus but you can see the definition of the dimples. I do hear the machine working when it's calibrating.

2. I didn't even know that you can manually focus. If you find out how to do it, please let me know.

So what is wrong with your unit? Is it not working as of late? My vector is also a recent acquisition and curious of its accuracy, I went to my local golf town and hit on their GC2 and compared the numbers to my vector. Backspin numbers are similar but I believe ball flight and distance is a bit off. I was reading much higher ball speeds with the vector. However, I have not tried hitting the vector at the range to see if the projected matches the real ball flight. But I am still playing with it at the moment so I can't be certain if something there is something wrong with my setup at home.

Hi! Thanks for answering.
    The fact that the machine makes some noise when calibrating seems to be the key to my issue(s). Mine is silent and the focus doesn't seem as sharp as I recall. I am guessing that the focusing mechanism may be stuck. I am likely going to take it apart to have a look inside. Apparently not recommended but there's nobody that services these units anymore.
    The manual focus adjustment (for microlenses) is mentioned in the user manual but it basically says to contact Support if this becomes necessary. Since there is no longer support available this is not an option.
    My Vector seemed to function OK when I first got it. it really emphasized my slice, which unfortunately is/was my shot shape. I didn't have a sim or anything else at the time. I got ProTee and that was accurate and I put the Vector away.
    Recently when my driving went off the rails, hooks, slices, straight hits, no pattern, I hooked up the Vector to "double check" if my ProTee was still providing good data.
    First surprise I got from the Vector was that swing speeds were lower by 20 - 25 mph. The slice fade bias was also present with hardly any shots going straight or left. This kind of contradicted what seemed to be happening on the ProTee.
    I think part of my current problem with the Vector is that it is not focusing properly.
    I was in contact with a fellow on the other forum that owns one and he was very negative and said that his Vector worked for his driver but was useless for other clubs. I found a printout from one of my early sessions where I hit a range of clubs and the numbers look convincing enough for the clubs that were used.
    No question in my mind that the Vector Pro is nowhere near as easy to use as a GC2 but it must have some merit since enough of them have been sold.

3 Wood petah is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the info. I played around with my vector pro last night and have concluded that the vector is a decent unit. Like you suggested, I think the ball flight is more pronounced when compared to the GC2, slices and draws appears to be magnified. However, I do believe they are the shape which you see in real life as the results are very similar to GC2. Ball speed also seems to be higher resulting in extra distances. For a cheap setup with constructive feedback, I think it's plenty good. Since I have limited ceiling space in my basement, I can only swing a 7 iron safely hence I didn't want to drop big money on a GC2 or the likes.

I have only used my unit with irons and there were some initial growing pains as not all shots were being picked up. But after learning how to place the ball properly, it's now registering 95% of shots. And the ones that don't register are usually thinned shots and the capture window will display images of one partial ball; I will chalk that up as user/crappy golfer error.

But I found something really interesting last night. Below are the average numbers with each combo of iron/ball. Look at the spin numbers. Difference between combo 1 and 2 is only the ball. The urethane cover ball spun at 6039 while the surlyn cover ball was 4513. Difference between combo 2 and 3 is the club. The S58 has the old box grooves hence it also generated more spin. It's too bad I was getting tired from swinging or I would have taken a couple more swings the the S58/penta combo to see the spin numbers. But with the observations noted below, I truly believe the vector pro is useful and can provide decently accurate feedbacks.

1. Mizuno JPX800 7 iron/Penta TP3
    BallSpeed 116.6
    ClubSpeed 87.7
    LaunchAngle 18.8
    BackSpin 5612.3
    SideSpin 115.3
    SideAngle -0.9
    Carry 167.2
    Total 172.5
    TotalSpin: 6039

2. Mizuno JPX800 7 iron/Titleist Velocity
    BallSpeed 118.2
    ClubSpeed 84.4
    LaunchAngle 19.7
    BackSpin 4452.2
    SideSpin 46.7
    SideAngle -0.3
    Carry 179
    Total 187.3
    TotalSpin: 4513.1

3. Ping S58 7 iron/Titleist Velocity
    BallSpeed 116.3
    ClubSpeed 86.1
    LaunchAngle 20.7
    BackSpin 5404.08
    SideSpin 571.7
    SideAngle 3.5
    Carry 166.9
    Total 172.4
    TotalSpin: 5462.7
    Last edited by petah; 12-13-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks for the numbers you posted.

What you have shown is that the Vector Pro actually does work as a launch monitor. It picks up the differences that are due to variations in balls or clubs quite nicely.

In my case, my primary unit is a ProTee sim and it will not pick up these subtle variations due to equipment. For that the Vector should be useful, if I can sort my unit out and get it to function properly.

Thread Information